It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Anyone else have weird nights like this??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-22-2005, 10:38 AM   #1
    LonelyTraveler

LonelyTraveler HB User
    Red face Anyone else have weird nights like this??

Hi

I have, for a long time, suffered from GAD, Panic, Hypochondria, Depression, Phobias, etc and have been on all the usual meds (right now I'm on Lorazepam and Atarax). I've recently started having a few glasses of gin and lemon-lime soda in the evenings to help me calm down and sleep better. However, when I drink in the evenings (maybe 3-4 glasses), I always have very weird nights. For example, all of the things below happened last night as I was sleeping (or at least trying to sleep)...

1#) A "jolt" went through my head breifly and I woke up and had a small panic attack. I don't know wether I passed out in the night for a few seconds, had a dizzy spell in my sleep or what the heck happened but it was really scary.

2#) At one point, it felt like my lips were moving around all over the place (don't know wether I was dreaming or having a spasm of some sort).

3#) As I was sleeping, my entire facial expression suddenly changed on it's own into a "frightened face". This was REALLY weird and again, I don't know wether it really happened or if I was dreaming.

4#) My arm just flew off of the bed on it's own at one point which really freaked me out!.

5#) Half the time, I felt like I was experiencing derealization/depresonalization and was just sort of laying their in a trance-like state.

6#) There were some weird dreams too and other weird stuff that either happened or I was dreaming them.

Anyone else here have weird things happen during the night after drinking alcohol?. I'd love to hear from you!.

- Lonely Traveler

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2005, 02:20 PM   #2
    Marirose
    Veteran
    (female)

Marirose HB User
    Re: Anyone else have weird nights like this??

Hey Lonely Traveler - I don't know if this will help much, but here is a little light I can shed on your experience. I don't drink much, but I know that while alcohol is initially a depressent, as the sugar in the alcohol is metabolized by your body (and all alcohol has some component of sugar - beer, wine & spirits ) it actually becomes somewhat of a stimulant, explaining why people tend to wake up frequently in the middle of the night when they have a few drinks at bedtime. Also, I have never taken the meds. you are on, so I don't know what their side effects are, with or without alcohol. But I have had similiar "weird dreams" and experiences like you described when I took benedryl for an allergic reaction (without any other meds or alcohol involved), so I know it is possible for these feelings to come from meds alone, and the effect may be intensified by alcohol.

The only other thing I would say, without knowing you, your history or your relationship with your doctor, is, if you feel you are using the alcohol to self-medicate, maybe it's time to switch meds and/or adjust dosages? I am not saying you have a problem, or judging, or saying you are doing anything wrong, just making a suggestion filled with compassion for a fellow sufferer. Food for thought for you anyway.....

I hope things go well for you & that brighter days (and more restful nights ) are ahead! Marirose

Old 08-22-2005, 05:23 PM   #3
    louane
    (female)

louane HB User

I dont drink , but i have the head jolt thing happen to me all the time,, it is very scary, and most times i dont go back to sleep,,My leg also jerks really bad, I have body jerks to.... I am sure this is all anxiety, and maybe dreaming,,, I feel for you, night time is my worst.
    Good luck,, hope you get better,,
    louane

Old 08-22-2005, 06:32 PM   #4
    Zoie97
    (female)

Zoie97 HB User

I am not going to be much help here, but the "body" jerks you all are describing actually have a name ( and here is where I am no help) I dont remeber the name of it, they occur where you are just on the verge of sleep, I get these ALL the time, sometimes I jerk hard enough to wake myself and sometimes I just will remeber doing it and go right to sleep. I had a sleep study done and the tech was telling me all sorts of interesting things about sleep, I didnt realize a tech doing sleep studies had to know more than hook you up to electrodes and monitors, mine was very educated and informitive!

Susan

" An insane person does not question their sanity"

Old 08-22-2005, 08:48 PM   #5
    MissAngela
    Veteran
    (female)

MissAngela HB User

So the sleep jerks aren't dangerous? I have had them before.....

Thanks
    -Angela

Closed Thread