It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Xanax Rant!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-26-2005, 12:48 PM   #1
    Punkdizzle
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Punkdizzle HB User
    Xanax Rant!

i am so sick of all the bad things DRs say about xanax and other benzos so what if it is addicting! so what if the junkies abuse it!.. the fact is benzos help alot of people with anxiety and panic.. i dont know why these DRs are so afraid of it.. oh no we cant have this person taking a benzo daily even if it does help them.. sorry but i dont care if i become addicted to it and have to take it daily for the rest of my life... the fact is it works wonders for my anxiety when i need it where nothing else has..

would the DRs take away your heart meds that were keeping you healthy and you had to take daily? no they wouldnt! i think someone screwed up in the medical research community and they need to re-evaluate this type of med and urge DRs to educate their patients on it before ever writing the script. not just slap a scare tactic on everyone because a few people abused it.. or had really bad side effects.. maybe i am out of line saying this, but it seems its getting harder and harder for the people that need a benzo to help with their anxiety to get them.. and its annoying me even though my DR is ok with giving them to me..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2005, 01:29 PM   #2
    Sustasha
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sustasha HB User
    Re: Xanax Rant!

what's more frustrating is that any doctor can write all the scripts he or any of his family members want for it. But they don't like to give their own patients a script!!
    My friend's niece had a husband who killed himself. She went to her doctor and asked for xanax---no deal.
    Oftentimes, the way to get xanax is to NOT MENTION THE DRUG NAME.
    Just give them the symptoms of anxiety. But , then, you're taking a chance you won't get the drug anyway. But if you do mention the name it's highly doubtful you'll get a script for it. They'll be more likely to try to foist off their Buspar samples onto you.
    Only way to be pretty darn sure you'll get it is to hear about a certain doctor from a friend/family member who lucked out. Either that, or fit the "profile" of the non-addictive person which is:
    over 50, calm and dignified looking wearing a rolex. lol

Old 11-26-2005, 05:05 PM   #3
    flintrock
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User

I'm with the docs...Xanax is a horrible drug...the addiction is worse than your anxiety...I promise. there are lots of other meds out there that your doc could prescribe...check into those..........Xanax is badddddddddddddddddddd

Old 11-26-2005, 05:58 PM   #4
    Graciecat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User

Punkdizzle,

I agree with you 100%.

I don't have panic/anxiety problems anymore, but when I did the one and only thing that ever worked for me was Xanax....like you, my Dr. had no problem with me taking it.

When he gave it to me he told me that SOME people do become dependent on it or tolorant to it, but that is simply does not happen to everyone.

I took 1 quarter MG. twice a day, every single day for 7 years and not once in all that time did I ever take some much as a crumb more.
    I never felt it wear off, never felt shakey between doses, it didn't make me feel spaced out, it simply made me feel normal and able to deal with life until I was strong enough to deal with it on my own.

When I no longer had panic/anxiety problems I weaned off with my Dr's help and I didn't have one single problem doing that.

When I first started posting on these boards and I mentioned that I had taken Xanax some people were oh so happy to tell me just how I WAS going to become dependent on it and how I WAS going to have to keep upping my dose and how when I tried to wean off I WAS going to have horrible problems...well not one single one of those things happened to me.

It seems that people who've had a problem with this or any drug are more vocal than the people that were helped by them.

Everyone, Doctor's included, need to understand that while it's true that some people may have a problem with Xanax or any of the Benzo's that not everyone does.

If 10 people took the same drug...no matter what it is...of course there are going to be people who have problems with it...say 5 of those 10 people had a problem should the other 5 then be told that they shouldn't take it either, even though it helps them?
    Of course not.

I have a severe allergy to Codine...if I took it and didn't get to the hospital in time I'd stop breathing, does that mean my Doctor shouldn't prescribe Codine to anyone else?
    Of course not.

Something I've seen written several times on this board...and it's so true..."Just because something wasn't right for you, doesn't mean it's not right for someone else."

