HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Anxiety (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/anxiety/)
-   -   Does anyone use Xanax XR for GAD (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/anxiety/363297-does-anyone-use-xanax-xr-gad.html)

jealibeanz 02-05-2006 02:56 PM

Does anyone use Xanax XR for GAD

I was on Klonopin and adderall for anxiety. This sent me into crying spells and a deep depression. I am out of it now and deicided to give just plain klonopin a try. It works, but makes me drowsy and a little clumsy at times. I just took .5 mg. Also, I worried about it causing depression. I know the adderall may have been the culprit before, so I can't be sure. I know regular Xanax is used for panic attacks, which I don't have, and is fast acting and short lived. I want something for mild constant anxiety and racing thoughts that will last through the day. If tried 4 SSRI's/SSNRI's without success. Plus I gained major weight. Do bezos cause weight gain? What are your thoughts on daily long term use? I know it's frowned upon by many doctors, but it is a drug that works and makes us feel better. I don't exactly consider SSRI's completely safe and cann have bad withdrawals, yet they push them like candy nowadays.

Punkdizzle 02-05-2006 03:33 PM

Re: Does anyone use Xanax XR for GAD

I did try XR and it was no to bad.. lasted all day but i cant afford it because my insurance wont cover it.. so i just stick with the reg xanax 3 to 4 times a day.. i still have some of my XRs left but i save them for those days where i know my anxiety is going to be sky high all day.... the nice thing about XR is you dont have the ups and down like with the non XR other then that i could tell no diff. between the 2..

my thoughs and my shrinks thoughts on long term daily use are... "if you need it to function use it". but i am a big fan of benzos because they are the only thing that has ever helped my anxiety..

i dont think benzos cause weight gain.. at least i have never gained any from them..

[B]bulletinboard25[/B] posted a really good reply here on the daily use of benzos and dependance VS addiction [url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=362854[/url]

jealibeanz 02-05-2006 05:24 PM

Do you think it would be comparable to Klonopin? I never have huuuuge anxiety, but consistent moderate anxiety that invades my every thoughts. Is it sedating?

Punkdizzle 02-05-2006 06:14 PM

[QUOTE=jealibeanz]Do you think it would be comparable to Klonopin? I never have huuuuge anxiety, but consistent moderate anxiety that invades my every thoughts. Is it sedating?[/QUOTE]

i have never taken Klonopin but i always heard that Klonopin lasted a little longer then xanax.. (just what i have read no idea how true it is)
the xanax was a little sedating the first week i was on it.. then that effect went away.. i have no idea if the XR would be the same way as i was given the XR after i had been on the reg xanax for a few months and the sedating reaction had worn off..
i am assuming you are worried it will make you feel like a zombie?
i know it does effect some ppl in that way but i never had the zombie reaction to it.. a little tired when on it at first but as i said that passed in about a week for me.. everyones system is so different.. so there is no telling if you will have the same reacion i had with it..

wish i had a better answer for you.. but i dont.. :(

hry33 02-06-2006 10:52 AM

xanax XR is often very expensive and I doubt its any better than klonapin
both of course are valium type meds, you may need to try several of these to find 1 that suits you well
these meds dont cause weight gain or loss
.5 of K is a low dose and IMO cant hurt you if taken daily, the usual problem is finding a doc who will keep prescribing tham

bulletinboard25 02-06-2006 11:34 AM

Thanks punkdizzle... appreciate that you thought my post was a good one:)

About the Xanax XR. I am also taking that... I'm taking 1.5mg per day; however, sometimes I don't take it when I'm home. (which has been a lot lately!)

I took regular Xanax in the generic form and then moved on to the brand name Xanax XR. I CAN tell a difference between the generic and brand, there are a lot less up and downs, but it doesn't give you that immediate coverage. If that makes sense? The XR version is good if you KNOW that a certain thing will cause you anxiety and you can take it before it causes you anxiety. Say you were going to go on a trip to the store, and everytime you went it caused you to have a panic attack, it wouldn't be good if you took the Xanax XR while you were at the store, because it would not kick in fast enough to really treat the panic attack... so you'd want to take it when you got up, making sure it was at least an hour before you left for the event.

I've found that although it does work, sometimes I'll want it to kick in FAST, and the Xanax XR just isn't fast enough.. so I have some left over generic Xanax that I'll take in those situations.

My Dr. thinks that Klonopin is better for racing thoughts, and that sounds to me like what you were describing. I feel that both Xanax XR and Klonopin could benefit you. It's definitely worth discussing with your Dr.

Xanax XR for me is great. It does give you good coverage throughout the day. Downfall-does not have a fast onset of action, which can be bad if you have an anxiety attack. Also, it's a little more expensive. I have a $40 copay for it. Your insurance might be different and cover more, but $40 per/month can add up when you're taking other meds.

Klonopin-Advantage-Cheap, long acting, and available in a generic. Downfall-I found it doesn't work as long as they say it does. IMO the Xanax XR lasts much longer than Klonopin. Also, some don't like dissolving medicine.

jealibeanz 02-20-2006 01:33 PM

Well my problem is that Klonopin causes depression and crying spells with me. It is known for that. Do you take it once a day? Feel foggy or stupid or uncoordinated?