It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• The perfect anxiety pill!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-26-2005, 07:16 AM   #1
    jennica
    (female)

jennica HB User
    Wink The perfect anxiety pill!

Ok, so there isn't one.

I'm fairly new to the anxiety meds world. I was at my general doctor explaining my constant stomach problems that I've had for (gulp) 14 years. We went over the whole lactose intolerance diagnosis that I received when I was 16 which just didn't really help or explain anything. So then I mentioned my anxiety and the two just fit. So she prescribed Effexor XR. I gradually increased dosage to 187.5 and it's helped me tremendously not just with anxiety & my stomach, but with my social phobia. She also recommended that I see a therapist and she gave me a small script of Xanax for really bad moments - of course I took those regularly. So I made an appt with a pyschiatrist when I really should've just seen a psychologist. This guy was like, "why would you be on Effexor for anxiety, it's for depression etc etc" and then he was looking in a med book which kinda scared me and he said "How long hav eyou been depressed" and I said, "I'M NOT!"...Anyhow, he said Xanax was not good and I should be on Klonopin. So I've been trying that and basically it just makes me want to sleep.

So I see him again on the 30th. Joy....and I now see a therapist as well that first and foremost said EXERCISE...and I joined a gym (only because a friend did, otherwise I wouldn't have had the courage) and it feels GREAT.

Anyhow, let's see, what my point....

Oh, are there any anxiety meds you use that do NOT make you want to sleep? Also, the addiction part is semi-scary...and the fact that if you keep taking them they induce anxiety ...A friend mentioned Atarax...?

Just looking for something for those really tense times. I hope in time that deep breaths will be enough and I don't have to depend on pills. I'm not ready for that yet...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2005, 07:46 AM   #2
    bulletinboard25
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

bulletinboard25 HB User
    Re: The perfect anxiety pill!

Xanax and Klonopin are pretty much top-notch anti-anxiety pills....

A psych I visit rates Xanax as his #1 choice.

I don't think you'll find something "better".

If you want something in the same class of medicines thats less sedating and milder... you might want to inquire about Ativan.... its also a "benzo" anti-anxiety med, that most seem to find less sedating at lower dosages...

Anti-depressants like Paxil and Zoloft have been approved to treat anxiety.

Anti-depressants 'can' work for anxiety... so I don't understand someone questioning why you were put on anti-depressants.

Old 11-26-2005, 08:19 AM   #3
    jennica
    (female)

jennica HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bulletinboard25
    Xanax and Klonopin are pretty much top-notch anti-anxiety pills....

A psych I visit rates Xanax as his #1 choice.

I don't think you'll find something "better".

If you want something in the same class of medicines thats less sedating and milder... you might want to inquire about Ativan.... its also a "benzo" anti-anxiety med, that most seem to find less sedating at lower dosages...

Anti-depressants like Paxil and Zoloft have been approved to treat anxiety.

Anti-depressants 'can' work for anxiety... so I don't understand someone questioning why you were put on anti-depressants.
    Thanks for your input! Yeah, the psychiatrist was REALLY shocked about the Effexor. It definitely stressed me out and confused me... But I know he and I are not compatible. I will ask him about Ativan and see what he says. I may switch back to Xanax until finding a new doc.

One off the topic thing, he asked me to spell my last name...it's Polish and long and odd...and so I spelled it...then he said sternly, "There are two K's in your last name???" and I thought about it because he asked like I was crazy...so when I didn't answer right away he almost yelled "I said, ARE THERE TWO T'S IN YOUR LAST NAME?" hahaha.... I was like whoa dude, I'm not crazy, just stressed and you are NOT helping (I didn't say that, but I should have). Turns out the front office spelled my name wrong so he just assumed I was spelling it to him wrong.

Very disturbing.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to the 30th. Maybe I'll talk over him...heehee

Thanks again.

