It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• could this be derealization/anxiety? please help b/c doctor isn't...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-25-2005, 08:35 PM   #1
    bumblebee919
    (female)

bumblebee919 HB User
    could this be derealization/anxiety? please help b/c doctor isn't...

Hi all --

Since about two years ago or so, I have started feeling spacey and a sort of "out of it" feeling...I am not quite sure how to explain it. It is as if I am slightly drunk without having consumed alcohol (if that makes sense)...I am also really lighteaded when this "out of it" feeling occurs (it's sort of liek if I get up too fast I see black for a few seconds, and once I fell and I felt extremely nauseaus & dizzy & saw black for about a minute of two).

This feeling occurs usually for a few days at a time (it usually goes away late at night about 1 or 2 hours before I go to bed and then comes back right when I wake up)...I'll get this feeling one week and the next week i will be fine (i'd say I have this "out of it" feeling maybe 50% of the time for days at a time)...it doesn't seem to be connected to any specific events or my stress level, it just comes and goes

I dread getting this feeling becuase it affects my concentration (especially w/ schoolwork, I find that it is difficult to write coherent essays and study when I get this feeling and i usually only get a clear mind late at night if it goes away) and it makes me feel really weird and not myself when I'm with others

I think it may be anxiety but I'm not sure. I always feel extremely worried and stressed out daily, whether I have that spacey "out of it" feeling or not, and I find myself crying or getting into fights with my mom or my boyfriend about the pettiest things...I'm constantly stressed out about something

I'm not sure if this physical "out of it" feeling and my being stressed out are linked at all, or if the "out of it feeling" is some other condition (although I've been to the doctor a few times about this and she can't find anything physically wrong with me). I've read numerous posts on the anxiety board and I think my condition may be "derealization," but I don't know much about it.

When I speak to this abuot my doctor, she acts like I am making a big deal out of something that doesn't matter, and tells me to "drink more water" or "get enough sleep"; neither of which are the problem. I don't really know where else to turn, so if anybody can give me their opinion so I can get more information on this I would really really appreciate it. so so sorry abou the long post, and thanks so much for your help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2005, 10:16 PM   #2
    woodfaery
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

woodfaery HB User
    Re: could this be derealization/anxiety? please help b/c doctor isn't...

Have you talked to your doctor about having some blood tests done? Perhaps to see if you have diabetes, or anemia? Sometimes people can get some of the feelings you are mentioning also from hypoglycemia...low blood sugar.
    How are your eating habits? Do you eat nutritionally? Drinking adequate amount of water does prove beneficial as your doctor recommended because of hydration. Becoming dehydrated can cause a person to feel "out of it" and out of sorts. Have you mentioned to your doctor that you may be depressed or anxious? Sometimes antidepressants can make a huge difference if you and your doctor find the right one for you. Also, if you are not satisfied with your doctor, you could seek a new physician that is better suited for you. I have had to switch doctors before, and I encourage you to do the same if your doctor is not listening to you well.
    Hey, good luck and I hope you find the right answers for you.
    WF

Old 09-26-2005, 07:21 AM   #3
    tkoval
    Inactive
    (male)

tkoval HB User

There's a very good chance it's anxiety. That "spacey" feeling is really common. What I read about it is that it's your brain taking a vacation, but it's not dangerous or anything, so don't be afraid of it. It's just you get so much stress and worry so much that your brain just says he's had enough and goes out for a while I had the same thing, about feeling drunk, I thought I was hypoglycemic or something. The best thing to do, is when you get that feeling, don't worry and just float with it. Just go along with it and let yourself be for a while, know it's not dangerous and that it'll go away. I myself try to enjoy it. I mean, we like to get drunk, so why not take advantage of this natural drunkness, it's all perspective. If you look at it in a negative way, it is, if you put a positive spin on it, it'll be positive. I know that's hard to do, because it's really annoying if you are trying to concentrate on something or you don't want to be "drunk" at that particular time. But if you can, just relax and let your mind feel how it wants to for a while. I know what you mean that you don't feel like yourself around others too. But when you're with friends, just relax, and my friends said they never even noticed that I was acting differently. Only I could tell that I was feeling weird. Don't dread it though, fear is a big stressor and is likely contributing to it coming on. It's not dangerous, don't worry about if it's going to happen or not. If it does, you'll deal with it. I've never seen black for a whole minute, but if your doctor isn't concerned about that, then I wouldn't worry. I've had the light headedness, which sucks, I feel it right now actually a little bit and the thing with standing up and getting dizzy too. It really sounds like anxiety to me, another thing that might be causing it, is that you breathe too shallow. This is also a part of anxiety, and a lot of people on here will attest to it. When you have anxiety your body breathes rapid and shallow for some reason, and it makes you feel light headed. Try taking a few deep breaths to see if it helps.

Old 09-26-2005, 03:20 PM   #4
    bumblebee919
    (female)

bumblebee919 HB User

thanks for your reply ...

how do you deal with your anxiety? do you see a therapist, or take any sort of medication?

This "feeling" is getting to the point where it affects my schoolwork and my relationships w/ others, and I want to do something about it but I don't really know what to do

thanks for the help

Closed Thread