It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Increasing Dosage of Lexapro Too Soon?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-11-2005, 06:00 PM   #1
    jitteryme
    (female)

jitteryme HB User
    Increasing Dosage of Lexapro Too Soon?

I just started taking Lexapro one week ago today. I have been taking one half of a tablet at 6:30 p.m. (It's either .05 or .5 I'm not sure). I am also taking xanax as needed to get me through the nervous jittery times. I went to the doctor today and told her that I had been having difficulty sleeping and asked about switching the Lexapro to the mornings. She said that was fine and I could start right away. She also suggested that I start taking the whole tablet.

I went home, took the whole tablet and was fine for a bit. I started feeling the anxiety creep in so I took a quarter of a xanax to take the edge off. About three hours after taking the Lexapro I felt a bit tired and since I haven't been sleeping, I tried to take a nap. About an hour later I woke with a huge start, shock, burning feeling and very anxious. I have been "feeling the burn" this past week but not like this. It was like a jolt from my sleep and it really scared me.

My question is this, does increasing the dosage of Lexapro too soon trigger things like this? Should I try for three-quarters of the tablet tomorrow or try to stick it out with the whole one? I did not like that feeling at all!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2005, 07:58 PM   #2
    jjules
    (female)

jjules HB User
    Re: Increasing Dosage of Lexapro Too Soon?

Hi, you were taking 5mg and now you are up to 10mg-too soon I think. I on the other hand have been taking 5mg of Lexapro for 5 weeks and I am doing really great on it I wish she would have gave me the Xanax but oh well. I do not plan to up mine unless things go back to the way they were. It takes several weeks for the full effect and I really think you shouldn't have upped it quite yet talk to your Dr. immediately. Best o luck Jules

Old 08-11-2005, 10:32 PM   #3
    NathanF41
    Inactive
    (male)

NathanF41 HB User

This has me very very curious. My doctor gave me a lexpro starter kit, that I'm not starting at the moment....and the are 2 weeks worth of 10mg pills. No 5mgs or anything. This suddenly sounds like a major oversight to be giving me 10mgs before ever starting any lower??

Old 08-12-2005, 04:42 AM   #4
    smc612
    (male)

smc612 HB User

hi nathan, my dr. also gave me samples of 10 mg of lexapro. told me to break them and only take 5mg. in the morning for a week. if i feel better with no side effects after a week i can try the full 10 mg. if side effects start go back to 5mg. it may be enough for me. i don't intend to try the 10 mg unless weeks into it the 5 is not doing anything. i am very sensitive to SSRI's and believe the 5mg will be enough . as with jules who is still only taking 5mg after several weeks i believe with some of us it is enough. i also will be taking .5 mg of klonopin at night to aid in sleeping. i know many peole that take different SSRI's in the morning and a low dose of benzo,s at night . seems to work for all of them.keep plugging with the dr. most think you want a benzo to get high. mine knows i am not a pill popper unless it is necessary and that i am so hyper all a benzo does is takes the edge off. they don't make me groggy or sleepy, they just take the edge off the shakiness and panic. good luck in your journey.

Old 08-12-2005, 06:20 AM   #5
    redherring

redherring HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jitteryme
    I just started taking Lexapro one week ago today. I have been taking one half of a tablet at 6:30 p.m. (It's either .05 or .5 I'm not sure). I am also taking xanax as needed to get me through the nervous jittery times. I went to the doctor today and told her that I had been having difficulty sleeping and asked about switching the Lexapro to the mornings. She said that was fine and I could start right away. She also suggested that I start taking the whole tablet.

I went home, took the whole tablet and was fine for a bit. I started feeling the anxiety creep in so I took a quarter of a xanax to take the edge off. About three hours after taking the Lexapro I felt a bit tired and since I haven't been sleeping, I tried to take a nap. About an hour later I woke with a huge start, shock, burning feeling and very anxious. I have been "feeling the burn" this past week but not like this. It was like a jolt from my sleep and it really scared me.

