It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Buspar

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-02-2006, 01:59 PM   #1
    sadiegirl
    (female)

sadiegirl HB User
    Buspar

Hello!
    Does anyone take this med? It seems that it is not very popular anymore. Is this because it doesnt work? I have depression with occasional anxiety and I have heard that Wellbutrin combined with Buspar is a good combo......I am already on Wellbutrin and while it helps some with depression, I am always on edge.......any replies would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2006, 05:37 PM   #2
    Paul_b
    (male)

Paul_b HB User
    Re: Buspar

I took Buspar for several months and it worked very well for me. I could not tolerate Prozak or Paxil. Buspar is a little different, it works quickly, not like SSRI's (it's an SSI) and there does not seem to be withdrawal symptoms like SSRI's. For me it worked well for worry and ruminating thoughts. I can only speak for myself and I hope I never need it again, but if I do I will certainly take it.

Old 02-03-2006, 12:10 PM   #3
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

buspar is being promoted as an addon to make antidepressants work better

Old 02-03-2006, 02:22 PM   #4
    sadiegirl
    (female)

sadiegirl HB User

thank you so much for your replies....my doc just added it to my AD. i will let you know how it goes!

Old 02-07-2006, 10:24 AM   #5
    sadiegirl
    (female)

sadiegirl HB User

so far i am tolerating this med very very well though cant feel a difference yet. not sure when i am supposed to feel it (it has anly been four/five days)....no side effects though which is nice.....i would love to hear from anyone who has had experience with this med.
    thank you!

Old 02-07-2006, 03:13 PM   #6
    chrismom
    (female)

chrismom HB User

Hi

I was in the same situation as you, but with Cymbalta a couple of months ago. I had read about Buspar for anxiety and the "on edge" feeling that the Cymbalta gave me and asked my doc about it so she gave it to me. I took it for about a week to 10 days.

I also started a thyroid medication around the same time so I don't know if it was that med or not, but I became extremely hungry, craving sweets all the time and felt like the scale was going up and up every day that I took the buspar. Again, it could have been an effect of the thyroid med. I want to try the buspar again. I had no side effects otherwise and have been dying to talk to someone like you to see if you have any of the same effets of craving sweets.

I have depression and a bit of anxiety too. So far I like Cymbalta, but the "on edge" feeling I 'm getting tired of. I liked Wellbutrin too, but the on edge feeling was intolerable for me and at the time I hadn't read about Buspar. My doc wanted me to take Xanax, but I was afraind of becoming dependent on it. Buspar doesn't have the dependency part like other anti anxiety meds, plus it does take like 3 weeks or so to work, I'm told.

How much are you taking of the BUspar?

Would love to hear back from you on the BUspar.

Chris

Old 02-07-2006, 04:41 PM   #7
    sadiegirl
    (female)

sadiegirl HB User

Chris- I am on 15mg two times a day (I think! I am at work and am trying to remember.....) So far NO side effects but I am wondering....when do I feel the benefits??? I am on 30mg of Cymbalta and 300mg of WB so in general I dont have an appetite but if I do (whether or not I am on meds) I crave sugar- have always been like that.....but I dont feel like any of the meds are causing weight gain.....my main concern is sexual side effects! We shall see if this is a problem.....I have been on AD's in the past and kind of know what it should feel like when they work but with the Buspar....well, i have no idea! Did you feel anything? What was your dosage? What is your cymbalta dosage??? any side effects besides edginess?
    hopefully we can help each other figure this stuff out!
    Sadie

Old 02-07-2006, 05:34 PM   #8
    NikkiNak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NikkiNak HB User

Hello Guys and Gals-

I have an anxiety problem associated from hyperthyroidism- I am currently taking 20mlgs of paxil and tried buspar. 2 days was a complete zombie. I am now taking ativan. I like it much better. Its great to help me fall asleep.

Nikki

Old 02-07-2006, 09:21 PM   #9
    chrismom
    (female)

chrismom HB User

Hi Sadie,

Re: Cymbalta I take 20mg/day. Anymore than that and the anxiety is bad, but I still get he AD effect from 20mg. At first I couldn't sleep with the Cymbalta but that passed. Now, I have a little blurry vision and really just the anxiety/irritability. Oh and NO sex drive. This is really no change from before the Cymbalta though. SOme of the SSRI's helped that, but took away other things if you know what I mean. Wellbutrin was great with respect to sexual side effects. Everything I've read on the Buspar says it takes 3 weeks to work like an SSRI. IT's supposed to be pretty good it's just that it doesn't kick in as fast as Ativan/Xanax, etc... so if you need a quick fix you have to take the others.

I'm surprised you're on WB and Cymbalta. They both work on Norepinephrine and that is the component that makes me edgy I think. The Cymbalta did take away my appetite in the first couple of months. That has leveled off. I don't have the cravings for sweets as I usually do so that's good.

