It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Xanax and AD Success

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-11-2005, 09:18 PM   #1
    bondgrll
    (female)

bondgrll HB User
    Xanax and AD Success

Hi All,

Just a little update to let you know that after 8 straight months of taking 1mg Xanax XR that I have tapered to zero and have been off it for about 2 weeks with no noticeable withdrawal effects. I've also been on 12 MG of Prozac (still taking) and 150 MG of Wellbutrin XL (still taking). I never would have thought these two ADs could combat anxiety and panic like xanax did (saved me back in February) but it has worked tremendously well. I posted this because I lived everyday with the fear/stigma of taking a benzo daily and the worry that I could never get off of it. That was simply not the case...I realize the dose was not huge and that the length of time was not in years but we burden ourselves with so much anxiety about the meds when many times it may be unfounded. So this was all good news and I wanted to share!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2005, 10:20 PM   #2
    Graciecat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User
    Re: Xanax and AD Success

I'm glad you posted that Bondgrl.

I took the regular version of Xanax...half a MG... everyday for 7 straight years and when I didn't have panic or anxiety problems anymore I..with the help of my Doctor... weaned off with no problems at all.
    What everyone should remember is...you're going to read more horror stories about any medication..be it a benzo or an AD...than you are success stories..not because they're aren't people out with success stories it just seems that the people who've had problems getting off of or starting a medication seem to be much more vocal.

Everyone should always remember that just because someone else has a bad experiance does not mean you will too.

Nobody else can tell you what's best for you, only you and your Doctor can make that decision.

When I first came to this board a few years ago I was still taking the Xanax...believe me, I was told...and sometimes not in a nice way...how I WAS going to have to up my dose and how IF I tried to get off of them that I WAS going to have all kinds of problems...well, none of that happened...I NEVER upped my dose one single time..in fact I was taking less than was prescribed...and I didn't have any withdrawel at all when I weaned off.

I'm just glad I listened to myself instead of letting other people scare me.

Yes, it is true that some people become dependent on or tolorant to benzo's but it simply does not happen to everyone...that's what we all should remember.

I did try two SSRI's...I won't even name them because it doesn't make any difference...they weren't for me and that's all I'll say about it...I would never come on and post a horror story about a medication.
    Just because they weren't for me doesn't mean they won't be a life saver for someone else.
    It's not my place to tell other people what medication they should or shouldn't take, it's not my choice it's theirs and should be left up to them and their Doctor,

Sorry this kind of turned into a rant, but it was so nice to see that someone else weaned off with success and posted about it

Old 10-12-2005, 06:01 AM   #3
    anxietysucks
    (female)

anxietysucks HB User

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for this post!!! I needed this right now. I was guilt tripped into coming off Xanax by both people who didn't understand anxiety and those who gave me the horrors of tolerance and withdrawals. I literally began to feel more like a junkie instead of someone with a "real" illness.

Graciecat - wow....that's all I can say. Like you, SSRI's don't work for me. Xanax does. So, in my case that's what I take for my attacks. Not to put down AD's. I just couldn't tolerate them. I am SOOOOOO happy to hear that you came off with no problems. That's about my dosage and I've been on them for a little over two years. I only take them when I'm having true anxiety. Thank you both soooooo much. You just made my day!

Isn't it funny how with most things in life, people usually only want to talk about the downside? Like labor pains. You hear all the horror stories, but when you're pregnant with your first, you never stop to think about if they are that bad, why would people have more children after having the first??? You just get yourself all worked up over the horror stories and start stressing for the worst. That's the only analogy I could think of.

Old 10-12-2005, 07:24 AM   #4
    Graciecat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User

anxietysucks,

I'm so glad that something I said made you feel better.
    When I saw bondgrll's thread I just had to respond and thank her for posting what she did....I wish she'd have been around when I first got here.
    It would have helped a lot to have some positive feedback rather than all the negative that I was getting.

At that time I'd been on the Xanax for about 5 and 1/2 years and handn't had any dependence or tolorance issues to that point...of course when I posted that they were oh so happy to tell me..."It can happen at any time" Then one day I just decided that people could post and tell me all the horror stories they wanted to.
    While I'm sure they had the best of intentions, that didn't mean I had to listen.
    They weren't in my shoes and they had no idea what it was like to live in my head and until they did I just looked at all the negative stuff as what it was, their opinion, (Which they were entitled to) but, it in no way meant that what happend to them was going to happen to me....and it never did.

I'd never upped the dose...even when I felt really hyper and probably another quarter MG. would have made me feel better....I would NEVER allow myself to take more...I should probably say at this point that I have OCD...and I had it in my head that all I was ever going to take was that quarter mg. twice a day and that was it...not one single crumb more was going to go into my body no matter what, and it never did...perhaps that's why I never had a problem, who knows!

