It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Do You Think This Is Only Anxiety?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-30-2005, 06:29 PM   #1
    Jedi Mind Trick

Jedi Mind Trick HB User
    Question Do You Think This Is Only Anxiety?

It started about 10 months ago after I stopped anti-depressants, I had many flashbacks and felt dizzy, couldn't sleep at night, felt depersonalized majorly. Since then, the dizzy and couldn't sleep at night has gone away for the most part, but the other symptoms remain especially the depersonalization. I also lack the judgement to adequately tell if I am improving. I sure hope that I am, but I don't know. During my first few months of withdrawal, I felt like I was losing my mind, but now I don't have that feeling as much anymore. But now my mind feels blank all the time and my brain just somehow works even though my mind is blank. It is just in a black hole, yet somehow going through the motions.

Right now my main symptoms are INSOMNIA, MEMORY LOSS, LACK OF FOCUS/ CONCENTRATION, irritability, ANXIETY, paranoia at night, full blown STRESS tiredness, low sex drive, Depersonalization, Brain fog / Weird feeling phobias, ocd, and unwanted thoughts. I was thinking about trying ad's but am super afraid of a bad reaction like I had to most of them. The only ones I would consider trying are lexapro or paxil at low doses. My therapist thinks that I only have hypochondriasis and mostly anxiety and the therapist also doubts that my problem could be anything else. I've never had the anxiety that bad EVER, for that LONG, with that many symptoms.....maybe it's just post-stress disorder or something. I'm not really antisocial and can be talkative but lately I feel like my mind just drifts off and I can't focus or remember anything. I'm only 16 years old and appreciate any support.

I am taking a multivitamin every day. Il feel WAY WORSE at night vs. in the morning for some reason. I AM AT LEAST 2x worse at night than the morning. MY BRAIN IS WAY MORE FOGGED UP AT NIGHT.

Right now I think I have a few options for my problem but my parents won't believe anything I say because my therapist keeps saying it's only anxiety. I feel really bad and need some help.

Here are the Options that [I think] could logically help determine the exact problem that I am experiencing:

1) Psychiatric evaluation.

2) Blood / Hormone / Endo. testing.

3) Try meds.

What do you think? I'm not fighting the problem I have, the problem is fighting me and forces me to feel weird. I just feel stressed out and just read that stress is linked to heart disease and alzheimers. I will probably end up with them since i've been so stressed out for about a year. I eat healthy, try to exercise, and am not in bad shape or overweight.

I'd Appreciate any responses.

Thanks,

Sincerely,

JMT

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2005, 09:48 PM   #2
    crabbyroad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

crabbyroad HB User
    Re: Do You Think This Is Only Anxiety?

Which AD were you on? Coming off most AD's in the SSRI category, ie Paxil etc. have rebound anxiety, and horrible withdrawals. If you have low sex drive now, Paxil will take it away, did for me, been off it 4 yrs now, and still the drive is not there, most common complaint with Paxil is weight gain and loss of sex drive.

Old 10-01-2005, 03:55 AM   #3
    Jedi Mind Trick

Jedi Mind Trick HB User

Thanks for the response.

I was on paxil for about 1 yr a couple years ago. It stopped working, but when it did work it was great for me. I have no history of any mental illness in the family and hope I can get better. Anyways after the paxil I became depressed and by Jan. of last year I went through trying Prozac, Effexor, Celexa, Paxil (3 more times) Zoloft, Wellbutrin, Xanax, and Cymbalta. I had a bad reaction to all of them and tried each one for a couple weeks. My psychiatrist was really a gung-ho prescriber.

Its been 10 months since the cymbalta. When I hear loud music I always think I have hearing loss, when I feel weird I think I may need a blood test, etc. I also have phobias now that I never had before the ad's. I am afraid that I might become homosexual when I have been straight all my life, and I have claustrophobia that I never had before all these meds.

Do you think its just anxiety?

How are you handling your situation right now? (With the low sex drive.)

When I took the paxil it increased my sex drive..... but most of the other ad's decreased it...

