It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• advice on diazepam

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-31-2006, 03:31 AM   #1
    kitty.11
    (female)

kitty.11 HB User
    advice on diazepam

Hi everyone

Have just been given diazepam (5mg) - to be taken when needed. Have been suffering from anxiety and panic attacks for 9 years - have tried anti-depressants etc, which haven't really helped much. Have been trying to avoid taking any more medication but the anxiety is having such an impact on my life that I don't feel I've got much choice.

If anyone has any advice about taking diazepam - how did it make you feel? did it help? how should I take it? is it very addictive? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2006, 11:32 AM   #2
    michael2305
    (male)

michael2305 HB User
    Re: advice on diazepam

Hi my name is michael, and i have suffered with anxiety, and depression on two occassions. I take imipramine 150mg per day, it is an anti depressant, and is quite an old well tried drug. I have found it quite good. I am just recovering from my complaint, for the second time. I have been told i will need to stay on it for life. you need to stick with it for quite a few weeks before it stops the panic attacks, but it does work. Diazapam is quite good, but i find it only lasts for about an hour, and yes it is addictive.

good luck, i hope you manage to get soughted out
    michael

Old 01-31-2006, 02:26 PM   #3
    MAD MAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MAD MAZ HB User

Hi Kitty I was on Diazapam for many years and it did help me, When I got pregnant with my third child I stop with no problems .I went 4 years without taking any but right now i am suffering bad anxiety and am taking Diazapam when needed again, Yes it can be Addictive but I am proof that if you need to syop you can Ido hope you are feeling better real soon ..take care...Mandy

Old 02-01-2006, 11:52 AM   #4
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

diqazepam is valium and very useful, 5mg is a midrange dose, most anxiety sufferers are far too sensible to become addicted to it
    some antidepressants sometimes dont work for a person, diazepam always does help

Old 02-01-2006, 12:19 PM   #5
    MellyMel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MellyMel HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by michael2305
    Hi my name is michael, and i have suffered with anxiety, and depression on two occassions. I take imipramine 150mg per day, it is an anti depressant, and is quite an old well tried drug. I have found it quite good. I am just recovering from my complaint, for the second time. I have been told i will need to stay on it for life. you need to stick with it for quite a few weeks before it stops the panic attacks, but it does work. Diazapam is quite good, but i find it only lasts for about an hour, and yes it is addictive.

good luck, i hope you manage to get soughted out
    michael
    Hello Michael:

I just read your post and found very upsetting that you were told you needed to stay on for life? My doctor told me the SAME THING 15 years ago and let me tell you, it is NOT true. With life, health, financial changes, it is possible to come OFF your medicine in the future. I don't know how old you are, but I just want to let you know that they fed me the same line and guess what? I'm off 15 years later, but I'm off and I'm feeling great and currently trying to have another baby. Good luck to you and I just wanted you to know that almost all of the doctor's will tell you that!

Melly

Old 02-01-2006, 12:20 PM   #6
    MellyMel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MellyMel HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MellyMel
    Hello Michael:

I just read your post and found very upsetting that you were told you needed to stay on for life? My doctor told me the SAME THING 15 years ago and let me tell you, it is NOT true. With life, health, financial changes, it is possible to come OFF your medicine in the future. I don't know how old you are, but I just want to let you know that they fed me the same line and guess what? I'm off 15 years later, but I'm off and I'm feeling great and currently trying to have another baby. Good luck to you and I just wanted you to know that almost all of the doctor's will tell you that!

Melly
    P.S. I was on imipramine for YEARS until my body got too use to it and then I was put on Effexor for more years. Imipramine worked FANTASTIC on me

Old 02-02-2006, 09:16 AM   #7
    kitty.11
    (female)

kitty.11 HB User

Just wanted to thank everyone who replied with help and advice.

Am feeling a little better knowing I'm not the only one out there dealing with these problems.
    Kitty

Closed Thread