It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Feelings of what i hope is anxiety what i gotta do???????

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-29-2005, 04:02 AM   #1
    Peter0690
    (male)

Peter0690 HB User
    Unhappy Feelings of what i hope is anxiety what i gotta do???????

Hey, for the last month or so ive been having like ms mod has stated on her axiety list... Feeling of surroundings not being real etc. and also things like that just feeling sorta like ive got demesia but i still cant remember the ,day,date,year everything what im doing that day but it just feels like im in my own world... i have good days and bad days some days i will barley feeling it some days BAD like im on another planet... is this related with anxiety and what do i have to do.but i know i gotta take action soon because i am only 1* and i dont want this too rule my life. I usually only get it when im in a DEEP concertration and then come out like playing a video game or watching t.v .i had exsperience this sorta stuff in the past... thinking ive got, HIV,Brain Tumor,Heart condition,Cancer,Bowel Cancer, and the more i think about it my body mimics the symptoms like i read ppl with cancer feel nausea so then i will start feeling like i have nausea you no what i mean? and i also worrya bout germs and stuff and i think its all linked to anxiety but um not sure if the feeling of things not being real and feeling weird like that is.! :S
    Any Help please!

Last edited by msmod; 12-29-2005 at 04:51 AM. Reason: Don't post your age if you're under 17.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2005, 07:10 AM   #2
    tnmomofive
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tnmomofive HB User
    Re: Feelings of what i hope is anxiety what i gotta do???????

hi
    That feeling you get "surroundings not real" is called Derealization.I think most of us have derealization after being in the movie theatre,or staring at tv screen with videos games etc for hours,I know I always have.You also say you worry though and then this causes stomach upset... yes it could be some anxiety going on there.If it was me though at your age I would try just keeping my mind busy stay away from the video games and try to do more outdoor activities,go out with a friend,or friends.If you sit and worry about this it will probably progress and you will develop more symptoms.Please do not worry though those things you have felt are not serious and will not harm you.I have had anxiety disorder for 12 years or more now and the thing that has worked the best for me is keeping busy ...when our minds are busy we dont have as much time to wallow in worry.

Old 12-29-2005, 03:50 PM   #3
    manchak99
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

manchak99 HB User

what does derealization really feel like?

i'm trying to determine if i have anxiety....i have wierd head feelings.....not that the room is spinning but that my vision isn't right...kind of like feeling lightheaded and i really get this when i'm out in public. have had a catscan-clear...in the process of waiting for my blood tests to come back but i tend to get anxious as to when i'm out and that i'll pass out-never do but worry about how i'll feel when i'm out and hwat happens if i get these feelings when i'm out by myself....i usually leave the store as quickly as possible. also, at night, my heart races.

will pills really help with my lightheaded off balance feeling? that's another thing tha tmakes me anxious.....if it does come down to all other tests being clear and it is most likely anxiety.....i'm worried that i'll have to live like this forever and that pills won't work......the worst thing for me is this off feeling....it's been keeping me out of malls and grocery stores for three months now...had to do all my xmas shopping online!

thanks...for listening....starting to feel depressed....

Old 12-29-2005, 04:06 PM   #4
    tnmomofive
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tnmomofive HB User

manchak99.....Derealization means that things around you become strange, unreal, foggy, or detached from you.kind of like you feel as if everything around you is like a movie and you are watching from the outside....often times with derealization I also feel drugged up or drunk.

the things you have decribed sound like anxiety to me,but see what the tests results are first.You can try therapy or medication or both.While it is true for some people anti anxiety meds dont seem to work for most I believe they do work.I have taken several types in the past the SSRI's ive taken were ....Paxil,zoloft,Lexapro all of which worked pretty well for me after about 3 weeks (takes them times to build in our systems).Also I have taken Benzodines........Klonopin,Ativan.....th ese worked well too.The benzo's are fast acting (typicaly 15...20 mins).Therapy I have never got the chance to try,but I know it works very well for alot of anxiety sufferers.

I hope the tests come out good and you get the care you need

Last edited by tnmomofive; 12-29-2005 at 04:07 PM.

Old 12-29-2005, 06:26 PM   #5
    Peter0690
    (male)

Peter0690 HB User

Hmmm Sometimes i get it when im not really thinking about it though, that god its a normal thing. i will try keeping my mind busy but if that dosnt work are there pills that will stop it?
    Thanks alot for your help!

Old 12-29-2005, 10:22 PM   #6
    tnmomofive
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tnmomofive HB User

yes there are anti anxiety meds like SSRI's and benzodines .......if keeping busy doesnt help talk to your doctor about meds.

Old 12-30-2005, 11:01 AM   #7
    Jonev11
    (male)

Jonev11 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Peterfrank
    Hmmm Sometimes i get it when im not really thinking about it though, that god its a normal thing. i will try keeping my mind busy but if that dosnt work are there pills that will stop it?
    Thanks alot for your help!

There is no magic pill that will take anxiety away completely, (on a side note if anybody has a magic pill that will do this let me know ).

But in all seriousness the best way we have to treat anxiety is a combination of therapy, changing your lifestyle and for some people medications preferably all 3. All of them take time to see benefits.