I also agree with SusanGene, the worst thing anyone can do is go in asking for a drug by name.

Just my 2 cents

Last edited by Graciecat; 11-26-2005 at 05:59 PM.

Old 11-27-2005, 07:08 AM   #5
    littlen2005
    (female)

littlen2005 HB User

I have very bad anxiety and panic attacks. It is ruining my life and my doc wont prescribe me a benzo, just anti depressants and beta blockers...

I wouldnt mind trying a benzo to see if it helps, but my doc said she does not want me near them as they are "so addictive" and im "so young" (19)

Some docs are just scared I guess. But they should come on these health boards and read everyones successful stories about how benzos keep them sane / normal.

Old 11-27-2005, 07:49 AM   #6
    Punkdizzle
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Punkdizzle HB User

i guess my post was more so because i feel kind of guilty that i had the option of trying a benzo and they work great for me.. where some people never have the option and the drug could very well help them or it could be usless to them but they will never know because their DR wont even let them try 1 pill..

i agree it would be great if DRs would come on these boards and read what people have to say about benzos (good and bad) before they refuse to write scripts for them anymore..

when i first started having panic attacks at age 17 i was put on .5 mg of xanax 5 times a day for a month.. i came off it (no taper) with no side effects or other weird symptoms.. now 11yrs later i am back on the xanax after the anxiety returned .25mg 2 times a day and it keeps me pretty level.. i do now and then have a little anxiety even with the xanax but nothing that bothers me or causes any problems in my daily life... so if i have to take these pills the rest of my life to stay "normal" i will and i really dont see a problem with that.. though some people/DRs may disagree..

Old 11-28-2005, 12:57 AM   #7
    red-rider
    (female)

red-rider HB User

Here is my benzo rant! What kills me is.....every doc will offer ANY ssri and then ADD a benzo to it. That makes me madd. It's like ok-here-take this SSRI that will cause you to slow down-become lethagic-gain weight-lose hair-lose sleep-BUT I will give you a benzo to "cope" with all the crud that the SSRI will cause you~Egads
    If the SSRI could stand alone~it would NOT need the help of a benzo would it? Ativan has helped me lead a normal life,including helping my BP to stay down. I would much rather take my low dose bp pill + low dose Ativan than take 3-4 BP meds that have a load of side effects. I know SSRI's have helped many people~but the benzo's have helped people too~often with little or no side effects AND they have been around for decades. That gives me peace of mind. I am in agreement 100% with the poster here who says Addiction and Dependence are 2 different issues. I will never understand why the medical profession has no fear or reservations handing out Lexapro and all the other newbie's without blinking an eye~but treat Ativan or Valium like it is heroin!
    If a drug works well for someone and they are seeing a doctor regularly for it~then what is the problem. I swear if we could look into the doc's med cabinet~The SSRI's would be marked "candy" and the benzo's would have a "poison" label over them with a skull and cross bones~LOL!
    okay rant over RR

Old 11-30-2005, 02:20 PM   #8
    just breathe 99
    (male)

just breathe 99 HB User

Took xanax for 2 years....I did develop a tolerance but I quit cold turkey when I felt that panic was not an issue for me anymore....and I can't quit smoking to save my life.....so there ya go....

On a side note....I have been off for 2 years but due to some life changes my anxiety is back.....and my new doc refuses to give me a benzo.....serves me right I guess....

Old 12-01-2005, 01:35 PM   #9
    dinney
    Veteran
    (female)

dinney HB User

With interest have read all the posts pro/con regarding zanex. I have been on it for probably 15 yrs. and have NEVER abused/taken more then the prescribed dosage in fact take less then I am allowed to. Am on 0.5mg 2 x a day but normally only take one at bedtime or 1/2 one during the day when/if I start to panic. Yes, people can abuse ANY drug but hopefully most are responsible enough not too. It has saved me many times.

Closed Thread