It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Does it really get better?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-18-2005, 08:30 AM   #1
    sarah5432
    (female)

sarah5432 HB User
    Does it really get better?

I'm on day 12 of taking Lexapro 5mg's. I plan to take it up to 10mg's starting tomorrow but my question is this. I've been having horrible heartburn/acid reflux since starting the Lexapro and my doc prescribed Nexium which is helping. However, my anxiety hasn't gotten any better since starting the Lexapro. Does it really get better with time or am I wasting my time with this? I thought I'd feel something after the first week or at least by now, but I haven't.

My psychiatrist wants me to stick with it. I tried Paxil earlier this year and only lasted 8 days because it made my anxiety 10 times worse. I don't think the Lexapro has necessarily made it worse, it just isn't helping, at least not yet.

Does it really get better with time and does it really take this long to feel anything? I keep hoping to wake up one morning and feel better but so far I've been disappointed every morning. I try to keep myself busy and I do have Xanax that I take twice daily but even with that I still don't feel any better.

Maybe the 10mg's will help? I tried taking 10mg's before but it made my heartburn/reflux much worse so I went back down to 5mg's for a few more days.

Sorry to ramble. I'm just having one of those days where my mind is wandering all over the place and I'm wondering if I'm wasting my time or if its worth it to stick it out for another week or two and see if things change.
    This is so frustrating. I've talked to people who took Lexapro and felt great a week later. Why can't that be me!?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2005, 08:34 AM   #2
    mjewell
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User
    Re: Does it really get better?

Hi Sarah-

I didn't feel noticeably better until the end of my fourth week - last week. I was able to measure it by the fact that I didn't have to take Xanax anymore. I also had to go up to 20mg to feel the full effect. As long as it isn't making you feel worse, stick with it.

I have been having bad heartburn and stomach pain, but I didn't associate it with Lexapro. I didn't know that was a side effect. I have been taking Prilosec and that has helped a lot. Tha actually puts my mind at eas a bit...i was afraid I had an ulcer or something!!

Old 10-18-2005, 08:43 AM   #3
    sarah5432
    (female)

sarah5432 HB User

I'm so happy to see that someone else has had the heartburn/stomach pain too! Not that I'm glad we have it, but you know what I mean! My doctor said its a side effect and I kinda figured it was since I never had it before I started taking the Lexapro. I just started the Nexium yesterday and its helped a little. I'm sure it'll help more with time.

I'm just really frustrated that it takes so long to get any relief. My anxiety isn't worse, but its just not better. I was hoping for better a lot sooner.
    I hope I start to feel a little better after I start the 10mg's.
    Thanks for replying. Its so nice to hear others going through the same when I'm having a rough day.

Old 10-18-2005, 09:15 AM   #4
    mjewell
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Yeah, the stomach thing was weird...I was convinced I had gallstones, ulcer...well, you know how our minds work!

I know you want relief ASAP, but trust me, once you get it is SO worth the wait. I cannot tell you how good it feels to feel relaxed all day long. I wake up and I don't immediately feel sick and have butterflies...I don't have a sickening sense of dread when I have to go to a meeting...I don't have to take 2 Xanax and have a glass of wine before I go to a friend's house for dinner...its just little things that other people take for granted, but I am so grateful for!

This weekend was a beautiful one weather wise. All the trees are just starting to turn and it has been sunny and 70-ish. i was feeling really good so I decided to take my dogs to the park to run. As I was driving down the road with my sunroof open and the sun and cool breeze on my face I realized I haven't been this happy or felt this good for at least 2 years. I literally had perma-grin. I just felt so content, happy and grateful just for a beautiful day. I know I am being cheesy, but I just feel happy for the first time in a long time, and I know that will happen to you too.

Old 10-18-2005, 10:50 AM   #5
    Sonika
    (female)

Sonika HB User

Lexapro gave me horrible nausea. I felt like i was going to throw my guts out every time i opened my mouth. If you have a guava tree nearby (i know they are rare, sorry) use the leaves to make a tea and drink it. It helps with the stomach. Chamomile will too.

Old 10-18-2005, 12:09 PM   #6
    bkm4673
    Veteran
    (male)

bkm4673 HB User

mjewell u got me more excited to get on lexapro especially how u said u had a perma grin keep it up...............

Old 10-18-2005, 12:21 PM   #7
    sarah5432
    (female)

sarah5432 HB User

I can agree, I just hope I have the same results! My anxiety has been getting higher as the day goes on today. I took a Xanax about 4 hours ago but I think I need to take another one. They're only .25mg's and I was told I may need extra for awhile but I was hoping I wouldn't need it.

I'm just ready for this Lexapro to kick in. I'm miserable right now and really want relief! I keep getting these little surges of adrenaline that give me palpitations and then of course I panic. Its been an endless cycle for me.

I'm glad you're feeling so well, I can only hope I can feel that way again too!

