It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• What does dissociation feel like?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-05-2006, 09:04 AM   #1
    mjewell
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User
    What does dissociation feel like?

I know a lot of people with panic and anxiety experience dissociation but I don't think this has ever happened to me. I had a weird experience this morning though and I'm wondering if that's what it was.

I had these weird dreams that I was in a dentist ofice and I was wondering if they drugged me because I couldn't remember anything, my head was foggy, and i felt all weird and sort of out of control of my body. When I woke up, that feeling stayed with me for a couple hours. I also have a migraine which might have something to do with it. But, i just felt sort of drugged and foggy, and like I was in a dream...has anyone ever experienced this? Is this dissociation?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2006, 11:42 AM   #2
    americandancer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

americandancer HB User
    Re: What does dissociation feel like?

I believe I have had dissociation before, and yes, it's that foggy, unreal feeling. Like you're watching something happen. I usually only experience this when I am right in the middle of a bad panic attack. Has your anxiety been worse lately? I'm back on the lexapro again, and I just don't know. I think it's great, but maybe doesn't last very long, before it "poops" out. Can you remember if the effexor helped "us" at all? I remember we were both trying it, and quit rather quickly. I wonder if I need to try it again.

Old 01-05-2006, 01:28 PM   #3
    mjewell
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi kelly -

That's what was weird, is that i wasn't having a panic attack, so maybe it was from the migraine.

Anyway, I think you are right about the Lexapro pooping out. I definitely still think it works, as day to day I am still quite a bit better than I used to be, but I am disappointed that I still have to take Xanax somewhat frequently.

I don't think i was on Effexor long enough, but as I recall it did seem to help the first few weeks. Of course, every time I take something new it always seems to work the first few weeks...maybe it is just a placebo effect.

I think i am going to try to stick with lexapro for a year. I think a lot of my problem now is mental...I am anxious that I will get anxious, so I take Xanax more out of fear of fear than actual panic. I need to be tough and work through those situations. I probably need to go back to therapy, but I'm still not convinced it really helps.

As for my anxiety lately, I don't think I am more anxious but I know I am depressed, which is weird since Lexapro is an anti-depressant. It might be seasonal though too...I just seem to not have any motivation to do anything...it's like I just don't care...I have no interest in anything.

Old 01-05-2006, 01:54 PM   #4
    lindsalou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lindsalou HB User

hi mjewel,
    I get what you descibe sometimes, but generally when im over tired. I can wake up with 'the fog', and actually remember dreaming and wonder if it was a dream or was it something i experianced - its a bit freaky.
    When this happens, i cant focus, everything around me feels surreal, the only way to describe it is like de-ja-vou.
    I can be having a conversation and the person im talking to looks to me as an image rather than being real.
    Does that make any sense to you?
    Linds

Old 01-05-2006, 02:19 PM   #5
    mjewell
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yeah, it was kind of like that...it sure is hard to explain isn't it?

Old 01-05-2006, 02:46 PM   #6
    Bell99
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bell99 HB User

I use to get this real bad in the midst of a attack. I remember being in stores and seeing people talking to me and just praying they would go away. I could not hear nor speak to them. Some times I would get buzzing and ringing in my ears while this was going on too. It was so scary. You feel like you are out of your body not connected at all. I get scared just typing about it.
    I have been on Lexapro for 9 months and had not had one episode since Knock of wood.

Old 01-05-2006, 03:33 PM   #7
    stillhopefull
    (female)

stillhopefull HB User

Good to hear that you are doing very well!!

I was just perscribed Lexapro.. did you have any problems with it,, in the beginning? I am also on Ativan. was also wondering what physical symptoms you had that made you get on the meds..
    I also have fears that I am dying of brain tumor or cancer.. does it help with those fears as well

Old 01-05-2006, 03:35 PM   #8
    MissAngela
    Veteran
    (female)

MissAngela HB User

Is it dangerous? Can it progress to anything further?

Thanks
    Angela

Old 01-05-2006, 03:41 PM   #9
    Bell99
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bell99 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by stillhopefull
    Good to hear that you are doing very well!!

I was just perscribed Lexapro.. did you have any problems with it,, in the beginning? I am also on Ativan. was also wondering what physical symptoms you had that made you get on the meds..
    I also have fears that I am dying of brain tumor or cancer.. does it help with those fears as well
    Well I had to start small. I am super sensitive to meds. I took 5mg for two weeks then ten now I take 20. Back when I was taking 5 I remember thinking I can't imagine taking more.
    for me I had and still have to take it in the am. I sleep like a rock now.
    At first it did mess with my sleep and my tummy felt kind of sick some times.
    I also felt like I was crawling out of my own skin. I wanted to quit so bad but someone on here told to hang on and ride it out.
    Thank God I did It has changed my life totally.

Angela. I don't think it's harmful per se but I have passsed out during this which is very scary.

Old 01-05-2006, 03:44 PM   #10
    MissAngela
    Veteran
    (female)

MissAngela HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bell99
    Well I had to start small. I am super sensitive to meds. I took 5mg for two weeks then ten now I take 20. Back when I was taking 5 I remember thinking I can't imagine taking more.
    for me I had and still have to take it in the am. I sleep like a rock now.
    At first it did mess with my sleep and my tummy felt kind of sick some times.
    I also felt like I was crawling out of my own skin. I wanted to quit so bad but someone on here told to hang on and ride it out.
    Thank God I did It has changed my life totally.

Angela. I don't think it's harmful per se but I have passsed out during this which is very scary.

So it cannot progess to a more serious mental illness? That is what of my greatest fears. I don't want to develop schizophrenia.

Thanks
    Angela

Old 01-05-2006, 04:28 PM   #11
    Bell99
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bell99 HB User

Angela are you talking about dissociation or GAD?

Old 01-05-2006, 04:38 PM   #12
    stillhopefull
    (female)

stillhopefull HB User

bell..
    did you ever experience physical symptoms from anxiety and panic? Liike vertigo ,,, weakness mucsles and mucsle ackes?? the lists go on and on/./ but those two are the ones that bothers me the most!!

Old 01-05-2006, 05:06 PM   #13
    MissAngela
    Veteran
    (female)

MissAngela HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bell99
    Angela are you talking about dissociation or GAD?

dissociation

-Angela

Old 01-05-2006, 05:33 PM   #14
    Bell99
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bell99 HB User

Physical symptoms with the panic and anxiety were rapid heart rate, stomach cramps, faint feeling ie dissociation ringing in the ears. Some times I felt like I was going to lose control of my bowels which was not fun.
    I had a terrible attack back in April which was the breaking point for me when I got on the Lexapro. It took two days to feel normal. I cried for 6 hours and felt drained beyond belief.

Angela I don't think it leads to anything you need to worry about. Have you talked to your Dr. about it?

Old 01-05-2006, 06:29 PM   #15
    americandancer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

americandancer HB User

I think I'm going to stick with the lexapro for longer myself. I think some anxiety for now is normal, what with the holidays just being over and things getting back to normal. I also tend to reach for a xanax to get rid of the anxiety instead of trying to work through it. But I'm not really scared to take the xanax, as long as what I am now taking works. If I have to keep going up, then I will freak out! I don't have to take it everyday, since the lexapro. You know, mjewell, sometimes I feel depressed just because anxiety and panic are just so depressing for me anyway. Hope you feel better soon. I would think you could have a dissociation feeling from having a migraine, especially since you weren't having a panic attack.

Bell, have you always been on 20mg? If not, how long did you get by with the 10? Any weight gain?

Last edited by americandancer; 01-05-2006 at 06:35 PM.

Closed Thread