Old 11-28-2005, 12:25 PM   #4
    anna317
    (female)

anna317 HB User

I am taking Ativan at 0.25 to 0.5 doses. It works great. I yawn maybe a couple of times after taking it, but in general it does not affect me other than calmes down my anxiety.
    Today I had elevated blood pressure and I was worried about it. Took Ativan, the blood pressure went back to normal!

Old 11-28-2005, 12:34 PM   #5
    bderozi
    (male)

bderozi HB User

Here's a question....

Why do people take Anti-Depressents (SSRI's) for Anxiety......?

Why not just Benzo's (Ativan, Xanex, etc..) ?

Which is the more serious drug? More harmful drug?

Thanks
    -Brandon

Old 11-28-2005, 02:13 PM   #6
    Vitagen
    (male)

Vitagen HB User

Xanax feels very similare to alcohol, without the mass amounts of liquids. Just a thought. I find Zoloft has been working good for my anxiety. My skitish symptoms don't occur near as much in public, because I move so much smoother now.

Old 11-28-2005, 02:22 PM   #7
    bderozi
    (male)

bderozi HB User

I agree Vitagen,

I also have been on ZOLOFT, for 7 weeks....50mg

I am also less jumpy, shaky......a lot more smooth...able to do more things....

How long have you been on ZOLOFT? What mg?

Thanks
    -Brandon

Old 02-25-2006, 07:40 PM   #8
    t_411
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

t_411 HB Usert_411 HB Usert_411 HB User

Hey Brandon, I take Zoloft for Panic and anxiety disorder. At first it made my anxiety a little worse but I had about 3 panic attacks around the start of the med which is good for me cause I'd have them for 2 hours at a time a couple times a day before I started. Then 2 weeks went by and my panic attacks stopped but my anxiety stayed for about 6 weeks total and got less and less toward the end of that 6 weeks. After about 2 months on it I felt great, could drive again, get out and be social, normal, etc.. After about 4 months I had a very mild panic attack (i'd say bordered between bad anxiety and a mini panic attack) but it turns out that it was the very day before my period and this has been the pattern for me so far except the attacks are very mild now and last for a couple hours the day b4 my period so, I guess it's a woman/hormonal thing.

I have a bad concept of time but I think I've been on zoloft now for close to a year with very good results. I have a normal life again with the exception of a few mild bad days here and there. By the way, the day after I have any alochol drinks (except for beer or wine for some reason) I'll have anxiety for a day or 2. It's been a learning experience through trial and error but now, I know my body, I know what I can do, how far I can push it and so on which is good because I know I am in control of how I feel.

You asked, why ssri's instead of xanax, etc., and I feel the reason is that with ssri's, you are treating the problem and not just medicating it temporarly.
    With SSRI's as time goes by and panic and anxiety fade away, the "fears" begin to fade away and you retrian your neural path ways. A neural pathway is the nerve path between thought and action and is a bunch of nerves that connect to the part of your brain that makes your body react to things. The more you think of something the clearer that neural path becomes which makes it harded to forget, the less you think of something the less you react/compute it.

For example; a neural path is like this.... Let's say there is tall grass between your new summer home and the lake area in back and the only way to get to the lake is to go through the tall grass which you've never been through b4 so, you walk through it and eventualy get there but the path which you walked is still not worn down enough to be a clear path to and from the lake house but after a many trips through the tall grass, the path gets worn down and cleared out more because you've went there again and again so, it's easy to know your way. Our thoughts are the same. The more you think of something, the stronger your "neural path" becomes in connecting the 2 such as panic, anxiety, negative thinking, or anything in life, much like the tall grass. If you stopped making trips to the lake behind the house then the grass would over time, grow tall again and the path would be less clear to you and same is such for your thoughts. I got that from a great book I picked up recently called, "Neural Path Therapy" and there is very clear and exact understanding of this pattern which has very much helped me to understand the whole procces of what's going on between my mind and body. Just knowing exactly how this all works has been a great help for me not to get trapped into "thinking" too much about these things that trigger my bad feelings or just bad/negative thinking in general. It's like a light went off in my head after I read the book. I just wish I had it when all of this started a few years ago so I would not have been so affraid of all the weird and bad feelings my mind and body went through. (i am not connected with anything to do with this book... It just helped me a lot which is why I am mentioning it)

If you'd have asked me a year ago, I'd have convinced you I was going to die any second. But I'm over it now because I understand it all and believe me, I did my research but never got it before I read that book.