Then I weaned off without problems and didn't post for a while, but I'd still come here and read all the posts....I'd read the ones from people who were scared to take this drug or that drug and I'd see a few negative posts but slowly the postive ones started showing up also.
    I guess I was chicken and didn't want to have my head handed to me again if I posted about the fact that I'd taken one of the "dreaded benzo's" and God forbide had stayed on it for a long period of time.

Then I decided that I would start posting my experiance...if anyone asked, because I wanted others to know that yes, benzos are powerful and they should always be taken with caution and that they do cause problems for some people, but it does not happen to everyone...and I always posted the first thing my Doctor told me when I started taking them...he told me to take only what I needed to take, that just because the bottle said I could take "X" amount "X" amount of times a day that in no way meant that I had to take the amount...if taking less helped then I should take less, if I could talk myself down instead of running for the pill bottle then that's what I should do he said taking less was great, but to never, ever for any reason take more than was prescribed and if I ever felt that I needed to take more, to stop, not take more and call him.

So now that I wrote another book , I just want to say again, that I'm glad something I said helped you, and I want to again thank bondgrll for posting her positive story.

Old 10-12-2005, 07:24 AM   #5
    mjewell
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bondgrll
    Hi All,

Just a little update to let you know that after 8 straight months of taking 1mg Xanax XR that I have tapered to zero and have been off it for about 2 weeks with no noticeable withdrawal effects. I've also been on 12 MG of Prozac (still taking) and 150 MG of Wellbutrin XL (still taking). I never would have thought these two ADs could combat anxiety and panic like xanax did (saved me back in February) but it has worked tremendously well. I posted this because I lived everyday with the fear/stigma of taking a benzo daily and the worry that I could never get off of it. That was simply not the case...I realize the dose was not huge and that the length of time was not in years but we burden ourselves with so much anxiety about the meds when many times it may be unfounded. So this was all good news and I wanted to share!
    What a wonderful post bondgrl, I'm sure you have put MANY minds at ease.

Did the Wellbutrin help your sex drive at all? I am thinking about asking my doctor about taking Wellbutrin in combo with Lexapro at my next visit.

Old 10-13-2005, 12:09 AM   #6
    YouKnowYou

YouKnowYou HB User

Good post....I started my journey down the latter on tuesday...2mg a day down to now 1.5mg a day for 10 days then 1mg for 10 days...etc till 0. I feel Xanax has jumpstarted my life again, but I've also noticed now that its been a good 6 months, the feelings of being high and dependant are bugging me.

Old 10-13-2005, 05:44 PM   #7
    bondgrll
    (female)

bondgrll HB User

Are you taking anything else besides the Xanax? The Wellbutrin did add energy and zest back to life so in turn it did affect sex drive to some degree. All around it seems to be a great drug with no side effects for me. I think we are all so different chemically and that some may feel the drug leaving their body ever so slowly and it can be a real pain! As ridiculous as it sounds, I am so grateful for Xanax because it is what started me down the healing journey...it worked well and efficiently and never required an increase in dose. It also had no side effects except complete relief. Keep us posted on your progress. ON the fine print that comes with the Xanax XR it said that the withdrawal effects felt in 20% of patients were the same as those with the regular xanax....interesting!

Old 10-13-2005, 09:02 PM   #8
    YouKnowYou

YouKnowYou HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bondgrll
    Are you taking anything else besides the Xanax? The Wellbutrin did add energy and zest back to life so in turn it did affect sex drive to some degree. All around it seems to be a great drug with no side effects for me. I think we are all so different chemically and that some may feel the drug leaving their body ever so slowly and it can be a real pain! As ridiculous as it sounds, I am so grateful for Xanax because it is what started me down the healing journey...it worked well and efficiently and never required an increase in dose. It also had no side effects except complete relief. Keep us posted on your progress. ON the fine print that comes with the Xanax XR it said that the withdrawal effects felt in 20% of patients were the same as those with the regular xanax....interesting!
    Is this to me?

I took Paxil for a couple years starting in 2000....Just last winter I started panicing again....My doctor recommended Lexapro. Went on it for a couple months and could not get past the side effects...vomiting,dizziness,disassociat ion....so when I started Lexapro, my doc recommended xanax to "put out" the fire...Right from Lexapro I went to Zoloft...Which I am on now. 100mg. So I want/think now that it is in my system for months and months I can do without the xanax. So far so good
    .5mg less a day and i already don't feel so "high"

Closed Thread