It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Week 4 of Zoloft, Please help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-10-2006, 02:44 AM   #1
    yankees123
    (female)

yankees123 HB User
    Week 4 of Zoloft, Please help

About a month ago I was diagnosed with GAD/depression. It took many tests before the doctors concluded this but this is what they say is causing all of my pain. My doctor started me on 50 mg of Zoloft. My second week on it was great! I thought I was getting my life back. By week 3, it all went downhill again. The pain in my arms, back & neck & chest pain were all back. I went to my doctors who upped my dosage to 100mg this past Tuesday. Tonight, I woke in the middle of the night with complete numbness/pain in both arms in my back. It was so bad that for the first time since I was on Zoloft I took a Xanax with the hopes of being able to fall abck to sleep. Has anyone every had this symptom before? It almost seems my symptoms are just as as bad when I first started the meds.

Any help would be great!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2006, 08:39 AM   #2
    Guineapig5
    (female)

Guineapig5 HB User
    Re: Week 4 of Zoloft, Please help

Strange as it sounds, pain is indeed a symptom of depression. There's a scientific principle behind it, but I can't remember it. Also, anxiety sufferers tend to magnify physical problems and have a tendency to freak out over them. I know, because I've done this!

Ask yourself: Is there some repetitious activity I'm doing causing me pain? I discovered that the way I was holding a handbag was causing me pain and numbness in my arms.

Old 02-10-2006, 10:10 AM   #3
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

100 is a midrange dose, I would be thinking about going back to 50 for a while, taking xanax as needed as both meds go well together, dont be too proud to take xanax when its needed
    is the pain coming from muscle tension try a long soak in a hot bath and get someone to rub or massage you

Old 02-10-2006, 09:31 PM   #4
    seriousperson
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

seriousperson HB Userseriousperson HB User

Zoloft gives me painful muscle spasms. So the doctor has me on Requip for that side effect. Requip also makes me want to go to sleep, which is fine at night but not so great in the morning.

Old 02-11-2006, 09:51 AM   #5
    jinglebts
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
    Angry Re: Week 4 of Zoloft, Please help

He could just try you on a different SSRI, instead of having you take a drug that possibly doesn't work and then giving you another one for the side effects.

jb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-11-2006, 08:36 PM   #6
    seriousperson
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

seriousperson HB Userseriousperson HB User

Zoloft was my 4th ssri. Actually, I thought Lexapro worked better, but the side effects were stronger too.

Jinglebts, the angry red face on your post makes me laugh.

Last edited by seriousperson; 02-11-2006 at 08:37 PM.

Old 02-12-2006, 02:16 PM   #7
    jinglebts
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
    Wink Re: Week 4 of Zoloft, Please help

Quote:
    Originally Posted by seriousperson

Jinglebts, the angry red face on your post makes me laugh.
    Glad you liked it.

I've been thru' many doctors in my time (gynecologists, endocrinologists, GPs, neurologists) and I respect very few of them, hence the ... Seems to me that a doctor will put you on a med with side effects, and then give you something to cope with the side effects; the drug to help control the side effects itself has side effects -- on and on it goes!!

The person who has helped me most is my ND (naturopath). One of the things she has me on is fish oil -- 3000mg -- and it's done me a lot of good -- a natural AD and antianxiety remedy. I still need my klonopin, but less of it b/c of the fish oil. You might want to try that if you don't take it already. (It also raises HDL and is an anti-inflammatory.) She also gives me B12 injections weekly and acupuncture.

Sorry you're having such trouble. Have you tried a naturopath?

jb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-13-2006, 03:47 AM   #8
    yankees123
    (female)

yankees123 HB User

No, I have not tried a naturopath but maybe that is an avenue I should explore. Like you, I have seen many of doctors. My GP, neuro, cardio, chiro, gyno and the list goes on. For me, I am not so sure that the muscle aches are a side effect of Zoloft, as the aches were there before I started. They are just still there and I was hoping that they would go away with the meds. Taking a warm bath or getting a massage provide temporary relief. It's almost like a roaming pain. First in my neck, than my back, than my left arm, etc., etc.

This is all still so new to me and quite upseting. I just want to be back to my "old self" again. I ask myself on a daily basis "when am I going to get better?" My husband tells me I am going to get better when I'm ready and willing to accept the fact that I have GAD. It;s just so hard to understand how something mental can cause such physical pain. Ya' know?

Old 02-13-2006, 05:10 AM   #9
    dianalynn12201
    (female)

dianalynn12201 HB User

I was flipping through this site looking for something that might be able to help with something totally unrelated to this and I saw that you suffered from anxiety. Our son was on Zoloft, Lexapro, Prozac, etc...almost all of the SSRI's but it did not help his anxiety at ALL. One day someone told me that Paxil targeted anxiety much much better than the other SSRIs did. So, although I cannot help you with your symptoms I can say that if you suffer from anxiety...Paxil worked for our son where the other SSRIs did not. Good luck. I have seen how my son suffered before and how well he is doing now, and there is help out there. Keep playing with medicine.

Closed Thread