It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Could Anxiety Cause All This? I'm Not Convinced

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-18-2005, 04:02 PM   #1
    UBR
    (male)

UBR HB User
    Could Anxiety Cause All This? I'm Not Convinced

I have recently posted about numerous symptoms I've had all year, most of which have gotten worse.

Right now, I am having a very embarrassing problem that is difficult to get treated for. My private area, for over a month, is turning dark at times, and I will wake with it half-(lengthened). Sometimes in that state it will look very dark, or just very red. Underneath it, especially when I'm bathing, the skin will get very red and a vein is dark blue and almost looks round and fattened. I am becoming afraid this may be a clot. I have had pain in my private part for months, but not great pain, and infrequent. It seems to be the artery, and often it's related to a fast pulse. I have seen a cardiologist who dismissed this and called it anxiety. He did not look at the place. Also, a few weeks ago, with this reddish color (which is usually quite hot) in my fingers, my left forefinger swelled out quite a bit for a few minutes. I sometimes have very dark red spots on my red, hot fingertips. Then this flushing goes away. I am beginning to wonder if this might be heart-related, rather than some of the other things I've wondered about, which are, to recap:

I am waiting on results of new bloodwork/urine tests looking for carcinoid syndrome. For many months I've had unexplained flushing, at first without much redness of the face or other areas. In January I began to have episodic bronchospasm (the diagnosis, which was not easy to get, in early fall). And since April, I've had constipated diarrhea, which for three weeks has changed to hard, small bowel movements that still have a liquid quality.

I have lost weight but gained it back, lost it again, gained it back. I've probably gained weight since the new bowel symptoms started. My weight was originally around 192, and has stayed in the 185 range since June. It will go down, or go to around 188. The lowest it has gone, and the scale may have been incorrect, was 178. The usual "low" number is 181 or 182. Earlier in the year, in fact till late summer, I had unexplained thyroid fluctuations that were diagnosed as borderline hyperthyroid. The tests have all been normal for weeks. My appetite has been normal and in fact, was ravenous before the thyroid tests began to show normal readings. I don't know if it's coincidence. My main doctor acted as if he suspected thyroid abnormalities.

Since March I have had bouts of PSVT tachycardia. I've had these for years, while sleeping. I would wake with them. The ones this year have happened out of the blue, while I'm busy and not at all anxious. Recently doctors told me that the on/off but worsening fatigue I've felt may be from tachycardia and PSVT. I wore two monitors and they found pulses of up to 160 while I was awake, and of which I was not aware.

Carcinoid syndrome causes all of the symptoms I have. My heartbeat has felt pressured this year, and I've been told it throbs rather than beats at times. Then, it will beat normally. The carcinoid syndrome hits and runs. I don't know if I have it, but in late July, when I learned what it was, I saw it was the one condition that fits most of my symptoms.

I have OCD anxiety but have never been physically sick from it. I am not convinced it is the problem. I'm 37 and many people in my family have been sick around this age. Arrhythmias like the one I have are common on my dad's side.

I wonder if the blue vein in my private area and some of the other blue discoloration in veins and skin -- not great, easily dismissed by a doctor but clearly there at times -- might be cyanosis? That is a part of the carcinoid syndrome, also.

I would appreciate any speculations.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2005, 05:37 AM   #2
    10D
    Inactive
    (male)

10D HB User
    Re: Could Anxiety Cause All This? I'm Not Convinced

It seems to me that you are obsessing over symptoms, many of which are appearance symptoms. It is somewhat normal for your privates to become darker at times, and the appearance of veins to differ. The pain which you say is not that severe is intermittant and could be caused by many things including strain etc. The main thing is you dont have terrible pain in any of your symptoms. Your bowel problems seem to be ibs like. In other words you dont have severe pain in the privates, you dont have blood with all your bowel movements, you dont have severe lung pain or gasping for air. There comes a point where we become over obsessed with smaller aches and pains. You probably have some physical issues, maybe an ibs like condition with your bowels and so on, but as you start to worry more and more about them, you notice more, a bulge in your abdomen for example, which may be a muscle that youve had all your life and just started noticing. It also seems you are looking up symptoms and speculating towards cancer. otherwise i dont think anyone else would come up with your diagnosis. I would suggest being careful with your diet, using a little fiber. A good panel of blood tests just to be sure. Perhaps show a good general practioner your privates and see what they think. Once youve had a decent physical, try to ignore the pains somewhat and concentrate on other things. Its a fact that the more you dwell on these things, the worse you will feel. You are also worried about inheriting conditions that you may never have. Just keep telling yourself that the problems are small, and think how worse they could be, and try to distract yourself from them.
    Its my opinion, but from your post, it seems you are overreacting. Good luck.

Closed Thread