Old 12-31-2005, 08:22 PM   #8
    Peter0690
    (male)

Peter0690 HB User

Well thanks for your advice... im gonna try not playing any games and keeping watching t.v and going on the computer to a minimum and i will get back to use after a few weeks and see what happens i dunno though if it will work but oh well i will try.
    thanks,

Old 01-04-2006, 10:51 AM   #9
    satur9poet
    (female)

satur9poet HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tnmomofive
    manchak99.....Derealization means that things around you become strange, unreal, foggy, or detached from you.kind of like you feel as if everything around you is like a movie and you are watching from the outside....often times with derealization I also feel drugged up or drunk.

the things you have decribed sound like anxiety to me,but see what the tests results are first.You can try therapy or medication or both.While it is true for some people anti anxiety meds dont seem to work for most I believe they do work.I have taken several types in the past the SSRI's ive taken were ....Paxil,zoloft,Lexapro all of which worked pretty well for me after about 3 weeks (takes them times to build in our systems).Also I have taken Benzodines........Klonopin,Ativan.....th ese worked well too.The benzo's are fast acting (typicaly 15...20 mins).Therapy I have never got the chance to try,but I know it works very well for alot of anxiety sufferers.

I hope the tests come out good and you get the care you need
    Wow! I'm so glad I'm not the only one with this condition, whatever it is! I can identify myself 100% with these feelings of dizzines, imbalance, lightheadedness, fuzzy vision and feeling totally disconnected and "drunk". I never knew such a thing as "Derealization" existed. I'm glad I FINALLY found a term that describes what I feel on a daily basis.

I've been reading some of manchak's posts and I have been experiencing the exact same symptoms ever since I had a sinus infection in late Oct/early Nov. The weird feelings started during the beginning of the infection and while it seems to've cleared up, I still feel crappy and disoriented. It causes me a lot of anxiety, something I already have a problem with as it is! I've posted my problem in several threads, thinking it could be anything from sinus probs. to hormone imbalances, to brain tumors. I'm going to do some research into this Derealization phenomenon.

Old 01-04-2006, 12:18 PM   #10
    manchak99
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

manchak99 HB User

hi....it's so wierd to hear that someone else has the SAME issue I do....and even started the same month!

Well, got my bloodtest results back today...finally.......all is fine..no issue with thyroid (doc thought it could be the cause) and now he's finally willing to think/believe it's anxiety.

Going to start on Zoloft and Atavan. Have to take both ......hope it works! Want myself back to normal!!!!

Old 01-04-2006, 02:52 PM   #11
    stillhopefull
    (female)

stillhopefull HB User

Do you also get the vertigo feeling from the anxiety???????? anyone??

Old 01-05-2006, 09:15 AM   #12
    manchak99
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

manchak99 HB User

when you say vertigo....not really off balance but things just don't feel right.....i feel off and i feel like my vision isn't right....sometimes i do feel like the room is warped...not spinning but warped....and then the anxiety really kicks in......my temp goes up, i start sweating and start getting shaky......

Old 01-05-2006, 10:30 AM   #13
    manchak99
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

manchak99 HB User

on my other thread...since i was officially diagnosed with anxiety just yesterday....said that it could be an inner ear disorder......now i wonder if that's my problem...and how does an ENT tell if i have one.....just want the correct diagnosis....

Old 01-10-2006, 10:36 AM   #14
    SteveGn
    (male)

SteveGn HB User

I don't know if all states of derealization can be put in the same category. Some may be experiencing an episode of dizziness which could bring about disorientation and thus feelings of derealization. I know for a fact that derealization (wrong terminology, in the following example) occurs in many such as myself after having been in a concentrated state for a given length of time. I now cherish it!!! Why? Because I've learned what it is and as a result I don't resist it. This "not resisting" is crucial or the experience will have a negative feel to it. In these situations, we've actually entered a higher state of consciousness such as what experienced meditators experience as a result of the level of concentration we obtained at that moment. In meditation, the idea is to concentrate and move to these higher states. I've read many meditation and other spiritual books and if you can see these states for what they are, and not resist them (which only creates anxiety and disorientation), then you will actually relish them because they are actually a very real and integral part of your spiritual being - you WANT to move to higher and higher states as your life progresses and this is what meditators and others on the spiritual path strive for every day and pay thousands of dollars for (retreats, etc..) They would envy Peterfrank's ability to concentrate and achieve this higher state of being. A higher state of consciousness is actually one in which you're not experiencing so much of yourself....your detached from all the drama and me-1st type thinking which brings about fears, anxiety, etc.. Try to find somone who teaches meditation, and has been doing it for years, and they will tell you the same thing.

Peterfrank, I don't know specifically your situation or any other members, thus I don't want to play doctor here, but give "not resisting" a try and remember that this state - that some call - "derealization" is actually welcomed by millions including myself. When you don't resist, the negatives go away and you can actually enter a very CALM and CONTROLLED state in which you're actually functioning at a higher, more aware level. I know of a top poker player and a world chess champion who also relish these higher states. The chess champion (Karpov) said in his book that if his concentration level gets high enough during a chess match that he can enter a state where, in his words, "there is no such thing as a wrong move." He sees everything extremely clear and all distractions fall away completely.

By the way, during a panic attack, the adrenaline is actually trying to prepare us to move to a more controlled, higher functioning state of consciousness, both physical and mental, in order to more effectively fight the charging bear, or take flight from it. (fight or flight response). Of course, there is no charging bear and we're left with the frightening symptoms (I've been there many many times) which includes the very frightening derealization....but frightening only if we don't understand that the adrenaline and other processes are simply trying to take us to a higher functioning level or state of consciousness. If a person can see this derealization for what it is, then some, if not a lot or all, of there anticipatory anxiety toward a panic attack can lessen to a degree that they no longer fear one and thus don't have them anymore. That seems to be the case with me so far. The derealization was the scariest part for me, but I don't fear it at all now. Hope this helps and my very best to all of you. Steve

Last edited by SteveGn; 01-10-2006 at 08:16 PM.

Closed Thread