It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Effexor and Social Anxiety

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-16-2006, 05:39 PM   #1
    bushleaguer

bushleaguer HB User
    Effexor and Social Anxiety

I was wondering if anyone has had success with taking Effexor for Social Anxiety.
    I've run the gamut on the SSRIs and my doctor and I are running out of options. I have panic disorder as well, but I'm taking klonopin for that. I've read the horror stories regarding Effexor and withdrawal, but I don't know what else will help. Effexor is FDA approved for SAD, but I don't put much trust in the drug companies. So I'm wondering if anyone has first hand experience with Effexor for SAD and how they did with it.

I have the trial pack here now, and I still don't know if the possible benefits outweigh the negatives (side effects, withdrawal syndrome). I'm also steadfast against gaining weight, as I need to lose weight already. I've read mixed results in regards to Effexor and weight gain...ugh.

Thanks for any input.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2006, 05:49 AM   #2
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
    Re: Effexor and Social Anxiety

effexor is a SNRI and if all your others have actually been SSRI type its worth trying as it may work
    all the antidepressants can sometimes help for social anxiety, sadly the results cant be predicted so you have to keep trying 1 after the other in the hopew of eventually finding the right one for you
    paxil is the one with withdrawl peoblems, I havent heard about any effexor problems, but keep in mind that all antidepressants are strong meds

the klonapin will help you get used to any new antidepressant

Old 02-17-2006, 08:06 AM   #3
    bushleaguer

bushleaguer HB User

Thank you for the reply, Hry33.

Actually, my doctor told me that Effexor's withdrawal syndrome was on par with Paxil's. He told me that he leaves Effexor as a "last resort" due to its side effect profile and subsequent withdrawal syndrome. That being said, not everyone has a difficult a time....the only way to find out is to take it, as you said.

I'm just wondering if anyone has had success with it for Social Anxiety. I'm well aware of what the drug company claims.....but one has to remember that they are salespeople.

Old 02-17-2006, 11:36 AM   #4
    himmylover
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

himmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB User

Hi, My name is Donna, and I am on 150 mgs. of Effexor XR, and this stuff has been a blessing for me, I have anxiety and panic disorder, and thiss A/D has really helped, also, I haven't gained any extra weight, might have even lost a few pds.

Give it a shot, life is way too short, My doctor also gave it to me for depression, my father who was my best friend passed away, and I did not take it well at all.

Go for it, It could change your life for the so much better.

Good Luck!
    Donna

Old 02-17-2006, 12:19 PM   #5
    americandancer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

americandancer HB User

I am now on effexor 150mg for the 2nd time. The first time I wasn't on it very long because of what I read about the withdrawal, but I am trying it for the 2nd time. I am on my first week of 150 (started a week at 37.5mg, then a week at 75mg) and I feel pretty good so far. I have energy to go do things I need to do and haven't had any panic attacks. I feel I suffer from social anxiety, also, and this med is working for me. Yes, I'm a little scared of the withdrawal process, but I'll deal with that when the time comes.

Old 02-17-2006, 09:45 PM   #6
    Happy Days
    (female)

Happy Days HB User

I have been on Effexor XR for over a year and it has worked wonders for me. I take 225 mg. I too had the social anxiety and a lot of problems participating in meetings at work. Since I have been on the Effexor, I feel calmer and it has also helped my depression. I am able to deal with my problems now without the fear and anxiety.

I also take Ativan. I have not had a panic attack since I have been on the Effexor and Ativan. The Effexor does not cause the weight gain as other ADs. One of the side effects can be a loss of appetite.

I have heard the horror stories about the withdrawals but right now I feel great and that is what is important. When the time comes to get off the medication, I will work with my doctor to do it very gradually; the same way we increased my dosage.

Old 02-17-2006, 10:48 PM   #7
    bushleaguer

bushleaguer HB User

Thanks for the input, everyone.

I think I'll give it a shot, as I don't have anything to lose at this point. My doctor is very good with gradual increases with dosage and such, as he's learned that ramping someone up too fast can scare a patient away from something that could be beneficial.

I'll update on how I do. I'm going to start the 37.5mgs tomorrow morning.

Glad to hear others are doing well. Here's to better mental health.

Closed Thread