It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• wellbutrin & lexapro

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-08-2005, 05:55 AM   #1
    rj6445
    (male)

rj6445 HB User
    wellbutrin & lexapro

My pcp had me on 300 of wellbutrin and ativan without much luck,so he added 10mg of lexapro. Has anyone taken this combo with success? I had asked about buspar but he said he has not had any luck with it on other people. any help would be appreiciated. thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2005, 06:53 AM   #2
    littlejmb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

littlejmb HB Userlittlejmb HB User
    Re: wellbutrin & lexapro

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rj6445
    My pcp had me on 300 of wellbutrin and ativan without much luck,so he added 10mg of lexapro. Has anyone taken this combo with success? I had asked about buspar but he said he has not had any luck with it on other people. any help would be appreiciated. thanks

Hi,

I was on Lexapro 10mg, and it worked really well for me - but I didn't like the sexual side affects. I couldn't climax during sex anymore and that was really getting to me, plus I was gaining weight, so I decided to switch to WB. While I was weaning off the Lex - I felt really good on the combination of the two - they both work on different brain receptors and kind of balance them out. I think that if you added the 10mg of the Lex to the WB - you will very likely have a good reaction - alot of people do. I wanted to do that, but my doc is my GYN and he doesn't do combination therapy - he said I would have to go to a psychiatrist for that. So - I am on WB only now - but I do take 5-HTP (100 mg) at night with it - which also boosts your Seratonin levels, and I do feel good taking the two.

Hope this helps!

Old 10-08-2005, 02:40 PM   #3
    mjewell
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User

littlejmb - does the Wellbutrin help your anxiety? I heard it isn't the best drug for anxiety and thats why it is often prescribed in conjunction with other ADs. Just curious, because i need something to help my sex drive and it sounds like Wellbutrin is the key.

Old 10-08-2005, 03:31 PM   #4
    littlejmb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

HI mjewell, the Wellbutrin is helping with my anxiety. I am taking 5-HTP with it too though, and it builds up your seratonin levels. Have you tried adding 150mg of Wellbutrin to your Lexapro?

Old 10-08-2005, 03:43 PM   #5
    mjewell
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

No, I haven't, I just started the Lexapro. I am seeing my gyno in a couple weeks so I will ask her about it. Does it really help the sex drive noticeably??

Old 10-08-2005, 03:52 PM   #6
    littlejmb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

In most people - yes. But I really can't tell a difference in my libedo. I am going through menopause though, and I know you are young and that isn't your problem. Most likely it will help your sex drive.

I was thinking you had been on Lexapro for some time now?

Old 10-08-2005, 08:26 PM   #7
    mjewell
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

No, I was taking Effexor I think the last time we talked. I discontinued taking that, I got scared off! But I won't give up on the Lexapro because i think it is really working.

Thanks for the advice.

Old 10-08-2005, 08:41 PM   #8
    littlejmb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I don't blame you for getting off Effexor. From what I've read on these boards, it's not the best AD to be on. Lexapro is a great AD, and it worked very well for me, I just wasn't happy with the sexual consequences of taking it. If they can ever make a AD that works on both brain receptors and no sexual side affects - I think they would win the Nobel Prize!!

Old 10-08-2005, 10:27 PM   #9
    americandancer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

americandancer HB User

I think lexapro has less side effects of sexual problems than zoloft, which I am now taking. I think if you stop the lexapro for a day or two, the sexual problems are resolved, without going through any withdrawals I've read about. I would try that, mjewell, before I added anything else. I've already done the wb myself.

Closed Thread