It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Lexapro Withdrawal??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-25-2005, 08:21 AM   #1
    eco22
    (male)

eco22 HB User
    Lexapro Withdrawal??

Hello! I was hoping to get some feedback on possible Lexapro withdrawal. My Dr. prescribed me Lexapro for apparent GAD about a month or so ago. Originally I was feeling dizzy at work, but my Doc though it was anxiety so he prescribed this and said the side effects are very minimal. I started taking it, but I wasn't happy with some of the side effects I was feeling. I started feeling more or less like a zombie; being tired all the time and not feeling like myself. I was also achy at times and felt some aches and pains through my body, including joint pain (hands, shoulder, hips, etc) which I did not previously have. I also experience slight tremor and some sexual side effects as well (low sex drive). After about 3 weeks, I decided that I didn't want to take this pill anymore and my Doc advised to taper off. Being the fool that I am, I quit cold turkey. The first few days were okay, but now I'm not so sure. I have been off for about 10 days or so, and the aches and pains are pretty bad. Mostly a dull pain, but still not a lot of fun. Joints still ache, and emotionally I seem to drift back and forth between being "normal" and being irritable and frustrated. Sleep is also an issue, and I have to seemingly take a xanax to get a good nights rest. I also feel fatigued, but this feeling seems to come and go. I show no other signs of any other illness (I've had plenty of tests over the past few weeks, so I have had blood work done as well as an MRI and numerous other examinations). I guess my question is if anyone else has experienced similar issues. I have researched this on the net as much as I can, and everything I am experiencing seems to be associated with the pill and possible withdrawal, although I didn't know that an anti-depressent could effect the body as much as it does (meaning the joints and muscles). Any feedback would be most welcome. Thank you for your time!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2005, 05:12 PM   #2
    Looneyinmn
    (male)

Looneyinmn HB User
    Re: Lexapro Withdrawal??

I was on Lexapro for 16 months after going through a period of health anxiety. I got to feeling real good and went off cold turkey when my prescription ran out. I suffered from terrible headaches, headspins, dizziness, sinus/ear pressure, it really sucked. Not realizing this was withdrawal symptoms I got real worked up about my health again and could feel myself slipping back into the anxiety mode. The thing that bums me out about this whole thing is noone warned me about the possible withdrawal symptoms or I may have been able to tough it out.

Well anyway I went back on Lexapro, now the headspins, etc. are gone but I have body aches all over. Arms, hands, shoulders,legs. I don't know if it's anxiety induced or Lexapro induced. It did start after I began taking the Lexapro again. All I know is it sucks. My plan is to ween myself of this stuff very slowly and see what happens. Hopefully the pain will go away and the dizziness and so on will not come back. We'll see. The muscle pain does not keep me from doing anything, at this point it is just a steady ache that of course I worry maybe something more serious. I'm sick of worrying, I just want it all to go away so I can relax and enjoy life again. Let's hang in their and see what happens.

Last edited by Looneyinmn; 11-25-2005 at 05:14 PM.

Old 11-25-2005, 08:05 PM   #3
    eco22
    (male)

eco22 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Looneyinmn
    I was on Lexapro for 16 months after going through a period of health anxiety. I got to feeling real good and went off cold turkey when my prescription ran out. I suffered from terrible headaches, headspins, dizziness, sinus/ear pressure, it really sucked. Not realizing this was withdrawal symptoms I got real worked up about my health again and could feel myself slipping back into the anxiety mode. The thing that bums me out about this whole thing is noone warned me about the possible withdrawal symptoms or I may have been able to tough it out.

Well anyway I went back on Lexapro, now the headspins, etc. are gone but I have body aches all over. Arms, hands, shoulders,legs. I don't know if it's anxiety induced or Lexapro induced. It did start after I began taking the Lexapro again. All I know is it sucks. My plan is to ween myself of this stuff very slowly and see what happens. Hopefully the pain will go away and the dizziness and so on will not come back. We'll see. The muscle pain does not keep me from doing anything, at this point it is just a steady ache that of course I worry maybe something more serious. I'm sick of worrying, I just want it all to go away so I can relax and enjoy life again. Let's hang in their and see what happens.
    Hi, and thanks for your response! I feel your pain, literally! The muscle pain does not stop me from doing anything, including the occassional work out, but it is very annoying, and sometimes keeps me up at night. What truly is frustrating is that it seems to encompass my whole body from head to toe. I, too, worry that it could be something else. God forbid, but I have feared such things as ALS, MS and other ailments. Then the anxiety starts over again (like a vicious cycle). I made an appointment with a Rheumatologist (sp?) for the heck of it. I spoke with a pharmacist also, and asked him about Lexapro and quitting cold turkey, and he confirmed that I should not have done that. He said it could be causing some of my symptoms. All I know is that my wife is expecting our first child in a few months, and I really want to start feeling normal again. I will never go back on Lexapro, that much is certain. I hope you start feeling better again soon, and that we can both move on to a happy and healthy life again...

Old 11-25-2005, 08:49 PM   #4
    littlejmb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

littlejmb HB Userlittlejmb HB User

HI,

I was on Lexapro from March to August. It worked great for me and I felt wonderful emotionally and phsically, but I stayed hungry and I was bummed about the sexual side affects it had on me. So - I got my doctor to let me change to Wellbutrin XL. Well - my doctor (GYN) told me to just stop the Lex and start on the Wellbutrin. I had been taking 10mg of Lex and the week before, I had dropped down to 5mg and the day before I started on the WB, I had forgotten to take it so I figured I would be ok. I was ok for about a week - then I started coming apart! I felt like I had the flu, I ached all over - had trouble breathing, felt inbetween rage and crying spells. I searched on these boards and found that is was Lexapro withdrawal. So - I went back on the 5mg for a week, 2.5 mg a week, and then that every other day and quit. I started taking 5 HTP along with the WB and I made it pretty good that time. The only thing I noticed that time was the head zaps. They were pretty bad for about a month and then slowly started going away.

Maybe you should try taking the 5 HTP and keep your seratonin levels up and it will help you with the withdrawal. It sure helped me!

Old 11-25-2005, 09:13 PM   #5
    Looneyinmn
    (male)

Looneyinmn HB User

I too, made an appointment with a rheumatologist (among others). I asked him straight out about MS because that was one of my major freaking points. He just laughed and told me I moved way to good to have MS. It turned out to be a $300 BS session and he told me I should think about getting a massage. I'm not sure if I was relieved or ticked off because he pretty much blew me off. I guess that's better than having him tell me something was seriously wrong...I hope it goes the same for you.

Old 11-26-2005, 07:15 AM   #6
    eco22
    (male)

eco22 HB User

Thanks to you both for your feedback! I hope my rheumatologist at least gives me some answers. I hate when they blow you off like that, as I have had that happen recently as well. The neurologist I saw basically said there is nothing wrong, and he prescribed me Xanax. Docs love these pills I guess. I woke up today with the usual stiffness in the joints and achy feeling, but I guess it's going to linger for awhile. Does anyone know if exercising and working out helps alleviate any of the symptoms? At this point, anything that can help would be a godsend!

Closed Thread