It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• just starting paxil and scared about addictive nature of SSRI

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-09-2005, 10:25 AM   #1
    bumblebee919
    (female)

bumblebee919 HB User
    just starting paxil and scared about addictive nature of SSRI

Hey all - I just started paxil (10mg) and my main concern with starting it was the addictive nature, but my psych said it woudl be fine

i've been doing a lot of research on paxil, and a lot of sources say it's supposedly the most addictive SSRI

I know I need meds to help my anxiety problems becuase i've had physical symptoms for the past two years - i am not so so much concerned about me being stressed out, moody, depressed, etc as much as the physical symptoms (slight depersonalization, lightheadedness, "out of it" feeling, feeling of being drunk) because it affects my concentration, schoolwork, and I don't feel "myself"

the psych prescribed paxil bc she said she think it'll help with my physical symptoms, along with my moodiness as well, and I can gradually go off of it when I feel better

My only worry is that I will feel even worse than I feel now when I eventually wean myself off of it, and I don't want that to happen.

Has anybody been on paxil and successfully gone off of it and feel taht the paxil was worth it? also - I'm afraid that I will need to eventually increase my dosage, but I really do not want to go over 10 mg because I'm afraid it will be harder and harder to get off of it if I keep increasing - has anybody never had to increase the amount of paxil they take? also, is there an SSRI or another med that is considered "least addictive"??

I'm really nervous and would like some reassurance! thanks for all your help on my previous posts, i appreciate all your help so much and I'm so glad I found this board!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2005, 10:59 AM   #2
    RedeemedHeart
    (female)

RedeemedHeart HB User
    Re: just starting paxil and scared about addictive nature of SSRI

I took Paxil 20mgs for a year in 2000. My experience was good even thought there were side effects the freedom from anxiety was great! The first week it made my anxiety worse. I had some hot flushing feelings when I would first wake up like a big anxiety attack starting. The entire time I took it I sweat more than what is normal for me but I adjusted. For the first two weeks I was extremely sleepy. However, it worked great for the anxiety.
    When I decided to stop taking it, I had luckily read about the withdrawal possibility and weaned myself off very slowly. It was not horrible like for those who stopped cold turkey not knowing there were withdrawal effects. The only side effect that really bugged me was that I gained weight on Paxil. I gained 40 pounds in the year I took it...most of the weight came on in the first 5 months. When I stopped taking it I lost all but a few pounds of the weight.
    From others I have talked to and posts on this and other forums it seems like if you get past the initial side effects of Paxil it works well for anxiety.
    One thing I recently read somewhere though is that you shouldn’t take it if you are apt to get pregnant...something to do with birth defects. (I think)
    Honestly, I have been thinking about taking something again myself.

Hope this helps you,
    Blessings,
    Kathy

Old 10-09-2005, 11:34 AM   #3
    bumblebee919
    (female)

bumblebee919 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RedeemedHeart
    The only side effect that really bugged me was that I gained weight on Paxil. I gained 40 pounds in the year I took it...most of the weight came on in the first 5 months. When I stopped taking it I lost all but a few pounds of the weight.

Honestly, I have been thinking about taking something again myself.
    Kathy -thanks so much for the response, it really did help

do you (or anyone else who is reading this) know if weight gain is common on paxil? and how quickly did you start noticing the weight gain?

also - I read somehwere that once you stop taking paxil, it doesn't work as well or something when you go back on it - is that true or is that false information? how do people who rebound w/ anxiety deal with it again?

thanks so much again for the response - it is really appreciated!

Old 10-09-2005, 04:16 PM   #4
    trg247
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

paxil is a lifesaver when you need it but it does come with side effects just like the other AD's out there. I currently take 50mg and it has been about four months since I started. For some people it effects their weight (I lost weight), their sexual drive (zip,zero here). It is addictive just like the rest of them, to give you an example I forgot to pick up a prescription and was only able to take thirty mg instead of the normal 50mg and woke up with a headache from hell and the world seemed to be swimming.

I should add I have a severe form of Major Depression Disorder plus PTSD and anxiety issues which is why my dosage is high. Paxil also takes close to four weeks to kick in and up to six week for the full effect

take care

Old 10-09-2005, 04:27 PM   #5
    dwallech
    (female)

dwallech HB User

My husband has been on Paxil for about two years. He started with 10 and it took a full six weeks to get some benefit. After a year he went to 25 and that is where he will probably stay. His family has a history of anxiety due to low levels of serotonin and Paxil has been a great help for all of them. My husband doesn't care if he has to take it the rest of his life as anything is better than the Panic Attacks he had suffered for years. His son came to him to ask him to try it after it helped him, knowing they had similar DNA and thank goodness this was the answer we had all been hoping for as they both suffered many years with a lot of anxiety. Hope this helps as if you lack serotonin, it may be a good answer.

