It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Whats the best Anti Depressent you have taken?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-25-2005, 01:21 PM   #1
    awm38
    (female)

awm38 HB User
    Whats the best Anti Depressent you have taken?

I take Lexapro, and it works pretty well, but i gain weight from it. Im trying to find one that works, but doesnt put the pounds on ....any suggestions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2005, 01:55 PM   #2
    GLSheridan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GLSheridan HB User
    Re: Whats the best Anti Depressent you have taken?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by awm38
    I take Lexapro, and it works pretty well, but i gain weight from it. Im trying to find one that works, but doesnt put the pounds on ....any suggestions?
    Every SSRI has the "potential" to cause weight gain. However, many professionals agree that proper diet and exercise, weight gain shouldn't occur. Anyway, it's a trial and error thing. What causes weight gain for you, might not for someone else, and vice versa. Also, you may find a SSRI that doesn't cause cravings or weight gain, but it might have other worse side effects. Sometimes that "perfect answer" just can't be found.

But discuss your concerns with your prescriber, and make sure to eat a healthy diet and get plenty of exercise.

Old 10-26-2005, 02:50 PM   #3
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

if its reducing your anxiety and not just giving a placebo effect be pleased and eat less, ask doc about adjusting the dose
    agree that some of these meds cause food cravings and compulsive eating for some people but this isnt the same as weight gain

Old 10-26-2005, 04:00 PM   #4
    americandancer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

americandancer HB User

What can be done to stop the cravings caused by anti-depressants?

Old 10-27-2005, 05:10 AM   #5
    LonelyTraveler

LonelyTraveler HB User

The best (ie; most effective) SSRI I have ever taken was Effexor (about 12 years ago). It took several weeks to work but when it finally "kicked in", it was like the difference between night and day and I felt completely transformed and normal. However, because of the very weird dreams, impotence and other side effects, I had to stop taking it.

The second best SSRI (at least for me) has been Celexa. It actually increased my sex drive (I've heard others say it had this effect on them as well), it only took a few days to start working (2 weeks for max effect) and I felt normal and motivated again (like my old self).

The worst for me was Paxil (terrifying nightmares, total impotence, head shocks, spaced-out and dizzy constantly...YUK!!.

That's about all I can tell you. Good luck.

Old 10-27-2005, 05:44 AM   #6
    SpiralingDown
    (female)

SpiralingDown HB User

I know that this won't help you b/c you're already on it, but for the sake of other folks who might be interested....

The best AD I've ever been on is Lexapro. I can't even begin to praise this drug enough! I was on it for just under a year in 2003 for GAD and I'm back on it now for GAD. I can always begin to feel some positive effects within about 7 to 10 days. It's like this totally new person emerges. By the end of 3 weeks... I'm back to my old self again and not even reaching for the Xanax bottle anymore. I experienced no weight gain and only minimal start up side effects which totally dissapeared once I decided to ramp up my dosage (2.5mg for 5 days, 5 mg for 5 days, and then onto 10 mg). Also, like the person above mentioned with Celexa... the Lexapro actually increases my sex drive. DH and I are very pleased, to say the least.

Coming off Lex the first time around wasn't all that difficult for me either. I decreased my dosage gradually over a period of 3 weeks. I did experience two moderate boughts of vertigo, but other than that I was just fine.

HTH someone out there.

Last edited by SpiralingDown; 10-27-2005 at 05:48 AM.

Old 10-27-2005, 11:06 AM   #7
    awm38
    (female)

awm38 HB User

For some reason i was thinking that Celexa and Lexapro are almost the same AD, just different names. Maybe im wrong. I cant see that the Lexapro makes me crave food more, i can eat the EXACT same thing when im off and when im on the Lex, and i see the weight gain, not much, but 3 or 4 lbs. Maybe i shouldnt worry about it if it helps Did I forget to mention that Lexapro causes me SEVERE gas problems? OMG!

Last edited by awm38; 10-27-2005 at 11:12 AM. Reason: left important part out

Old 10-27-2005, 11:21 AM   #8
    americandancer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

americandancer HB User

I have gas problems with lex also - I feel bloated. It sure does help anxity though!

Old 10-27-2005, 12:42 PM   #9
    bkm4673
    Veteran
    (male)

bkm4673 HB User

i am taking lexapro day 6 and it is helping a bit i think. i havent gained any weight at all but i excersize 4 days a week with weights and cardio .............good luck............

Closed Thread