It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Ativan For Sleep?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-10-2006, 05:30 AM   #1
    ZoloftMan
    (male)

ZoloftMan HB User
    Post Ativan For Sleep?

Hi there,

I quit my job back in October due to stress, did not take a leave because I just couldn't go back to the situation.

I was excited about quiting but then got a sinus infection (took Doc. 4 weeks to make proper diagnosis) and everything just loaded on me, had to finally deal with it. Not sleeping much at all since mid-Oct.

I had be taking an anti-depressant and buspar for GAD for 10 years and could not understand why I got depressed. Doctor added Welbutrin XL, which did not agree with my body. I had also stopped buspar because I thought it was making me so tired, even though I had taken it for 10 years. I think that lack of sleep due to the sinus episode made the situation worse.

Since that time, I have tried Sonata, Lunesta, and others sleep meds. to help me sleep. I have been on Restoril for a month and still can't sleep much or I wake up early and start to worry.

Well, I decided to try Ativan (.5mg last night) that my doc. gave me back in November and I never took one. I was able to sleep better last night, awoke once but was able to get back to sleep until 6 or 6:30. This have not happened in a while.

I took ativan 10 years ago and it helped me. I weaned myself off after I got better. I know that it is supposed to be addictive but my body needs sleep to repair itself.

Does any else agree? Anyone else use Ativan?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2006, 11:49 AM   #2
    tina76
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tina76 HB User
    Re: Ativan For Sleep?

I use it occasionally for sleep... It is prescribed for when I am having extreme anxiety but I use it for both as needed. 1mg. I guess whether or not it is good for you to take would depend on how often you plan on using it? If you are going to take it EVERY nigth to help you sleep it is probably not the best idea given it can be addicting and your tolerance would go up and up over time. Not a great long-term choice. But if you are just goign to use it here and there as you try to get back on a sleep schedule it might not be too bad... You probably wnat to ask your DR about it...

Old 01-10-2006, 01:55 PM   #3
    pleasantville
    (female)

pleasantville HB User

i agree with tina 100%. that's how i got terribly addicted to ativan. i started at a low dose for anxiety and insomnia as needed and before you knew it i was taking 3-4mgs a day. i became so sick and toxic that i am now tapering off it using valium as i cannot tolerate klonopin. once dependent or addicted, it is one of the worst meds to try to come off of. if you take it every day, you WILL become dependent and eventually need more and more to achieve the same relief. i would RUN not walk away from this med unless you want to experience hell.

p

Old 01-10-2006, 02:01 PM   #4
    nuttyprof.
    (male)

nuttyprof. HB User

Zoloftman,

Don't worry about addiction. Take the medication as prescribed and you will be fine. I've been taking 1mg of Xanax every night and it helps me sleep. There is a big difference between addiction and medical dependence. You will get addicted if you use it irresponsibly. You're doctor knows how to wean you off the medication. That's what he's getting paid for.

Old 01-10-2006, 08:36 PM   #5
    stillhopefull
    (female)

stillhopefull HB User

wow Pleasantville just kind of scared me!!
    I have been taking ativan now for 1.5 weeks 2 times a day. .25 in the am and .25 in the pm. The xanax didn't agree with me. But the ativan has helped me TREMENDOUSLY. I can actually function and I can actually sleep, and when the time comes,,,, when me and my doc feels like its time, I will wean off of it I guess. Like nuttyprof said, take it as perscribed and don't misuse it and I am sure you will be fine!!! Good luck to you

Jen

Old 01-10-2006, 10:47 PM   #6
    pleasantville
    (female)

pleasantville HB User

dear jen
    i'm sorry if i scared you. i took ativan for 8 years and it also helped me a great deal but just wanted to warn people weaning off it is one of the worst experiences they will ever go through. it is not just me, but millions of people are hooked on benzos who were never warned by their drs. that they were extremely addictive. just go to any benzo withdrawal site on the web and read first hand what some of these people are going through and what i am now going through. most drs. are clueless about this so just be careful how much trust you put in them.

p

Old 01-11-2006, 04:59 AM   #7
    stillhopefull
    (female)

stillhopefull HB User

plesantville..
    Don't worry about it, it doesn't take much to scare me..lol..
    I was just really concerned about taking medications in the first place.. and I talked to my doc about getting addicted and if it was safe. I just don't think that right now in my life I could make it without them. Maybe someday I will have this all under control enough to not need meds anymore huh

And I am terribly sorry for what you are going through,, I would imagine you were taking them for anxiety and or panic, and to add withdrawal and addiction to that MUST be hell!! Good luck, I will be praying for you...