Old 10-10-2005, 04:17 AM   #6
    debill
    Veteran
    (female)

debill HB User

I took regular Paxil several years ago and it worked great for my anxiety. I didn't have any problems weaning off of it except for a headache. I weaned very very slowly. I am currently on Paxil again but the controlled release kind. Again, I am not having any problems including NO weight gain. I have been taking it for like 7 weeks now.

Everyone is different though. I am not a med pusher but if your going through a difficult time sometimes we need the help of medication. Don't be scared of taking something unless you have a negative reaction to it.

I take meds for other health conditions and there side effects can be really bad. But I weigh my options. Either I enjoy my life while taking the meds or I live miserably. I choose to try to enjoy life.

There are alot of meds to choose from and your doctor might have to play around with them until they find the best for you. You might be lucky and the paxil will be great for you.

Try not to stress out about it to much. Give it a couple weeks to work.

Good luck to you and I hope you feel better soon...deb

Old 10-26-2005, 10:02 AM   #7
    mousse
    (female)

mousse HB User

Hello,

I just recently go tup enough nerve to go to the doc, he has put me on paxil and xanax. I am scared b/c he said to take it once a day. I started today and it has made me quite drowsy. I hope this doesn't last too long b/c it will effect my work. I am also scared about gaining weight b/c I am getting married next june and i have been trying to loose weight. I hope it helps but I also hope the side effects are worth it. ALso, wanted to ask, I am supose to meet up with some old friends for drinks this weekend, both say not to drink. Does anyone have any helpful info on this or has anyone drank while taking either meds? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Old 10-26-2005, 10:28 AM   #8
    mjewell
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by debill

Either I enjoy my life while taking the meds or I live miserably. I choose to try to enjoy life.
    I could not agree more with debill here. I too was nervous about all the scary stories you hear. I don't take Paxil, but I have been taking Lexapro for 7 weeks. I feel 100 times better. I still worry a bit about what might happen down the road, but for the time being I am happy and living my life, and that is what's important. You know that old saying, if you die tomorrow what would you do today? Well, I certainly wouldn't sit around with anxiety fretting about what a drug might do to me..I would take whatever I could to have the best day of my life.

Old 10-26-2005, 10:30 AM   #9
    mjewell
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mousse
    Hello,

I just recently go tup enough nerve to go to the doc, he has put me on paxil and xanax. I am scared b/c he said to take it once a day. I started today and it has made me quite drowsy. I hope this doesn't last too long b/c it will effect my work. I am also scared about gaining weight b/c I am getting married next june and i have been trying to loose weight. I hope it helps but I also hope the side effects are worth it. ALso, wanted to ask, I am supose to meet up with some old friends for drinks this weekend, both say not to drink. Does anyone have any helpful info on this or has anyone drank while taking either meds? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
    Hi Mousse..I take Lexapro and Xanax. I have had no problems drinking on either of these, however if I take more than one Xanax and then drink (usually if I am in a particularly stressful situation) I almost ALWAYS get a terrible hangover headache. If you take too much of one or the other in combo it seems to make a bad hangover, but one xanax and a few drinks shouldn't hurt. I don't think the Paxil with alcohol will hurt either.

Old 10-26-2005, 11:42 AM   #10
    mousse
    (female)

mousse HB User

Thanks, that makes me feel better! It had me worried b/c I really like to go out with friends once a week and have a good time. Do these med make you guys tired? I am really having a hard time staying awake at work. Wish I could just go take a nap. : )

Old 10-30-2005, 02:18 PM   #11
    bpblues
    (female)

bpblues HB User
    Angry Re: just starting paxil and scared about addictive nature of SSRI

I dont' want to discourage you but I feel I need to be honest about what this drug has done to myself and others I know who've taken it. I took Paxil for 4 years and gained way way too much weight and it was a monster to come off. Even weened off it for weeks and it didn't help. I've heard and seen others on Paxil gain weight. Many get that bloated look in their face, I did too. Doctors say there are other SSRIs less risky on weight, Paxil is the one known for weight gain. I had a great metabolism until Paxil. I weighed 100 pounds, couldn't gain weight for anything, then after Paxil I just packed on the pounds. It was sad.

After quitting, I lost 10 pounds in 6 days (just water weight alone I believe). Going off of Paxil is not fun at all, I felt more anxious that I'd ever felt in my life and I thought I was going to lose my mind, strange strange thoughts. There has to be something better than Paxil but that's my opinion and you should trust how you feel on it. It helped me but was not worth the weight gain. Stupid psychiatrist NEVER told me it could make me gain weight because he DIDN'T know. My ob-gyn told me to get off it because he could tell what it was doing to me. He said Paxil was well known for LOWERING metabolism.

Funny, the makers of Paxil should be sued for not putting it down as a side effect. Had I know, I would have saved myself all the grief.

Closed Thread