It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Anyone get a return of anxiety the day after drinking alcohol?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-02-2006, 12:39 AM   #1
    t_411
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

t_411 HB Usert_411 HB Usert_411 HB User
    Anyone get a return of anxiety the day after drinking alcohol?

Hi, I went out last night for a new years party and had about 4 martini's.
    I am on zoloft 50mg for panic attacks and anxiety. The meds have been working great at getting rid of all my panic attacks but once in a blue moon the anxiety creeps back in (mostly right before my period) for a few hours and it sucks because it brings back the "worry" of having a panic attack which makes my anxiety worse.
    Anyway, I noticed that it seems the day after I have alcohol (not beer or wine - just harder stuff) that I have a lot of anxiety. Does this happen to any of you? Does anyone know if there's a reason for this such as dehydration, or something else that's depleted from your body after drinking?
    I don't drink much, maybe once every few months or so and this always happens. I made sure to drink extra water yesterday and today. Should I take something extra, like B12 or what?
    I'd like to be able to drink once in a while and not have to go through this the day after.
    Thanks!
    T.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2006, 02:31 AM   #2
    Kelen
    (female)

Kelen HB User
    Re: Anyone get a return of anxiety the day after drinking alcohol?

I've wondered this as well, as three out of the last four times I've been drinking large amounts the next day I have symptoms similar to that of a panic attacks throughout the next day - sometimes I'll almost be fine and the next minute I fell like I could fall over I feel so awful. In all, I've only experienced the racing heart, light headedness, shortness of breath, etc. four times in total (the forth was the day my menstrual cycle started)... so I'm at a lose if it involves something like dehydration (which is odd as I've never had this sort of problems drinking in all the years), anemia, or panic attacks... or maybe all three combined... or maybe something totally different all together. I'm planning to see a doctor if/when the symptoms arise again... I imagine someone will have an answer for you long before then, but even if they do, I'll still throw in some information later on if I find anything out Sorry I can't be of more help, I just thought I'd let you know I've had a similar problem recently.

Old 01-02-2006, 12:40 PM   #3
    t_411
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

t_411 HB Usert_411 HB Usert_411 HB User

Thanks for your reply!
    Yes, I do believe that right before you have your period because of the stress it brings on that it causes more anxiety. I almost always have anxiety a day or two right before my period every month but it's not as bad as it was yesterday after the whole drinking thing. I'm going to search around and try to find some info on the net too besides what I find out here from the members about it. It has to be something though. There must be a logical reason for it such as alcohol depleting something in the body. I've heard that drinking lowers the potassium in the body a lot and you should eat a banana or prunes before and after you drink to help with that. I didn't eat any of those this time though because I didn't think of it. But then again, I have no idea if low potassium could have anything to do with anxiety?
    I hope someone here knows something more about why this happens after drinking.
    Thanks all!
    T.

Old 01-03-2006, 06:43 AM   #4
    digizen64

digizen64 HB User

Heavy drinking does a number on your system. It depletes your body of B vitamins, elecrolytes like potassium, magnesium as well as dehydrating you. All of this can lead to irritability the next day and if you suffer from any form of anxiety or panic disorder you are in greater likelihood to suffer an attack. It can also lead to a reaction referred to as holiday heart. I personally take a mega B multivitamin and an aspirin before going to bed after drinking (unfortunately, I don't always remember to take it). Eating a lot of carbs and staying away from caffeine is one way to prevent an attack the next day as well. Drink some OJ, take a calming purgative like peppermint tea, drinks LOTS of water and eat some mashed potatoes and you should be okay.

Closed Thread