It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Virus triggered Anxiety

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-17-2005, 11:32 AM   #1
    Inferit
    (male)

Inferit HB User
    Virus triggered Anxiety

I have had Anxiety for as long as I could remember. It was never bad and was usually just triggered by some phobias I had, like flying or being trapped. About a month ago I contracted a Virus, since then I have had Anxiety just about every day since then. They are not full blown panic attacks, but its just a constant worry. It helps when I get my mind off my health and play a video game or something, but if I just sit and think about it I start to get a little worried. I'm haveing this feeling right now from thinking about it. I know I am fine, the Virus has come and gone.. I still have a bit of congestion, I think its sinuses triggered by the virus(?). Before I got sick I was out looking for a "good" job (got a college degree a few months ago) and now I find it hard to drive my car by myself. I don't know why.. I never had a problem with it before. I guess in the back of my mind I'm affraid I might have an attack while driving.
    I'm not sure what too do. I don't really have the cash for a Doctor's visit (unemployed). I tried talking to my girlfriend about it, but I find it very hard to explain. I can tell she is worried about me and she constatlly asks "How are you feeling today?" "Do you still have Anxiety?" etc.. But to be honest I don't think this helps me much. Even if I was, at that time she asks, having some worry I would lie to her telling her "I'm fine." If I say I was feeling Anxiety she would continue to talk to me about it and it would make it worse for me becouse now i'm thinking about it.
    I'm hoping this is something that will pass on its own, maybe when my sinus get cleared up and then I can stop worrying about breathing issues. I just dont know why this is happening. I don't think i'm depressed, I have a lot too look forward too still. Im just really confused.. Is it common for a illness to trigger Anxiety? If so, when the illness is better is it common for the Anxiety to still be present?
    Anyways, I'm sorry for the long post. I guess it feels kind of good to vent some of this off on cyberspace. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2005, 11:39 AM   #2
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
    Re: Virus triggered Anxiety

i dont think the virus had much to do with it
    borrow some books from a library on overcoming agoraphobia and panic disorder and try to get some valium type meds to take as needed, tell doc ytou have little money as they sometimes give out sample packs free
    car driving problems are common for anxiety sufferers
    gentle exercise and long walks will help by relaxing you

Old 11-17-2005, 11:48 AM   #3
    Inferit
    (male)

Inferit HB User

Thx for the reply.

But I never really had bad Anxiety untill I got infected with the Virus. I mean, I had some Anxiety with some phobias, but I thought it was normal. Right when I started to get symptoms of having a virus like cold chills, tiredness, etc.. I had really bad Anxiety. I didn't know what was going on at the time I just started to have panic attacks and I knew something wasn't right. At that time I didn't even know I was coming down with a Virus. Yeah, that first day it all started was rough... wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

Old 11-23-2005, 05:40 PM   #4
    Barking Mad
    (male)

Barking Mad HB User

I've found over the years that some of my worst periods of anxiety have coincided with viruses. I'd had little regular problem with anxiety for months until I got a particularly nasty bout of flu a few months ago and have been trying to get back on track since. To be honest I'm not sure whether the virus itself causes some form of change in body chemistry which triggers the anxiety, or whther the anxiety flares because of existing health-related phobias. In my case I suspect its the later.

Closed Thread