It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• What is this??...I'm so scared!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-03-2005, 04:12 PM   #1
    LonelyTraveler

LonelyTraveler HB User
    Red face What is this??...I'm so scared!!!

All evening my heart has been beating really fast and then it will miss beats or stop altogether for a few seconds and then start up again. I am soooo scared and not sure if this is considered "palpitations" or some other conditions. It's like this...

"thump...thump...thump...(3-4 second pause)...thump...thump...thump...THUMP.. .THUMP...(another long pause)...thump...th-th-th-THUMP!...pause...thump...thump..."

Well, you get the idea. Anyway, I have had all kinds of heart tests in the past (stress test, blood tests, oxygen levels, thyroid, EKG, holter, etc, etc and everything was normal. I DO suffer from anxiety but I do not really feel anxious at the moment so what is going on here and is this a normal thing that lots of other people go through?. Why is my heart actually stopping for a few seconds?. Man, that is SCARY!!!. I just took a Xanax and an Atenolol and not sure what to do next but I would'nt rule out going to the ER at all the way my heart is going nuts!!!. Please help!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2005, 04:25 PM   #2
    robin_doak
    (male)

robin_doak HB User
    Re: What is this??...I'm so scared!!!

I would get another Heart exam.

Im no Dr, But it sounds like you have an irregular heart Beat. (I think)

I don't mean to worrie you. I also suffer from Anxiety and the Tinest of thing's really scare me. Just to be safe i would go to your Dr, and see what he has to say.

All the best to you LT

Robin

Old 12-03-2005, 07:09 PM   #3
    jennyVee
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jennyVee HB UserjennyVee HB User

hi, i have horrible anxiety and also swear i will have a heart attack, my heart also does all kind of weird thing, aghh its so scary and i am so sick of worrying about having heart attack on a daily basis, especially since I have a thyroid condition hich worsens everything.

anywya get you heart checked to make sure its ok, but its most likely caused by our enemy 'anxiety"

Old 12-04-2005, 04:18 PM   #4
    KingPaulos
    Inactive
    (male)

KingPaulos HB User

Probably Anxiety, luckily for me I don't have skipped beats but I have the lovely, LOVELY chest pains and palpitations when I do physical things or sometimes nothing due to Panic Disorder. You may want to consider a medication, and also make a list of stresses in your life and symptoms and get to the doctor, very important!

Old 12-06-2005, 02:48 PM   #5
    Jazzy Flower
    (female)

Jazzy Flower HB User

I also have heart palpitations where it feels like my heart skips a couple of beats, then beats really hard to make up for it. It will do it at the most random times, even if I'm not having any anxiety. I can just be laying on the sofa watching TV and it will "flutter," as I call it.

If you've already had everything checked out by your doctor, I would assume its just your anxiety and try not to be too worried about it.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-06-2005, 03:13 PM   #6
    Abbjhn
    (female)

Abbjhn HB User

I have thyroid disease, since i was 7. I am 23 now. I was having heart problems like you explained when i was about 15 and went to the cardiologist and was prescribed atenolol. They had that halter thing on me.. ran so many tests i refuse most now.. im not saying its right but i guess i just had it. A doc who was a friend finally detected an arrythmia and also when i was 15 i was diagnosed with tachycardia. Anyways, sometimes it takes tons of tests and time to find out whats wrong. Right now I am struggling to even make sense because I was put on klonopin a year and a half ago. I took 3 mg everyday then decided to stop. BIG MISTAKE. So, im down to 1.5 mg now but have an appt with a neurologist tomorrow because something is very, very wrong. Its hard to swallow, chest feels tight, horrible headache, one pupil is dialated moreso than the other... and does not react to light. Anyways, symptoms go on and on. I am lucky to have a lot of support from my partner. Oh, i forgot, i also have been prescribed adderall for quite a while... im supposed to take 40 mg a day but take 20. Right now, today, i didnt take any since a stimulant would be a bad idea. I feel like ive had a stroke and im 23. My left arm is killing me and is tingling... I hate klonopin, {REMOVED}seems like i could "convince" myself its all in my head. However, sadly its not. Its the freakin pill which is prescribed way too freely in my opinion and experience. I guess im just rambling about my story. However, to those who read this be careful what u take. Research it, if it makes u feel really good at first.. and if it is addictive think about the long term affects.. look at what the drug company has done in regards to the studies on the drug. I feel so out of it right now.. i hope ive made some sense..

