It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• almost a month and still side effects? anyone else have this

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-11-2006, 05:48 AM   #1
    ternetzi
    (male)

ternetzi HB User
    almost a month and still side effects? anyone else have this

started on 5mg of lexapro for a week then went to 10mg its saturday morning now this comming wendsday will be 3 weeks on 10mg almost a month counting the 5mg

the side effects werent that bad at first (odd i know) yawning mostly its seems this last week i seem to get headaches EVERYDAY now they never get real bad but enough to take ibuprophen, and i dont like that because taking to much of it can hurt your stomach, and along with that i just feel sick,
    i can tell its helping big time with my anxiety, and i havent had a panic attack since ive been on it, but these recent side effects just make me miserable at work, and at home, and i dint really want to stop taking it as i know its helping
    please someone tell me they have had side effects after a couple of weeks and they go away

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2006, 09:38 AM   #2
    jinglebts
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
    Re: almost a month and still side effects? anyone else have this

I had nausea from Zoloft that didn't go away for a month, so the doctor switched me to Paxil ... I think side effects should have disappeared after a month, or at least abated. On Paxil, I had no side effects.

jb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-11-2006, 10:48 AM   #3
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

the side effects mostly go away when the med is working properly, which should be soon

Old 02-14-2006, 03:36 PM   #4
    ternetzi
    (male)

ternetzi HB User

im more worried about these daily headaches

Old 02-14-2006, 04:05 PM   #5
    jinglebts
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User

Well, in my opinion, you shouldn't have to take a medication daily (ibuprophen) to deal with the side effects of an anti-depressant (lexapro) when you've been on it for a month. I think it's time to call your doctor and at least tell him what's up.

You can try another SSRI without a washout period. (A washout period is allowing the medication to leave your system, which takes in general about two weeks.) In case you don't know, tri-cyclic ADs and MAOIs and SSRIs only need washout periods if you are switching from one type (say, a tricyclic) to another (a MAOI or an SSRI). They are not necessary when you are switching within types. For example, you can go from lexapro to paxil to prozac to celexa (there are more, I know, but I don't recall their names -- all SSRIs) with no downtime.

Some doctors recommend cross tapering -- you reduce the dosage of lexapro while increasing the dosage of a new drug. That works too.

I understand that you're worried (I have anxiety disorder too, and would be terrified), but in my experience, you ought to be able to switch directly from one SSRI to another with no trouble. Alternativly, you can cross taper. It depends on the doctor.

I do recommend that you call your doctor. (And in case you don't know, don't stop the lexapro suddenly.)

I hope this helps.

jb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Closed Thread