I think I was on l5mg twice a day too on the Buspar. My doc said that the Buspar may help with the sexual side effects of the Cymbalta too. Are you having sexual side effects from your meds?

I'd love to know how the Buspar works for you. Let's keep talking.....

Chris

Old 02-08-2006, 12:31 PM   #10
    sadiegirl
    (female)

sadiegirl HB User

Hi Chris-
    Thank you SOOOO much for your replies and your assurance that it may just take a little more time for the Buspar.....I am hoping that it will have AD benefits especially because I am not noticing any side effects............yes, I had the sleep problem at first on Cymbalta and it went away.....and i cannot wait to talk to a psyc (finally made an apt) about this combo because i think that you are right in that the WB and Cym work on some of the same stuff, maybe it would be better if i was on a low dose of something like Lex or Zoloft....(any experience with these?).....i think i have had some sexual SE from the Cym but it could be in my head (good sex drive but hard time with the big O, but probably worrying and trying too hard..) plus i didnt give myself much time to adjust to it (havent been on it for even a month yet)......so are you doing well on your combo? are you thinking of maybe going back on the Buspar?
    Oh, and I have delt with the blurry vision and dry eye thing for most of the time i have been on WB ) =
    yes, lets keep each other posted!!!

Nikki, do you take Ativan daily?

Last edited by sadiegirl; 02-08-2006 at 12:32 PM.

Old 02-08-2006, 08:56 PM   #11
    chrismom
    (female)

chrismom HB User

Hi Sadie -

Have had experience with Zoloft and Lexapro. Zoloft for me was like a placebo as far as AD effects and Lexapro made me kind of fatigued and crave sweets so I gained weight. But everyone is different with these meds so don't go by me.

I would really like to try the Buspar again. I want to wait until I go back to the endocrinologist about my thyroid meds though.

So far, the Cymbalta 20mg is OK for me. It does take some getting used to side effets wise. For me about 3 months for the side effects to subside. Sexual SE decreased too after that time. I just wish I could get something that could help with the anxiety that wasn't addicting. That's why I want to give Buspar another shot. The Xanax works, but I'm afraid to take it too often and if I take too much it makes me sleepy.

Keep me posted on the Buspar and let me know if you have any other questions about the Cymbalta.

Oh, did you find that the Wellbutrin increased your libido? It did for me when I was on it alone. How long have you taken it?

Chris

Old 02-09-2006, 11:19 AM   #12
    sadiegirl
    (female)

sadiegirl HB User

Chris- I have been on and off WB for the last 6 years so i hardly notice any benefits in the sexual side effects area......when in try to go off of it i feel terrible....i am ok with taking it in the long run and i think that i tolerate it well....i am ok with taking meds as long as they work (though i agree with you about not wanting to get addicted to taking something that you are uncomfortable with)...........i think the Cymb is helping but how long did it take you to feel the full benefits? i will keep you posted on the Buspar, like i said, no SE yet and this is a PLUS! I just hope that it has some benefits ( =

Old 02-10-2006, 06:34 AM   #13
    chrismom
    (female)

chrismom HB User

Hi Sadie

Re: Cymbalta, It took about 3 weeks or so to feel the AD effect of the Cymbalta, as more time when on I felt the full effects. Actually, I feel prettygood now as far as side effects and AD effect.

When I took Wellbutrin and went off of it I had this horrible fatigue. DId that happen to you after going off the Wellbutrin? ALso, do you notice any hair loss with the Wellbutrin? Maybe it was my imagination or hormonal, but after I stopped taking it I lost a lot of hair. THat's what prompted me to see the encocrinologist. It eventually stopped so I attributed it to the Wellbutrin.

Let me know on the Buspar. Do you feel anything yet? Does the "on edge" feeling feel a little better yet?

Chris

Old 02-10-2006, 06:57 AM   #14
    janart
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janart HB User

Hey guys, I just wanted to know if yall have experianced dizziness with Buspar. I took it a few years ago and it made me really dizzy. What good results have you noticed? Thanks

Old 02-10-2006, 11:47 AM   #15
    sadiegirl
    (female)

sadiegirl HB User

Chris-
    I didnt notice any hair loss with WB....I did once notice it with birth control pills but not WB....mainly I have dry eyes and low appetite.....I used to have problems sleeping but that went away a long time ago.....i have now been on the cymb for 4 weeks now and feel pretty good.....i want to wait until about as long on the Buspar before I consider any changes in meds....so far it has only been a week on Buspar....in general I feel pretty calm and have a feeling either the Cymb or Buspar is helping with this.......it is so hard to tell though....I am struggling with a bit of daytime fatigue which I had trouble with pretty much since first starting Cymb.....Did you have this? did it go away? what time do you take Cymb?.........
    Janart....I have not been dizzy at all with Buspar.....if there are any SE they have to do with being tired....hard to get going in the morning but once I am awake and out of bed things are fine ( =

Closed Thread