Thanks again for the reply,

Sincerely,

JMT

Old 10-01-2005, 09:16 AM   #4
    crabbyroad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

crabbyroad HB User

But when they put you on Paxil the other three times did they increase from your original dosage? First I was on 10mgs, 20mgs finally had me at 60mgs for 1-2 years. I would want the sex, but couldnt achieve the "O", takes a very, very long and frustrating time now since being off it. I'm kinda of surprised the Xanax didnt work, but everybody is different. But Xanax wouldnt help OCD thoughts as much as the AD's would. Have you tried CBT?

Side note, some people report using SSRI's like Paxil, Lexapro, etc, and experience "poop out" syndrome, working really good then poof, it just quits working, and they are getting changed from one AD to another, and another with no effect.

Last edited by crabbyroad; 10-01-2005 at 09:23 AM. Reason: side note

Old 10-01-2005, 09:27 AM   #5
    Jedi Mind Trick

Jedi Mind Trick HB User

Yeah, I am working with a therapist and we do cbt. The paxil pooped out the first time. I did increase the dosage, but it made me too tired.

Old 10-01-2005, 02:52 PM   #6
    italianfire
    (female)

italianfire HB User

Hi.I am a 38 year old Female.I was told I had anxiety at the age of 19.But i Believe I had it even at a younger age.So Your not to young to have anxiety.As far as health Problems,You never know.My opinon and I read this article which made sence.Go get check out by a docter you trust and if he says your hormones are fine and your blood work is fine then try to believe our health is ok and focus on the anxiety more .I have had so many test cause i couldnt believe that anxiety can cause so many problems.Chest pain,headaches,cant breath,out of body feeling,lack of sexual desire,fear,racing heart beat,hot spells,feeling tierd,scared of everything,jumpy,etc..Anxiety can cause all these feelings too.
    As far as medicine I personally never did good on them.They had me on xanax for over 3 years and when I went off them I had to learn to redo my thinking and my anxiety got worse.I just take one day at a time,think positive and walking is good and stay away from caffine.
    Therapy is good to.And talking with a close friend if you are unhappy.
    I hope i help alittle.I also heard that it runs in the family too.My aunts and uncles and cousins have it.I have a cousin that started meds and therapy at 16 and shes in her 20's doing good.
    You can try a medicine and see what happens ,you never know it may make you feel better.Good luck
    italianfire

Old 10-02-2005, 10:53 AM   #7
    Jedi Mind Trick

Jedi Mind Trick HB User

Hi italianfire, I have had anxiety most of my life I think, but my anxiety got WAY WORSE SINCE THE ANTIDEPRESSANTS....and still is very bad. Probably most of my sypmtoms are related to anxiety...hopefully that's all it is. I just am kind of scared to go back on ad's because I read that Paxil, which is the only one that worked for me, can cause fibromyalgia.....permanently.... Was xanax hard to withdraw from for you? I've read that benzo's like xanax are actually safer and have less side effects than ssri's. I am in therapy. The thing is, no one on either side of my family has anxiety, just me.... When I was on the paxil the first time, it worked so well that I thought it would permanently stay even when I went off the med. I went off the med because it made me too tired when I had to up the dose from 12.5mg to 25mg, I tried it 3x since and each of those times has been a horriffic experience.....I think the ad's definitely permanently changed me.... for the worse.....

Thanks a lot for the response,

Sincerely,

JMT

Old 10-02-2005, 05:46 PM   #8
    italianfire
    (female)

italianfire HB User

I was taking xanax as needed when I was in my twentys cause I could not take paxil or busbar etc.They would make my anxiety worse..As the years went on I started getting panic attack everyday.It got to the point were I did not want to leave the house.So i went to the local hospital and stayed there for 4 days and was put on meds..when i got out the hospital I started taking xanax on a everyday basic.I believe for me they were keeping me from panic attack but also I was not very clear minded.More a less I would take a pill every time there was stress or a crisis.After 3 and half years I went to another docter and said xanax was suppose to be for short term and he wanted me to get off them..BEWARE FOR ME MY ANXIETY GOT WORSE.ALOT OF CRYING AND WEANING VERY SLOWLY OFF THEM. I Experieced fast heart beat and shakes etc..Its been 2 months and i am slowly started to feel alittle better.I do have anxiety but if it gets worse I just take a half of xanax.If you can use them as needed cool but if you need them everyday then for some people there hard to come off.whats wrong with the paxil other then them making you tierd?? You need to find out what is cause the anxiety...and also some people are born with it and you need to learn how to control it or it can get worse.

Closed Thread