Last edited by msmod; 12-06-2005 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Read the posting rules regarding the part of your post that was removed. Ms_Mod

Old 12-06-2005, 03:38 PM   #7
    Darby01
    (female)

Darby01 HB User

I also get heart fluttering. When I'm anxious, it can get real bad. I see a holistic Dr. on a regular basis. He's a chiropracter/kinesiologist. He has helped me a great deal.
    For my anxiety he has me taking a supplement called 5-HTP. I only take one at night and it pretty much keeps me calm throughout the next day.
    For the heart fluttering, he did some research for me and found a product called, Cataplex B. It's made by Standard Process, Inc. and I take 4 a day. Amounts are different for everyone. I started out taking 3 and I still got the heart flutterings - tho not half as bad before the Cataplex B. With taking 4, I might get one tiny flutter every other day or so. But I was getting the fluttering like every 1/2 hour!
    The ingredients in the stuff is: Bovine liver, nutritional yeast, beet root, carrot, dried beet juice, rice bran, defatted wheat germ, bovine adrenal, oat flour, soybean lecithin, mixed tocopherols, ascorbic acid, manganese lactate, inositol, riboflavin, choline bitartrate.
    So, I have NO idea why or how it works but it just does.
    He tried my on a supplement before this and it didn't work.
    I also went to my regular Dr. and they hooked me up to all sorts of machines and never found anything. They just told me I was "normal."
    But they never did anything for me.

Old 12-17-2005, 09:07 PM   #8
    r0cky
    (female)

r0cky HB User

I just wanted to let you know that more people than you realize have these same heart palpitations!

Everyone has "skipped beats" (sometimes even "extra beats") ... the difference is that most people don't even realize it, yet there are many of us who have them and are already anxious in general so we spend more time thinking about our bodies and health problems (whether real or just suspected), and we notice these little things more easily than others might. Then, once we notice them and get nervous about them, we start paying even MORE attention to them and the cycle perpetuates itself and the more we notice the palpitations the more nervous we get and the more nervous we get the more palpitations we have!

What I would say is that you are fine. I am not a doctor, but you said you had a bunch of tests run and all came back normal. What you are experiencing are PVCs (premature ventricle contractions) or PACs (premature atrial contractions) -- otherwise known/felt as "extra" or "skipped" beats. They are palpitations, but are harmless if everything else is normal (structure-wise, etc.), and everyone has them. Some have more palpitations than others, and some definitely notice them more than others, but everyone has them whether they notice or not.

I have a lot of them, but my heart is structurally okay and my valves function just fine and everything has been checked out through various monitors, exams, etc.

That said, I know how scary they can be! It's reassuring if you look around in the heart section of the health boards, you'll see how many other people experience these things and how worrisome they feel in spite of being mostly benign!

Anyway, I hope this helps a little. If you are still really worried, you can always go back to your doctor and get him/her to reassure you more. There ARE medications you can take to lessen the amount of palpitations you have, but the side effects of those medications are sometimes not worth it. The palpitations themselves are harmless in a structurally-normal heart. Bothersome, yes, but harmless if your doctor has checked you out and said everything else is normal.

Most of us just live with them and don't take any meds for it ... but I totally sympathize with the fear that comes along with those episodes and when you first notice them.

You know what else? They also happen more when you're thinking about it! So the best thing to do is to not think too much about it and whatever you do, do NOT start taking your pulse all the time ... I did that at first when I first noticed mine, and gosh, that was a bad habit that took a long time to break, and all it did was make me more paranoid about a problem that wouldn't hurt me (and then that whole cycle of being nervous so the heart palps increased and then that increase causing my anxiety to increase, etc.)

So, hang in there, you'll be fine, but it may definitely make you feel better to check out the heart forums and read up on what I mentioned and see how many other people experience the exact same thing.

Closed Thread