It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Prozac or Zoloft?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-26-2006, 09:32 PM   #1
    turtlebug
    (female)

turtlebug HB User
    Prozac or Zoloft? And acne.

My doctor prescribed Prozac for me to deal with social anxiety and depression. I've been on 10mg daily for a month. If anything, I feel more anxious and on edge than ever.

It was recommended I see a psychiatrist, so I did last week. He prescribed 25 mg Zoloft in the AM and .5mg clonazepam in the PM. I haven't started it yet because I really really hate taking new medicine. I hate it so much I think it might be a phobia. And since I have to take 2 new meds at the same time, I'm pretty scared.

Anyways, who is right? My doc or the psychiatrist? Should I keep taking the Prozac or should I go on Zoloft and Clonazepam?

Also, I've battled acne all my life but have been clear for about 4 years, but, since taking the Prozac, I've gotten 4 cysts in a month. Is that coincidence or has anyone else noticed an increase in acne when on these meds? (As you can imagine, the acne makes my anxiety and depression even worse!)

Last edited by turtlebug; 01-27-2006 at 10:42 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2006, 08:58 AM   #2
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
    Re: Prozac or Zoloft?

prozac and zoloft are both SSRI type antidepressants but your doses are only half the smallest effective doses, so you havent yet given the prozac a fair trial, perhaps the doc started you on a low dose to help you get used to it but forgot to up the dose after a week or 2 this does happen, you can take either med but you will need to get it up to the smallest effective dose and then try it for several weeks

discuss with a pharmacist if you can find 1 who will take the time
    klonapin is a valium type med that goes well with any antidepressant
    if you are lucky, an antidepressant med will help for both depression and anxiety

Old 01-27-2006, 10:50 AM   #3
    macadamiaNUT
    Inactive
    (female)

macadamiaNUT HB User

Hi there,

The Klonopin will help with the anxiety and will help with sleep if you need help that way. Zoloft is fairly well tolerated by many people, but I DO know what you mean about facing a switch to new meds. I had a hard time with the idea of switching from name brand to generic, but it all worked out fine.

Prozac, like many of the SSRI antidepressants, can make a person feel anxious. It's usually an intial side effect that goes away, or, like your current doc, they prescribe an antianxiety med to help with that effect.

hry33 is right about the doses being half that of the usual initial dose. Docs do this to try and minimize the initial side effects. With the half-dose of Zoloft PLUS the Klonopin, you should have an easier time of getting going on feeling better. It sounds like the psychiatrist is on the ball, from what I've seen.

If it helps, wait until there is someone who can be with you when you take your first dose of the Zoloft. The Klonopin is fast acting and you won't feel it help you relax a little, but it does do that. As for being phobic, most of us never expected to be ON meds like this, and there is enough stigma out there to scare people from taking them. It sounds like you have anxiety as part of depression, or anxiety just about trying something new when you are scared and just want to feel better already. ...LOADS of people feel the same way. It gets better as the meds kick in.

hth
    mNUT

Old 01-27-2006, 04:32 PM   #4
    turtlebug
    (female)

turtlebug HB User

Thanks for the responses!

I figured I wasn't on a very high dose but since the doc and psychiatrist prescribed diff things, I was very confused on what to stick with.

I personally liked the psychiatrist more so I went ahead and started the zoloft today. It wasn't fun taking that first step to take a new medication but I did it and I feel good about it.

I'm so sick of being stuck in my house because of this anxiety so I'm really hoping this stuff works. I'm nervous because of all the posts I read about how people have to keep trying different meds to find what works for them. I know it's trial and error but the whole process seems intimidating.

Anyways, the first step is the hardest, right? =o)

Old 01-27-2006, 06:58 PM   #5
    Johna
    Veteran
    (female)

Johna HB User

I was on prozac for about six months but was taken off it when I was diagnoised with add. Doc didn't think add and prozac mixed which was fine with me since I had gained weight being on prozac. I am now back on zoloft and at times need to take 150 mg because of stress. Does anyone else break out because of stress?
    If you do go off prozac please be aware of the side effects of going off prozac.
    Take care and good luck

Old 01-28-2006, 12:42 PM   #6
    GatsbyLuvr1920
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

I've been on all three medications, actually, and I'm currently on both Prozac and Klonopin. Neither one of the SSRI's did anything for my panic attacks; that's what I use the Klonopin for, the only medication that has ever gotten rid of my panic attacks. I used the Zoloft, and am currently using the Prozac, for OCD. I find that they do lessen my obsessions, but far from curing my OCD.
    -GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 01-28-2006, 04:00 PM   #7
    anonymouswreck
    (female)

anonymouswreck HB User

Johna,

I was just wondering what the side effects are if you go off Prozac?

Thanks.

Old 01-28-2006, 06:38 PM   #8
    Johna
    Veteran
    (female)

Johna HB User

Hi wreck
    When I went off prozac I thought of actually killing myself, became parnoid, nervous and felt like I could either crawl or jump out of my skin. Basically I was freaking out...like being on a bad acid trip.This went on for a good week with each day passing becoming alittle better.
    Has anyone else had side effects coming off zoloft?
    Take care,
    Johna

Old 01-29-2006, 08:23 AM   #9
    Denco
    (female)

Denco HB User

I haven't come off Zoloft, but I was assured by my doc that it wasn't addictive, so you shouldn't get any withdrawels..... which is what happened with prozac by the sounds of it.

Closed Thread