It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Avoiding Going To Sleep.... Anyone??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-04-2005, 09:23 PM   #1
    lotusheart
    (female)

lotusheart HB User
    Avoiding Going To Sleep.... Anyone??

Hi, Everyone-
    I am having a problem that I am pretty sure is connected to anxiety. I dont go to bed. Even when I KNOW i need to and I am exhausted. Nihgt after night-- I then proceed to get up and go to work after maybe 3 or 4 hours of sleep... which makes life awful on so many levels!

And you know what? I LOVE sleeping.. when left to sleep as long as my body will, I will sleep 9 hours and feel great when I get up. But I dont go to bed. I do things around the house (I live alone), get busy with stuff, surf the web, start projects too late, do girly bathroom stuff, etc.

As much as i know that the lack of sleep makes me feel miserable and overwhelmed, stressed, and even leads to me getting sick more frequently, I don't go to bed. As much as I PLAN to go to bed early almost EVERY night, I never do. Some of this could be tied to loneliness... when I have a boyfriend and I go to bed with him (or when I have lived with someone in the past), i still had the tendency to stay up way too late, but I was a LOT better than I am now.

This has also led to all sorts of negative feelings, like I can't do something so simple, like I sabotage myself every day, like I can't be a normal person. If anyone has any insight or information I would LOVE to hear it. It has been years of this, and I am (sorry for the pun) very tired of it. I want to change the pattern, and know that my quality of life depends on it. (OTC sleeping pills don't work, btw. I still stay up doing stuff until I am about to drop, then am a zombie the whole next day.)

THANK YOU ALL FOR READING/RESPONDING!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2005, 10:23 PM   #2
    louane
    (female)

louane HB User
    Re: Avoiding Going To Sleep.... Anyone??

i have done that my whole life,,, I have very bad axiety and panic attacks, but even before I started having them, I hated going to bed,, and like you when I would go to sleep and could do it, Icould sleep most of the day,
    It dose make you feel worst, I wish I had an answer,,, I think its just a bad habit that we got into. I know mine has to do with fear,, I was always scared of the dark as a kid so I had trouble going to sleep..
    then when my anxiety got bad, I was scared to go to sleep because I was afraid I would wake up having a panic attack.
    Just so you know I know what you are going through,,,,
    my mother in law, told me if I would get more active in the day, then I wouldnt have any troble going to sleep,,, i guess she thinks I am lazy,,who knows..
    Ok Good luck
    louane

Old 10-04-2005, 10:42 PM   #3
    YouKnowYou

YouKnowYou HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lotusheart
    Hi, Everyone-
    I am having a problem that I am pretty sure is connected to anxiety. I dont go to bed. Even when I KNOW i need to and I am exhausted. Nihgt after night-- I then proceed to get up and go to work after maybe 3 or 4 hours of sleep... which makes life awful on so many levels!

And you know what? I LOVE sleeping.. when left to sleep as long as my body will, I will sleep 9 hours and feel great when I get up. But I dont go to bed. I do things around the house (I live alone), get busy with stuff, surf the web, start projects too late, do girly bathroom stuff, etc.

As much as i know that the lack of sleep makes me feel miserable and overwhelmed, stressed, and even leads to me getting sick more frequently, I don't go to bed. As much as I PLAN to go to bed early almost EVERY night, I never do. Some of this could be tied to loneliness... when I have a boyfriend and I go to bed with him (or when I have lived with someone in the past), i still had the tendency to stay up way too late, but I was a LOT better than I am now.

This has also led to all sorts of negative feelings, like I can't do something so simple, like I sabotage myself every day, like I can't be a normal person. If anyone has any insight or information I would LOVE to hear it. It has been years of this, and I am (sorry for the pun) very tired of it. I want to change the pattern, and know that my quality of life depends on it. (OTC sleeping pills don't work, btw. I still stay up doing stuff until I am about to drop, then am a zombie the whole next day.)

THANK YOU ALL FOR READING/RESPONDING!
    I have the same problem....This may sound abit morbid, but I think it comes down to doing things you want to do before you die. Now I'm not saying you are going to die, but because of anxiety and panic, when you are feeling good, you want to live! When you are enjoying life, its hard to feel like going to sleep, when in the back of your mind you might be thinking you are not going to wake up or might wake up feeling like crap.
    I hope that made some sense, but its getting late and Im awake

"Its not that you can't sleep, but you try to hard"

Old 10-05-2005, 02:03 AM   #4
    littlen2005
    (female)

littlen2005 HB User

hi, same with me, i try very hard (too hard) to go to sleep, especially knowing that i have to be up at 6am for work.

i was told by my doctor that i should be more active throughout the day and that would get me to sleep in the night. (must think im lazy too)

i am quite scared of going to sleep though because i think i may die in my sleep, or have nightmares, or waking up having a panic attack etc. but i know i need sleep other wise in the day i will feel more anxious.

i hate this so much.