My question is this, does increasing the dosage of Lexapro too soon trigger things like this? Should I try for three-quarters of the tablet tomorrow or try to stick it out with the whole one? I did not like that feeling at all!

Weaning on Lexapro or any other SSRI's, too quickly can trigger temporary anxiety or PA's in people. Lexapro is the highly potent sister of Celexa. 5mgs of Lexapro = 20mgs of Celexa. Lexapro at 2.5 mgs made me agitated to the point that I quit after 3 weeks. Some people can tolerate Lexapro and do fine on it. I didn't.

Old 08-12-2005, 03:25 PM   #6
    cdsjtsmom
    (female)

cdsjtsmom HB User

My dr. gave me the starter pack too... i started on 10 mg. and 4 weeks later doubled to 20 mg. daily. I did not feel any effects of doubling up. I feel much better... just don't like the sweating side effects I am having....

Old 08-12-2005, 03:59 PM   #7
    shelley49001
    (female)

shelley49001 HB User

I have been taking Lexapro for a year and half now, they started me on 10mg right away and wanted to increase me to the max dosage of 20mg, I tried that for about a week, but couldn't get out of bed, I felt like I was chained to the bed, I can't imagine only taking 5mg's! It is a wonderful pill, it takes my anxiety away and keeps me on an even level. My advice to you, try what the doctors has ordered you to take, it takes up to 2 months to get the full effect of Lexapro. My mom can't take it, it makes her sick, but I feel great on it, WARNING: If you try and go off of it, watch out for feeling crazy, about 3 months ago, I decided that I wanted to try and handle life without it, well with any kind of medication you have to wean yourself off of it, and I was almost done with the transition of coming off of them and decided that maybe after all I should stay on it. Its one of the hardest drugs I have ever tried to come off of, the side effects of coming off of them are worst then going on them, its a wonderful drug, but please talk to your doctor first before taking them since coming off of them is so difficult. I know a few people who have had the same reactions I have had trying to come off of them...Its a scary thing...My only side effect when I started taking them was severe headaches that lasted every day for about 3 weeks, and now if I skip one, I will surely wake up with a bad headache, and when weaning off of them, the headache part is also the worst, at least its that way for me...BUT if you decide to stay on them, the drug is the best!

Old 08-12-2005, 07:26 PM   #8
    jjules
    (female)

jjules HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by shelley49001
    I have been taking Lexapro for a year and half now, they started me on 10mg right away and wanted to increase me to the max dosage of 20mg, I tried that for about a week, but couldn't get out of bed, I felt like I was chained to the bed, I can't imagine only taking 5mg's! It is a wonderful pill, it takes my anxiety away and keeps me on an even level. My advice to you, try what the doctors has ordered you to take, it takes up to 2 months to get the full effect of Lexapro. My mom can't take it, it makes her sick, but I feel great on it, WARNING: If you try and go off of it, watch out for feeling crazy, about 3 months ago, I decided that I wanted to try and handle life without it, well with any kind of medication you have to wean yourself off of it, and I was almost done with the transition of coming off of them and decided that maybe after all I should stay on it. Its one of the hardest drugs I have ever tried to come off of, the side effects of coming off of them are worst then going on them, its a wonderful drug, but please talk to your doctor first before taking them since coming off of them is so difficult. I know a few people who have had the same reactions I have had trying to come off of them...Its a scary thing...My only side effect when I started taking them was severe headaches that lasted every day for about 3 weeks, and now if I skip one, I will surely wake up with a bad headache, and when weaning off of them, the headache part is also the worst, at least its that way for me...BUT if you decide to stay on them, the drug is the best!
    HI, me Jules here, I am serious the 5mg has so far done it for me! I feel darn near normal-the anxiety/slight depression/panic really hasn't surfaced in the 5 weeks iv'e taken it. ya everyone is different I still think starting out on Lexapro should be 5mg and work your way up from there I just wish everyone on it the best o luck! Jules

Closed Thread