Jen

Old 01-11-2006, 06:48 AM   #8
    JEDDD5
    (female)

JEDDD5 HB User

Hello! I was given Ativan for my anxiety and panic attacks. .5mg every 8 hours or as needed is what my rx says. This was in May. I am now addicted to this powerful drug. I've begun the weaning off process and it is not fun!!! I took the drug as prescribed and it still got a hold of me. Be very careful and good luck!!!

Old 01-11-2006, 08:35 AM   #9
    nuttyprof.
    (male)

nuttyprof. HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JEDDD5
    Hello! I was given Ativan for my anxiety and panic attacks. .5mg every 8 hours or as needed is what my rx says. This was in May. I am now addicted to this powerful drug. I've begun the weaning off process and it is not fun!!! I took the drug as prescribed and it still got a hold of me. Be very careful and good luck!!!
    It might not be so much withdrawal. It could also be your condition. 1mg or 1.5 mg a day is a very low dosage.

Last edited by nuttyprof.; 01-11-2006 at 08:37 AM.

Old 01-11-2006, 01:34 PM   #10
    pleasantville
    (female)

pleasantville HB User

i beg to differ
    ANY benzo taken continuously for more than 1 month (even what you deem a low dose) will cause dependency. it even warns about this in any info. they are supposed to be used for a short time or on an an "as needed basis" only. don't get me wrong, ativan worked wonders for my panic attacks and anxiety. the only trouble is i was anxious 24/7. after eight years at different dose, you will become tolerant and in my case sick. ativan is a very potent drug and i had to switch from 3 mgs ativan to 30mgs valium just to start my taper and cover the interdose withdrawal symptoms. in 4 months, i am down to 7mgs valium and don't wish this on my worst enemy.

p

Old 01-11-2006, 02:00 PM   #11
    msmod

msmod HB Usermsmod HB Usermsmod HB Usermsmod HB Usermsmod HB Usermsmod HB Usermsmod HB Usermsmod HB Usermsmod HB Usermsmod HB Usermsmod HB User

Agree to disagree state your OPINION once and move on.
    Don't argue with other members because their OPINION differs from yours.

Because someone became dependent on a certain medication in no way shape or form means that EVERYONE will.
    It also follows that if you took it and didn't become dependent that does not mean that NOBODY else could.

Nobody can tell someone else how they will react to any medication.
    Everyone reacts differently.

Nobody here is an expert.

Last edited by msmod; 01-11-2006 at 02:03 PM.

Old 01-11-2006, 03:54 PM   #12
    nuttyprof.
    (male)

nuttyprof. HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pleasantville
    i beg to differ
    ANY benzo taken continuously for more than 1 month (even what you deem a low dose) will cause dependency. it even warns about this in any info. they are supposed to be used for a short time or on an an "as needed basis" only. don't get me wrong, ativan worked wonders for my panic attacks and anxiety. the only trouble is i was anxious 24/7. after eight years at different dose, you will become tolerant and in my case sick. ativan is a very potent drug and i had to switch from 3 mgs ativan to 30mgs valium just to start my taper and cover the interdose withdrawal symptoms. in 4 months, i am down to 7mgs valium and don't wish this on my worst enemy.

p
    Sorry to hear about your problems with benzo withdrawal. I had a big problem with getting off benzos too (actually twice in my life). I wasnt listening to my doctors orders though on both occasions (I'm not saying you didnt). I know the withdrawal hell someone can go through with benzos. I'm not saying Jedd didn't experience withdrawal symtoms. I said it might be more of his anxiety disorder. I was just leaving it open for him/her to think about. I just don't want people to be really scared of taking a med that can help them thats all.

take care and good luck

Old 01-12-2006, 11:44 AM   #13
    tucker73
    (male)

tucker73 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pleasantville
    dear jen
    i'm sorry if i scared you. i took ativan for 8 years and it also helped me a great deal but just wanted to warn people weaning off it is one of the worst experiences they will ever go through. it is not just me, but millions of people are hooked on benzos who were never warned by their drs. that they were extremely addictive. just go to any benzo withdrawal site on the web and read first hand what some of these people are going through and what i am now going through. most drs. are clueless about this so just be careful how much trust you put in them.

p
    I agree wholeheartedly!!! I've been taking Ativan for 25 years at the advice of a FORMER doctor. I'm trying to get off it now and it's HELL!!!