Old 10-05-2005, 06:07 AM   #5
    bladebeam

bladebeam HB User

I think what was said earlier is right, Especially if you work or have places to be the following day, I think you try to do as much as you can in one night as you value your spare time. Thats what I think, I sit up watching tv well into the early hours and then have to get up for work about 7.Bah !

Old 10-05-2005, 08:11 PM   #6
    lotusheart
    (female)

lotusheart HB User

Hi-
    Thank you all so much for responding. I am actually very active during most days... I am a bit of a fitness buff and this does help a lot with anxiety and depression, at least in my experience (and so does 3 caps of 5-HTP per day!! Seriously...). But I know I still ahve an undercurrent of anxiety, it just doesnt interfere with my life as much (havent had a panic attack in years, thank heavens.. I feel for any and all of you who suffer from those) as it used to.

I agree that it is probably largely behavioral-- a bad habit that just snowballs and gets worse and worse. I hate that I seem to be unable to change it as much as i REALLY want to.. I plan all day how I will get to bed early "this time". To no avail. But I dont know how to change it. Has anyone tried cognitive behavioral therapy? My insurance wont cover therapy right now (well, they cover 12 sessions per year or something rediculous like that). Are there any home methods of changing bad habits that anyone has come across?

Thanks again for your feedback. I understand the avoidance of fears. As irrational as they may sound to others they surely do have a huge influence on what our bodies do and how they respond to things. I think I fear those moments between laying down and falling asleep=== the thinking, the being alone with no other stimulation, and yet I crave that kind of relaxation, too! Frustrating.

Thanks all, and peace.

Old 10-10-2005, 11:38 PM   #7
    YouKnowYou

YouKnowYou HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lotusheart
    Hi-
    Thank you all so much for responding. I am actually very active during most days... I am a bit of a fitness buff and this does help a lot with anxiety and depression, at least in my experience (and so does 3 caps of 5-HTP per day!! Seriously...). But I know I still ahve an undercurrent of anxiety, it just doesnt interfere with my life as much (havent had a panic attack in years, thank heavens.. I feel for any and all of you who suffer from those) as it used to.

I agree that it is probably largely behavioral-- a bad habit that just snowballs and gets worse and worse. I hate that I seem to be unable to change it as much as i REALLY want to.. I plan all day how I will get to bed early "this time". To no avail. But I dont know how to change it. Has anyone tried cognitive behavioral therapy? My insurance wont cover therapy right now (well, they cover 12 sessions per year or something rediculous like that). Are there any home methods of changing bad habits that anyone has come across?

Thanks again for your feedback. I understand the avoidance of fears. As irrational as they may sound to others they surely do have a huge influence on what our bodies do and how they respond to things. I think I fear those moments between laying down and falling asleep=== the thinking, the being alone with no other stimulation, and yet I crave that kind of relaxation, too! Frustrating.

Thanks all, and peace.
    I am in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy right now....It is an out of pocket expense....$100 a visit. It was recommended to me when I visited the Mayo Clinic.....I was interviewed and talked to for a couple hours, then I saw the main Panic disorder doctor and he was so cool...He explained panic through a circle diagram and made me feel almost stupidly happy. My main fear at the time was the fear of passing out, He told me that Panic is our bodys fight or flight, acting a bit funny...it came down to the fact that when we are panicing our bodys are not meant to shut down...."As humans we would not have evolved if when being chased by a tiger, we passed out" I had to laugh at my "stupid" fear. CBT is definately different, its demanding and helpfull....Now right now it is not helping me much cause I am on Xanax....If you want to do CBT its best to be on an SSRI or nothing only. CBT is about living with panic, not trying to conceal it. It is about doing the things you are fearful of, and making yourself realize that most of what you fear as a Panic Disorder patient is not to be feared. If you are affraid of the dark, they will shut off the lights. If you are affraid of being lightheaded, they will spin you in a chair to create the effect. It sounds scary, but its up to you to go further and further! I recommend CBT, its almost like talking to a psychiatrist/coach...They push you to do things, not just sit there and listen, and sometimes they get upset at you for not doing things. I am being weak in my CBT I feel, and this is why my next challenge begins tomorrow....I am detoxing from Xanax! It is going to take me about a month to get off of it....Im scared, but know I must get off this{REMOVED} I was never warned of its power by my doctor.....

{REMOVED}

Wish Me Luck

Last edited by msmod; 10-11-2005 at 05:46 AM. Reason: Do not use censored words, also don't copy and paste material from other sources. Thanks, Ms_Mod

Closed Thread