It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Breathing "trouble"/breath catching

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-22-2006, 10:16 PM   #1
    MmeMulot
    (female)

MmeMulot HB User
    Question Breathing "trouble"/breath catching

Does anybody else feel like their breath "catches" in their throat? It's hard to describe. It's not exactly like a lump in my throat, and it's not like I feel like I can't breathe. It's like my breach "catches" on something in my throat and doesn't go up or down right. It's moreso on exhaling than inhaling. It's like I feel like my breath gets stuck somewhere in my throat, and I have to cough a little bit to exhale all the way. It's not a chest cough, more like an itchy throat cough.

If I really focus and do calm, deep breaths, it seems to be fine, although my throat feels tickly or scratchy a lot.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2006, 10:15 AM   #2
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
    Re: Breathing "trouble"/breath catching

get doc to check out your throat also get checked for asthma

Old 01-23-2006, 02:03 PM   #3
    MmeMulot
    (female)

MmeMulot HB User

I mentioned it to my doctor before, and she checked my lungs and said they sounded fine.

Old 01-24-2006, 11:22 AM   #4
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

assuming doc also checked your throat then the next step might be to try a fairly high dose of valiumn or similar for 2 weeks to see if this stops the problem, if it does thus suggests anxiety and stress is the problem

Old 01-24-2006, 12:52 PM   #5
    anxiouslady
    (female)

anxiouslady HB User

Hi MmeMulot,
    Just to let you know that I've gone through that too. Its a freaky kind of feeling just like you said - not that you are having trouble breathing and not that you have a lump in your throat. My therapist told me that it is related to anxiety and sure enough, I realized it was only happening when I was feeling anxious. If i'm nice and calm/relaxed, it doesn't feel that way.
    Another thing that could not be helping it is dry air. I'm not sure where you're at but I'm in Chicago and with the cold weather and the heat on, the air is very dry in the house. I started using a humidifier and it helps too.
    Take care,
    anxiouslady

Old 01-24-2006, 01:02 PM   #6
    MmeMulot
    (female)

MmeMulot HB User
    Smile Re: Breathing "trouble"/breath catching

Thanks, anxiouslady! It helps to know someone else has experienced it related to anxiety. It just didn't seem to fit with other descriptions of breathing issues that I've read on here of people having.

Old 01-24-2006, 02:11 PM   #7
    alefever26
    (female)

alefever26 HB User

wow. i have exactly that feeling. i have never been able to explain it.. i go for months without it, then i'll have it every day for a week or so. like right now. i also have heart palps and so i always worry they are related. i have had millions of heart tests and been to the doc alot. it almost feels like little gasps, or like that feeling when you cry.. i dont know.. anyway,, you are totally not alone!! do you ever wake up at night gasping.. like on big gasp?/ i do. like i said, i will go months without that feeling and then it just comes back.

Old 01-24-2006, 05:16 PM   #8
    MmeMulot
    (female)

MmeMulot HB User

alefever26, thanks for the reply! It doesn't seem to bother me when I'm distracted, but when I'm thinking about it or concentrating on my anxiety, that's when it is worst.

I've woken up a time or two with a big gasp, though it was more like I was having a nightmare and was trying to scream, but in my dream I couldn't, so I was gasping and screaming when I jolted away. That doesn't sound like the same thing, though.

Old 01-26-2006, 02:58 AM   #9
    Triple777
    (female)

Triple777 HB User

I've had breathing problems (or what feels like it) for about a year and a half now. Often it feels like there's a lump in my throat, and pressure. Also, my throat and chest get really tight. Sometimes I don't feel any of that, but just feel like I can't get enough air. However, when I hyperventilate (on purpose), I get dizzy, so I know I am getting plenty, it's just the weirdest feeling. I also have a blood ox tester that is my mother's and the numbers are excellent, so I know I am getting oxygen. To find out if it was anxiety related, I took 1mg of Xanax 3 times a day. Although I was very sleeping from it, the breathing symptoms weren't there. So there ya go. I also had a doctor listen to my lungs and he said I had no lung problems. This just happened to me overnight. I am 43 and until I was 42, I never had any symptom even remotely like that, and it is very scary and unsettling. I think pressure builds up in your body from it being stressed so much, and so exercise and distractions help. I need to take my own advice, but both my parents are very ill and I have them at home and have little time to take care of myself. But, on the few days I can get out, I feel much better and don't have all these weird symptoms.

Old 01-27-2006, 07:50 PM   #10
    Jennsie

Jennsie HB User

Wow, I never really knew how to explain this symptom either. Like I'm not getting enough air.....but I am...like I can't take a deep breath....but I can....it gets worse when I am focusing on it and isn't there when I am distracted. I just started .25 xanax 3x a day and zoloft, so maybe that will start helping at some point. A very strange and unsettling/undescribable thing. It's so weird, like you can't breathe, but you are breathing fine. this resonate with anyone else?

Old 01-27-2006, 09:20 PM   #11
    MmeMulot
    (female)

MmeMulot HB User

It seems like breathing issues are pretty common among us anxiety sufferers, but everybody's are just a little bit different.

Closed Thread