Old 01-13-2006, 01:18 PM   #14
    msmona
    (female)

msmona HB User

I just thought I would visit this board, I also use the back board also for my back problems and I just came upon this post or posts about ativan, Let me share my experience with this medicine. I ended up in a hospital in 1990 with severe panic attacks, anxiety, stress and they tried me on all kinds of pills. That was a nightmare because I was falling asleep on xana while I was driving and my work suffered due to that med. The doctor gave me ativan 3-4 times a day 1mg. Well I have also tried to get off this meds and had hard time. I also take other meds too but I would love to get off of this one, but have been on it so long that its scary/ In working with a counselor now he dosent believe the stuff is working on me now, but I beg to differ with him because without it I would get worse. TrUE anxiety comes and goes with life stresses and I do believe it starts in our childhood. I am 48 years old now and I have had panic attacks in remission in other words not as bad as to end me up in a hospital bed, After much, much, reading and dealing with it I have managed to get by some days are really bad, but like someone said on here if it happens at a place or time and you again go into that situation it seems like it flares it up and there is so much truth to that. I have seen it with myself. I dont know if there will ever be a cure for it but I will say this if you can learn to stop the thoughts, the FEAR of having one and not fight it you have conquered a big step, because believe it or not the fear of having another one and then experiencing the feelings that go along with it is the worst thing to go through. On working on not fighting all those sympstons and letting the body deal with the anxiety (trust me this is big work you have to do) your symptoms will not be as strong, think about the next time it happens to you and instead of the fear of all the symptoms and effects you are having try letting the body and the mind not fight it off because you are actually making it worse, and work on that and see if it helps. It will go away you h ave to keep telling yourself it will go away, and remember it is anxiety not a life threatening situation. I take deep breaths and do that and it helps to calm it down. I do beg to differ that some docs may say it is chemical imbalance maybe true maybe not so true, I think it is a bodys reaction to alot of stimuli whether it stress, excitement, sadness, whatever emotion you are having at the time, just try to calm those thoughts and remember it will go away and I think with myself by not fighting it and HATING it has helped me get a grip of it so it dosent get a grip on me. Those feelings are so intense and dont let anyone tell you any different, only a person who has anxiety problems truly know what I am saying. As I am not a doctor I am just a women and I have learned alot about this and many years of counseling for it. If I could throw away the ativan and live my life the way I want to that would be a great thing, but right now with all the stressors going on this would not be a time for me to exit this medicine as much as I hate to continue taking it. Putting it this way some people take medicine for diabetes, heart etc anxiety is a real health problem and if you have to take meds the rest of your life for it and your doctor says so then just do what you think is right. AND REMEMBER EVERYONE IS DIFFEERENT!!!!!! This is my only opinion and every body is different in his or her way, just try to enjoy your life the best you can and stay away from as much negative as you can (THAT helps) even though we are surrounded by news media, horror images and stories of things that go on in the real world nowadays and we have no control over, but we do have control over our thoughts and our bodies, no one can take that away from us, no pill, no doctor, no nothing. Stay strong to yourself and if you need medicine take it and learn about your situation its the best thing you can do for yourself and others, I hope I dont sound like I am preaching but I just really got into this post so write to me if you like I would love to hear from all of you. And remember try to not fight it and try liking it and see how well you can handle it that way IT is work but with persistence it may do wonders for you.........................will check in with you all later and remember your a survivor!! We all are.
    MsMona

MsMona

Old 01-13-2006, 01:29 PM   #15
    msmona
    (female)

msmona HB User

One more thought I have to fix here in my previous post I dont mean you have to like the anxiety but try not hating it and fighting it to see if it will help. I wanted to clarify that statement I made so not to offend anyone, because no one likes anxiety!! Peace to you all.

Closed Thread