It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• does anyone here take EFFEXOR

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-27-2005, 08:46 AM   #1
    kukla
    Inactive

kukla HB User
    does anyone here take EFFEXOR

the dr. gave me a sample and wants me to take it..he did this months ago but i was too scared to take it...
    does anyone take this
    the way i am i will take a pill and think im dying...i just dont know what to do

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2005, 09:16 AM   #2
    shaye72
    (female)

shaye72 HB User
    Re: does anyone here take EFFEXOR

My Doc wanted me to try it also.. I said no way... I have read to many bad things on it.. Altho things that wont work well for me may be great for someone else.

Old 09-27-2005, 09:20 AM   #3
    tkoval
    Inactive
    (male)

tkoval HB User

Yes, I take effexor. My doctor gave me a sample too, and at first I didn't take it. I was afraid, but then eventually I did and I kick myself for waiting so long. They had tried to give me drugs in the past, and I said no way because I just didn't want to do it. But eventually the anxiety got so bad, I said I have nothing to lose, it can only get better from here. The first day I took it, I felt an improvement, I actually cried that day because I knew that this was the end of my anxiety. I sat down and just relaxed, which I couldn't do before because I was just so jittery. I watched tv, it wasn't even a good show, but it was great! And after a week I was feeling 10 times better. There's nothing to be afraid of, whatever happens it can't be worse than anxiety and this will make the anxiety go away. I was afraid at first when I started feeling better, I don't even know why, it just kind of shocked me to see a change after feeling so terrible for so long. I had gotten used to feeling bad, and feeling good and normal was weird to me, I thought something was wrong But now I've been on it for like a month, feeling much much better, and I haven't seen any side effects. In fact, one side effect is that it's supposed to be bad on your sex drive, but I had zero sex drive before I started taking it, because of my depression and my anxiety, and now finally the effexor is giving me my sex drive back, weird. I can only speak from my own personal experience, and for me this drug is really great, but everyone is different. What did they give you, 32.5? They gave me that for a week, and then bumped me up to 75. I felt better the first week, but once I went up to 75 I felt really great. And everyday I've been on it, I've felt a little better, it's been gradual, but it's noticeable. If your anxiety is severe enough that you really want to deal with it, then I'd say you should try it. You just have to get past that fear, or you'll never know. It could be really great for you, like it was for me, but you won't know unless you try it. Break through that fear. If you do decide to try it, keep us updated on how you feel, I'd love to hear how you're doing

Last edited by tkoval; 09-27-2005 at 09:29 AM.

Old 09-27-2005, 09:29 AM   #4
    kukla
    Inactive

kukla HB User

thanks cause i was so scared after reading what some have said on it...but with any medication...some ppl will have bad exp...
    yes he gave me that 35 and then bump it up after a week
    your right nothing can be worse than what i feel now
    but i am so paranoid
    so you dont feel high or anything you just feel
    balanced..and normal again
    that is what i want
    do you take it before bed or in the morning
    so i should take it then? i guess ill wait until the weekend...thanks...
    tell me anymore if you can

Old 09-27-2005, 09:47 AM   #5
    tkoval
    Inactive
    (male)

tkoval HB User

The most important thing I would say is that you make sure you take it at the same time each day. As close as you can, I take it everyday at 11 o clock Am or as close to 11 as I can. You're supposed to take it either in the morning or the evening, it's up to you which one you want. And take it with food too, I don't know why, but that's what they say. And no, you don't get high off of it. I feel like I did before I used to have anxiety. I just feel like a normal human being again. I smile, I laugh, and the best part is that I sleep much better, the anxiety woke me up during the night several times usually. Now I'm sleeping regularly again. Oh, but don't drink alcohol while you're taking it. I'm sure they told you that, for me it wasn't really a problem cause I only drank once in a while, and it's probably good I don't drink at all, better for the health. And don't stop taking it once you feel better, they probably told you that too, but I've known people who feel better after a month and then just quit because they think they're cured, but then they feel the same old way after they stop. You're supposed to take it for 6+ months or so. And then when you stop taking the drug, you won't relapse, and hopefully you can go forever without it. I know a lot of people have said bad things about it, and for me, that almost made me not take it. But if that was the case I don't know where I'd be right now. I'm actually back at college trying to get my degree, probably wouldn't be here if it wasn't for effexor. I can't really think of anything else, if I do I'll post it. And feel free to ask me whatever I really hope it works for you as well as it did for me

Last edited by tkoval; 09-27-2005 at 09:47 AM.

Old 09-27-2005, 09:33 PM   #6
    kertson
    (male)

kertson HB User

I actually was just given a sample of this today at the doctor, I have tried SSRI's and stimulants which haven't helped, so I thought why not try an SNRI? So I basically asked for Effexor and my doc gave me a sample, I'll be starting in a week or so. By the way, this may sound weird, but are you a male tkoval? I only ask because ever since my anxiety and depression have been aparent I've had no sex drive, and you said it increased it, that would be so beneficial to me.

Old 09-28-2005, 11:02 AM   #7
    tkoval
    Inactive
    (male)

tkoval HB User

Yes, I am a male. The anxiety and depression totally robbed me of any and all sex drive. I used to think that it wouldn't be so bad. You wouldn't have to worry about trying to find dates for the weekend, you wouldn't have to care about it. But it sucks, without a sex drive there's a huge part of your life missing. And after the effexor started taking effect and my anxiety and depression started going away, I started getting it back. It's great!
    I'm assuming you're a male too? It seems like there's a lot more women on this forum than men, but supposedly anxiety and panic attacks are twice as common for women as they are for men...

Last edited by tkoval; 09-28-2005 at 11:03 AM.

Old 09-28-2005, 08:52 PM   #8
    kertson
    (male)

kertson HB User

Yeah, I'm a male also, it seems like since all this anxiety has started I have totally lost my drive, hoping effexor will help it like in your case, anyways, I can't wait to get off this prozac and onto effexor, by the way how much do you take?

Old 09-30-2005, 02:18 PM   #9
    tomicavols
    (male)

tomicavols HB User

I took Effexor and it seemed to help. One slightly abnormal blood pressure reading made my doctor take me off of it. Because I was going through a crappy marriage, I have no idea how it affects you sexually.

Does it affect your ability to reach orgasm or sustain erection?

Closed Thread