It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Please help me (I'm begging!!)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-07-2005, 07:09 PM   #1
    LonelyTraveler

LonelyTraveler HB User
    Unhappy Please help me (I'm begging!!)

Please, if ANYONE can relate to this, could you just drop me a line or two and let me know that I'm not alone?.

I have always had anxiety, hypochondria, depression, etc and have been on a variety of different meds over the past 12 years. I am currently taking Atarax for sleep and Lorazepam for anxiety. I have also been drinking and smoking for the past 3-4 months.

Lately, I have noticed that if I drink in the evening, I will end up waking in the middle of the night and so I just sit at the computer for a few hours, pop an Atarax or a Lorazepam and then crawl back into bed. It is at this point where it gets really scary because while I'm laying there trying to get back to sleep I get these "anxiety jolts" that seem to start out in my head and make my heart race. I can even feel the adrenelin shooting through me. This happens every few minutes and they almost seem like mini panic attacks and some are quite severe. Some even feel a bit like a dizzy/vertigo spell.

After I've had about 10-15 of these (one every few minutes or so), I'll end up falling asleep only to have all kinds of weird and horrible nightmares or even sleep paralysis episodes. Needless to say, night-time is a living hell for me and especially when I've consumed alcohol the evening before and wake up early and try to go back to bed again. I am not sure if it is the alcohol (I only drinking 4-6 beers in the evening), the meds, anxiety itself or a combination of all these and am hoping someone here can provide me with some input. I know I need to stop drinking and plan to ask my doctor for something next time I see her but until then I'm desparate for answers.

- Thank's again, Lonely Traveler

Last edited by LonelyTraveler; 10-07-2005 at 07:15 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2005, 07:19 PM   #2
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
    Re: Please help me (I'm begging!!)

hard to say what it is, your meds a rent all that strong and shouldnt react with alcahol
    the jolts can be from just anxiety

Old 10-07-2005, 07:33 PM   #3
    cebo
    (female)

cebo HB User

Your not alone, I think the drinking only adds to what you are going through.
    I too have anxiety neally 24/7.
    I found that if I eat carbohydrates only in a meal it calms me way down, try it like a bowl of pasta or rice but dont add protein as it doesn't work as well.

Carbohydrates - A key chemical in food tied to your mood is serotonin. Higher levels of serotonin influence your concentration, as it is relaxing and calming and helps keep you from being depressed. Carbohydrates help to raise the levels of serotonin in the body. A decrease in serotonin levels may increase the appetite and cause carbohydrate cravings. Stress buster foods, which are high in carbohydrates, are whole grains, fruit, high fiber cereals, rice and potatoes.

Try it next time you feel y

Last edited by msmod; 10-07-2005 at 08:01 PM.

Old 10-07-2005, 08:00 PM   #4
    LonelyTraveler

LonelyTraveler HB User

Cebo

I hear you there. Carbs work very well for me and I feel quite relaxed and sleep well after a nice plate of spagetti or similar meal. It's this drinking habit and puffing away on cigs which is making me feel really crappy all the time and interfering with my sleep. There is a new med on the market (Camprosol?) which is supposed to be a "miracle drug" for people addicted to alcohol. I can't wait to ask my doc for a script. I just hope it works. Thank's for the replies people. Please keep them coming!.

Old 10-07-2005, 08:17 PM   #5
    cebo
    (female)

cebo HB User

Please let us know about this new med for alcohol, as I know someone who really needs it too.

Old 10-07-2005, 08:32 PM   #6
    LonelyTraveler

LonelyTraveler HB User

It's called Campral and is the first new drug to treat alcoholism in 10 years. From what I've read, I can't wait to get my hands on some!!

Old 10-07-2005, 09:05 PM   #7
    bocana
    (female)

bocana HB User

Hi Lonely Traveler,

Really it is the booze that is increasing your awareness of bodily symptoms. I answered your previous post about drinking daily, and really think drinking has a rebound effect. Also beer, which has complex carbs (think energy), can rev you up. Think about it, thats what they serve at sporting events!. You don't need anymore energy drinks.... Just an idea and I wish you the best

Old 10-07-2005, 10:05 PM   #8
    mjewell
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User

I think you hit it on the head - you know it is the smoking and alcohol that is making you worse. I find that when I take Xanax and drink within the same few hours, I feel bad in the middle of the night and all the next day as well.

Old 10-08-2005, 11:10 PM   #9
    Sonika
    (female)

Sonika HB User

Contrary to what most people think of alcohol, alcohol does not make you sleep. Alcohol will be a downer only for so long (3-4 hours) and then it will be an anxiety precursor. So, if you drink, you will fall asleep but most likely, you will wake up after a few hours with an anxiety attack. Alcohol is a no no for us people!

Closed Thread