It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Effexor XR and Xanax?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-09-2005, 09:29 AM   #1
    jennica
    (female)

jennica HB User
    Effexor XR and Xanax?

Hello all...

I started taking Effexor about 6 months ago. I am on 37.5 + 150 mg a day which is 187.5mg ...It has helped me tremendously. There are rare moments when I do still feel anxious, but overall I can do things I didn't *think* I could before. I am still very weary about meds like this, but my quality of life has just gotten so much better. Not only has it helped my endless worrying, anxiety and those moments of well, helplessness, but it also has helped with my mild social phobia.

So, I was at my doctor's for a check up this past week and I just let her know there are still rare moments when I feel really anxious. So she gave me a script for Xanax .5mg - no refills. Well, I tried it to see how it would affect me and I basically just got tired. Then I took it at work when my boss was driving me nuts as I had a horrible headache and he said, "you need to try harder" and it helped me function well and try harder ...since then I've taken it a couple more times. My doctor said that if I take it more than once in awhile than we need to talk. I'm worried (haha) because I *think* I have an addictive personality and I've heard Xanax is addictive (double wammy)....Also Effexor has helped me greatly and...I just don't get the same effect as I do with Xanax (of course that's while on the Effexor too). With Xanax it's not like I'm smiling and drooling and loving everyone...I just feel so at ease and even more able to get through tasks that seem to be difficult for me. I am concerned though that I don't NEED Xanax...that I just like it??...how do I know if the benefit is worth the risk of addiction or if I should just stick with Effexor and "freak out" once in awhile.

I'm so confused and well, shoot....stressed!! :| The whole problem to begin with. Incidentally I read that Xanax can bring out more anxiety! I don't need that...

Just looking for insight if you have experience with taking both and if it's practical or whatnot...

I think all and all I do need to talk to my doctor like she said. I just feel like a druggie or something (this may have a little to do with the fact I was on Zoloft and then Paxil after my mom died when I was 17 and my father met a woman who told him I was making my depression up so he made me stop taking them.......yes, deep {REMOVED})

Sigh.

If you read all of this Bless your heart!!!

Last edited by msmod; 10-09-2005 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Do not used censored words. Thanks, Ms_Mod

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2005, 03:49 PM   #2
    anxietysucks
    (female)

anxietysucks HB User
    Re: Effexor XR and Xanax?

I've just come back from where you are in your thinking or worrying about addiction. I too focus more when I take my Xanax and I take .5's. This is what I've been told. My GP never had a problem giving me a script of 3x per day and that lasted for two years. Here's where I got confused. Last month, my GP referred my to a psychiatrist. I think my GP was wanting me to mix CBT with my meds. No problem. I agree with that. However, my GP said to take the Xanax AS NEEDED. He never freaked on me if I took my daily quota. When I saw the psychiatrist, he said that .5's at 3x a day was a small dose, and that I should take AS PRESCRIBED. That's confusing!! So basically, I guess it just depends on the doctor's thinking. I explained to the psychiatrist how I get neither a high or a low from the Xanax, and he said that means its working for its intended purpose. If you get sleepy, then you may be taking it when you don't need it, or maybe you could break the .5 in half. I do that sometimes just to see if I can get by. If I can't and the anxiety is so strong, I'll just take the other 1/2.

I struggled with worrying about being addicted to it so much so that I jumped over to the Addiction and Recovery board. Most of my fears came from listening to everybody other than myself and allowing myself to be on a guilt trip from others. Bottom line is that it helps me stay more focused and gets rid of that awful feeling in my stomach. Until something else comes along either by CBT or time itself, I'll stick with my Xanax. Like it or not, it works for me.

Old 10-09-2005, 04:34 PM   #3
    jennica
    (female)

jennica HB User
    Re: Effexor XR and Xanax?

Thanks so much for your thoughts & support. I hear what you're saying about the sleepy part. That makes a lot of sense. Breaking them in half is a great idea too. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks again!

Closed Thread