With xanax and all benzo's they DO help a lot in making anxiety go away and can often make panic attacks go away but the results are temporary. When the drug fades out of your system, the symptoms often return and this process hurts people because of the mental trauma it puts us through which trains our thoughts (neural paths) to be instantly in a bad place cause the path becomes clearer and clearer over time.

With SSRI's, for most people, it's calms their anxiety, panic, depression, etc., and getting a break from feeling that way eventually for most of us lessens the thought process of worry, when will the next attack come, where are the exits, how will I make it through this or that.... The less we think of these things, the better because those neural paths (like the tall grass I mentioned above) can have a chance to fade away while we get our life back.

Some people may or may not need to be on some form of medication to help them through this for life because it really can be that harmful. This is why SSRI's over Benzo's such as xanax are (or so I feel) a better way to go. Then you have people who metabolize medicines differently. There are a few catagories which every person can fall into one of. You can find out more on that through a search on the net for the words, "DNA Drug Reaction Test". To make it short, some people will have success with ssri's and some wont.
    Benzo's are addictive. From what I read, xanax is the most and if on it regular then you come off suddenly, you can have seizures because it lowers the convulsive thresh hold in your body which is why people must taper off it slowly. I also, read that if you have taken xanax on a regular basis for even 5 days that you should taper off slowly. So, benzo's are way more addictive that SSRI's. BUT, Dr's will say that SSRI's are not addictive. They are wrong. I myself have felt the withdrawl symptoms which can make you manic. You can find more on this subject here on the boards if you do a search for, "SSRI withdrawl". So we must taper off our ssri's slowly as well.

I started zoloft on 12.5 MG because I'm only 105 pounds and then went up slowly over 2 months to 25mg and then after seeing that my anxeity was still slightly there, went up to 50mg daily. I'm comfortable where I'm at and it's been close to a year. This is different for every person because of the whole metabolizing situation due to DNA which is unique and different for every person.

I have my trusty xanax by my side which "comforts me" during my times of trial, travel and so on, though I rarely ever need it (like about 5 or 6 times over the last year) so, for me, I'm very happy I went with the SSRI's down this long road to recovery because it gave me a one pill a day brake away from the state of who I had become and in turn gave ME the chance to fade those things out and retrain my thought process which I didn't even know I was doing till I read that book. It's a nice cap on things because now, I know why it happened, how it happened and I know without effort or much thought what to do if it trys to creep back in even in the most trying of times.
    Good luck to you all, I hope you find peace and a happy life.
    T.

Last edited by ms_mod; 02-25-2006 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Removed quote and broke up into paragraphes to make it easier to read.

Old 07-24-2006, 12:42 PM   #9
    cvoor
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cvoor HB User

Good question, I'd like to know myself...

Old 07-24-2006, 01:19 PM   #10
    Blue00
    (male)

Blue00 HB User

I don't think there is a perfect Anxiety pill.I do think Exercise and Diet is the #1 Remedy for Anxiety, but even so some people still need medication like myself.Im trying Lexapro now and if it helps me 25% I'LL be happy.

Old 07-24-2006, 01:48 PM   #11
    marian100
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

marian100 HB User

i have been taking an anti anxiety drug called buspar. it doesn't sedate you. it starts working on me in 4 days. it is like an antidepressant in that once you're used to it you don't even know you are taking it. except that the anxiety is gone. God bless.

Old 07-24-2006, 02:30 PM   #12
    ms_mod

ms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB User

When replying to a post please be sure the thread is still an active one, this one is not.
    It was started over 8 months ago and hasn't been active in over 5 months.
    If you wish to discuss this topic further please start a new thread, this one is now closed.

Ms_Mod

Closed Thread