Old 10-18-2005, 01:14 PM   #8
    mjewell
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bkm and sarah -

yeah, I realize Lexapro isn't a cure, but for the time being I am not going to worry about what other people think or what MIGHT happen. You have to do whatever you can to make yourself feel better. Sarah, if that means taking another Xanax then do it. .25 mgs is a VERY low dose, so its not a big deal if you take even 3 in one day...that's still not even a full mg. I still needed 1 mg (2 a day) of Xanax for the first 3 weeks I was on lex, then all the sudden last Friday it just kicked in and I didn't need one since Thursday.

I did take one today but I probably could have done without it. I was just feeling kind of icky but not really anxious...it's almost that time of the month so it was probably that.

Old 10-18-2005, 04:44 PM   #9
    sarah5432
    (female)

sarah5432 HB User

You have no idea how happy I am to hear that! I knew the beginning of Lexapro would probably be rough but after this week started out bad I thought it wasn't the drug for me. Hearing your story has given me hope. Tomorrow I'm going up to 10mg's and I hope to be feeling better within the next week-two weeks. I want to thank you for sharing your story. Its incredibly encouraging.

I do plan on taking that extra Xanax tomorrow if I need it. I feel fine when my husband is here but he has to go back to work tomorrow which means its just me and my daughter (almost 2yrs old) so I'm always extra anxious until he gets home. I'm always worried of something happening and my daughter being left alone.

Thank you again for posting your experience. I really appreciate it.

Old 10-19-2005, 08:26 AM   #10
    sarah5432
    (female)

sarah5432 HB User

I'm having another bad day today. I'm SO jealous that others have had such good experiences with Lexapro. I've been waking everynight for the last 4 nights with my heart racing and pounding. It only lasts a couple of minutes but then it happens again later in the night. I can never fall back to sleep after this and its incredibly frustrating.

I have called my doc again wondering if I should continue the Lexapro. I know she'll tell me yes, but my anxiety is even higher today. I already took a Xanax and notice no difference. My heart keeps racing and pounding and my chest is incredibly tight and I feel short of breath. I had all of this before Lexapro too, but I think the Lexapro is making it worse.

It sucks. One minute I think its working fine and the next minute I don't. I went up to 10mg's for the first time today too. I just want to cry!!!!!

thanks for letting me vent.

Old 10-19-2005, 12:59 PM   #11
    mjewell
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hang in there babe, take another Xanax. Is there anything you like to do at home that can calm you? I know you mentioned you have a young child so time alone can be difficult. Could you play a game with your baby, or take a hot bath?

Old 10-19-2005, 02:29 PM   #12
    sarah5432
    (female)

sarah5432 HB User

I did take an extra Xanax and it helped. My daughter is very good at keeping me busy but I still think of the anxiety in the back of my mind. And with my heart racing, the palpiations and heightened anxiety its harder to keep myself occupied. Did you experience more anxiety in the beginning? I called my doc again today but she hasn't returned my call so I don't expect to hear from her until tomorrow....I hate it when they do that!!

Old 10-19-2005, 02:35 PM   #13
    mjewell
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

It's hard to tell whether I had more anxiety in the beginning or not...at the time I started the Lexapro i was having the worst bout of anxiety in the entire 15 years I've had it, so I don't know how much worse it could have gotten!! I know I was having to take at least 1 mg of xanax a day, sometimes more, up until last week. Now I'm not taking any.

I really hope it starts working for you. I have a feeling after a few days on 10mg you will feel better.

I know what you mean about keeping yourself busy when all the symptoms are there. Everyone always says that, do something to keep yourself busy, but for me that is impossible until i feel better. Honestly when I am in the throes of an anxiety attack all i can do is lock myself in the bathroom and cover my face with myhands until it passes.

Old 10-19-2005, 03:09 PM   #14
    sarah5432
    (female)

sarah5432 HB User

Thank you so much for replying. You have no idea how much this means to me. I'm really having a hard time right now and my husband doesn't quite understand it. He tries his best but it doesn't really help me much. The rest of my family lives far away so we don't get to see them very often.

I feel like I'm alone in this and I'm scared because of everything I'm going through. My anxiety was also at an all-time high before I started the Lexapro and maybe its at the same level and I'm just freaking out more, who knows.

I've been posting a lot and I'm sure everyone is getting tired of hearing from me, but I really do appreciate the replies. It helps me get through the day.

Thank you, again.

Old 10-20-2005, 10:48 PM   #15
    NANAX10
    (female)

NANAX10 HB User

Sarah,

I just finished reading your posts and feel your pain/anxiety. I just started Lexapro about 5 weeks ago. I stayed on .5 mg for about 3 weeks and then went to 3/4 of 10 mg. and then to 10mg. Unfortunately, I had to go back down to the 3/4 because I was soooooooo sleepy for for the 4 days I was taking the 10mg. Hang in there!! It took a good 3 weeks for me to feel some difference and boy I thank God for this medication! I'm such a light weight when it comes to medication but I can honestly say the side effects haven't been all that bad. At some point, I may try the full 10mg. again but for now this 3/4 is working and so why tempt fate? I know it is hard while getting the medication in your system so that is why you still need to take your anti-anxiety medication. Trust me, it WILL get better, promise!

Hope this has helped some.

Closed Thread