It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• better to take xanax when I need it, or to take paxil?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-09-2005, 07:39 PM   #1
    bumblebee919
    (female)

bumblebee919 HB User
    better to take xanax when I need it, or to take paxil?

I get anxiety constantly - I do worry about things all the time and I am extremely moody and slightly depressed, although these things do not bother me and I can deal with them without meds

what I need medication for is my physical symptoms which I often get on and off for no particular reason (drunk feeling, "out of it," derealization, lack of concentration) which affects me when I do my schoolwork, and interning at work

my doc prescribed me paxil and xanax when i need it - she assured me tha tpaxil was not addicitve but xanax was, so take xanax only when i need it

however i've been doing lots of reading and it appears that paxil is a really hard SSRI to get off of without withdrawal symptoms

my question is - if I only take xanax at most once a day or a couple times a week (1/2 a pill of .25mg), is it better just to take xanax and not bother taking paxil? I'm pretty sure I can control my xanax intake, but I'm afraid that I will get addicted to paxil and feel worse when I eventually do stop b/c of withdrawl, rebouding, etc.

I was told that paxil was needed to "fix" the chemical imbalance that I have (which causes those physical anxiety symptoms), but doesn't it only help when I'm on it, and when I go off it I may feel worse from withdrawal and nothing is really "fixed" permanently??

What are your guys's opinions on this w/ whether I should just take the xanax, or whether i should take the paxil as well?

Thanks so much!!!

Last edited by bumblebee919; 10-09-2005 at 07:54 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2005, 08:18 PM   #2
    trg247
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User
    Re: better to take xanax when I need it, or to take paxil?

I take both xanax and paxil on a daily basis. Xanax is highly addictive due to your body adjusting to it very quickly, hencing having to up the dosage to maintain the balance you have before. Now if your only taking the xanax a few times a week I would have no idea how effective it would be. Paxil is an AD that is pretty strong but one of its strong points is it helps the person feel calmer or more sedating but like other AD's it takes a while before its full effect kicks in. Paxil is also addictive but once it kicks in you will hopefully feel more balanced.

Old 10-09-2005, 09:30 PM   #3
    bumblebee919
    (female)

bumblebee919 HB User

thanks for the reply!

if you dont mind my asking, how long have you (or anyone else) been on the paxil, and do you find that you needed to increase your dosage in order for it to stay effective (b/c that's what I'm most worried about)

Old 10-10-2005, 12:17 AM   #4
    trg247
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

I started Paxil at 20mg in the middle of May by the end of August I was up to 50mg. The doctor a few weeks ago added Remeron, another AD in a different class, to the mix as he hoped it would act as a booster to the Paxil. I am pretty much at the limit, think the limit is 60mg, so if this does not work soon I will have to try another AD class.

Again depending on your diagnosis depends on how well the Paxil will work for you that and your body chemistry.

I have a severe form of major depression disorder, PTSD, and anxiety issues so that is a big reason why my dosage is so high. Paxil works well for a lot of people at a lower dossage for a long time but like any other AD's it comes with some baggage.

All AD's quit on people over any length of time, for some it is a matter of months others a matter of years.

hope this helps

Old 10-10-2005, 04:43 AM   #5
    anxietysucks
    (female)

anxietysucks HB User

Just wanted to add something to this. I don't take Paxil, but from what I understand, ALL AD's have withdrawals effects. Then again, so does Xanax. I have come to believe, and this is just my opinion, after having taken it AS PRESCRIBED 3x a day as opposed to AS NEEDED, that the withdrawals from Xanax are extremely intense. I was stupid enough to try it C/T.

Bottom line is this to me. If your anxiety is debililatating so much so that you can't focus, or can't leave the house, the pills are worth it. Also, I have been told by others who weaned off their meds, that when done under a doctors supervision (taper down instructions), basically the withdrawals are nill. So.....it works for me. With the Xanax in particular, I respect it for how powerful it is and know not to abuse it. If you don't abuse it, its a wonderful drug. Just like any other mind altering drug, it has abuse and withdrawals potentials if not taken properly. These are just my opinions.

Old 10-10-2005, 04:52 AM   #6
    crabbyroad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

crabbyroad HB User

Paxil doesn't work on an "as needed" basis, like Xanax can, it takes awhile, daily dosing, before you feel effects of it. You will not feel any immediate relief. I started at 10mgs then was at 60mgs the max on Paxil within 6 months. I quit after about 2 yrs.

Old 10-10-2005, 08:56 AM   #7
    mjewell
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User

If you are only taking .25 mgs a few times a week you are not going to get addicted to Xanax.

Old 10-10-2005, 12:48 PM   #8
    Sonika
    (female)

Sonika HB User

Paxil will keep you better, loner and safely. Xanax is addictive and it is a quick fix, that is why it is taken "as is." Again here, everybody is different, i've heard of people on paxil for 10 yrs. For me, i had to up my dosage a lot but it still works.

Old 10-10-2005, 01:18 PM   #9
    bumblebee919
    (female)

bumblebee919 HB User

thanks so much for all your responses - they're much appreciated

I spoke with my psychologist today about my concerns and she helped me calm down a bit also -- I'm going to stick with the paxil and take the xanax as needed until the paxil starts to take effect

one more question - how did you guys know when the paxil began to work? does it feel like how you feel when you take a xanax (only it lasts longer term as opposed to xanax only lasting a couple of hours)? how will I know if or when teh paxil starts "kicking in"??

Old 10-10-2005, 03:50 PM   #10
    SRMom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SRMom HB User

You have to take Paxil for at least a month to know whether it is working or not. Then, if not, the doctor will try to up your dose, or give your something else. This is an exhausting process to try to find the right AD that will help. For me they never helped.

I think taking Xanax as needed is better than taking Paxil. Paxil was hell for me on it, and getting off of it. You have to take it every day, then when you want to get off of it, you go through this unbelievable, hellish withdrawal.

I only take Xanax about twice a week, more or less, depending on my stress level. I am very careful not to get into the trap of Xanax addiction, because I don't want my tolerance level to go up so I'll have to take more...that's the trap. I've been on Xanax for over a year now (about .25 mg. twice a week) and I think it's great.

Last edited by SRMom; 10-10-2005 at 03:53 PM.

Old 10-14-2005, 10:48 AM   #11
    llovell67
    (female)

llovell67 HB User

Hi - I took Paxil for about 2 years (about 4 years ago). Yes, it worked very well when I was on it, but I had SEVERE withdrawals when I got off of it. I also had severe withdrawals when I got off of xanax. My belief is that if you really need a medication you need to take it. Paxil really helped me with my anxiety, as did xanax. My anxiety is not gone by any means, but I have my xanax to fall back on an as-needed basis. I am very watchful about not taking it too much b/c I don't want to get addicted again, and I deliberately don't take it sometimes when I need it just because of this. I guess I average about .25 mg twice a week if necessary.

Remember - all medications are different in different people. Please don't let the thought of getting 'addicted' steer you away from something that could make you feel better. Anxiety is no fun to live with, either!

Good luck to you!

Closed Thread