It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Did anyone else stop physical activity?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-16-2006, 04:46 PM   #1
    lena_33
    (female)

lena_33 HB User
    Did anyone else stop physical activity?

Hi there,
    I'm a 16 year old girl who, of last year, started having symptoms of anxiety. I had always been anxious about little things and an overachiever. Also, since I started high school this worsened as I'm in a Performing Arts school and am very hard on myself both in my performing and academically.

Last year I wrote my last exam and had never been more anxious in my life. Afterwards, I went and rode a horse who I most definately did NOT feel safe on and got even more anxious. That evening I began to have shortness of breath (which I also had in grade 6 but it went away eventually).

As a week or two passed, I felt weak and exhausted after doing any physical activity and my heart was racing like crazy all the time. Over the year I've had everything possible checked out and I'm perfectly healthy (except for low magnesium).

I have also been diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder. I had taken Zoloft previously and I didn't feel any chance after several months. Although the fatigue is better, I still have shortness of breath and a racing heart all the time even when I don't think I'm anxious. My question is, for people that have had the same kind of issues, have you stopped physical activity (anything harder then walking) all together? I can't seem to get back to it. I'm terrified of doing physical activity and when I had a stress test done, my heartrate was 180 bpm. What do you think?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2006, 09:12 PM   #2
    black_lab
    (male)

black_lab HB User
    Re: Did anyone else stop physical activity?

I haven't been diagnosed yet, but I'm quite sure I also suffer from anxiety since I often experience the same kind of symptoms. This is all relatively new to me, but I've actually used physical activity to take my mind off of things that make me anxious. Having a 180 bpm heartrate is pretty distressing though... I would definitely look into it further before doing any intense physical activites. Sorry I couldn't help more.

Old 02-17-2006, 04:11 AM   #3
    Hannigaholic
    (male)

Hannigaholic HB User

The whole point of the stress test is to raise your heartrate to near-maximum - they then check to see if your heart is working properly at that near-maximum rate so I wouldn't worry about having a high heartrate during the stress test

But to answer your thread title, yes I pretty much cut out a lot a physical activity when I started getting anxiety/panic attacks and now I've gained a shedload of weight

Try not to stop - eat right, sleep right, work right and play right, otherwise you'll give yourself something else to worry about that's much more serious than anxiety

You can get through the anxiety as long as you believe you can (I know it sounds corny but it's true)

Old 02-17-2006, 08:32 AM   #4
    lena_33
    (female)

lena_33 HB User

Thank you for your posts.

I do walking every day I can for about 20 minutes at a relatively fast pace. However, even when I go upstairs at home and am not worried about my heartrate going up, I can still feel it pumping really really fast and it makes me shakey for awhile when I get to the top of the stairs.

I have the fastest metabolism ever so I can't gain weight if I try, even with stopping physical activity for a year I'm making sure I eat well (plus I eat like a horse) and I get lots of sleep. Other than this racing heart all the time, I'm perfectly healthy but for some reason I still can't do physical activity. Honestly, I've tested everything from thyroid (I have hyPOthyroidism, weird) to potassium levels. Right now I'm waiting for test results to see if I have metal poisoning. If they come back negative, I'm going to have to assume that I have an anxiety problem since nothing else has shown up. So, is there anyone else out there with the same problem?

Old 02-17-2006, 10:02 AM   #5
    Jonev11
    (male)

Jonev11 HB User

WHATEVER YOU THINK YOU SHOULD NOT STOP PHYSICAL ACTIVITY. Sorry for the caps but its important.

I was once like you and started avoiding exercise. I didn't work. I now exercise 3-4 times a week and usually feel better when exercising.

This is an extremely bad way of avoiding anxiety. The problem with this is that you may feel better by avoiding physical activity and therefore some anxiety but anxiety has a way of changing and coming back in new ways. Eventually you will experience anxiety in a different way like say anxiety over going to school. So because you avoided scary situations before and you may think it helped you will want to stop going to school. Eventually this will go on until you remove a ton of things and are afraid to leave your house.

The best thing you can do is exercise no matter how scary it gets and PROVE to yourself that you won't let fear stop you. Nobody can know what is going to happen to themselves (like will exercise make this worse or send me to the hospital or worse), the only thing you do know is that worrying about it steals your moments, it ruins your moments with worry, so don't buy in to the need to worry about stuff you will never get an answer for.

Good Luck and Make sure you exercise

Old 02-17-2006, 04:07 PM   #6
    lena_33
    (female)

lena_33 HB User

Jonev11 - don't worry I have not stopped physical activity totally. Like I said above, I walk every day for 20 minutes. The problem is that when I do anything over walking, my heartrate skyrockets to 180bpm and up, and in turn I get exhausted and feel ill. I'm not sure whether to risk it and try physical activity anyway or trying and get tested for more things (although I don't think there's anything else left to be tested for)

Old 02-20-2006, 07:00 PM   #7
    tooanxious
    Veteran
    (male)

tooanxious HB User

Exercise has been the best thing for my anxiety. I havent done any in the last week and I feel like crap. Im going to start again tommorow. Exercise relieves tensions and stress. The only problem is that I am so worn out from anxiety at times I dont have the energy to exercise.

Old 02-20-2006, 11:12 PM   #8
    missrttn
    (female)

missrttn HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lena_33
    Thank you for your posts.

I do walking every day I can for about 20 minutes at a relatively fast pace. However, even when I go upstairs at home and am not worried about my heartrate going up, I can still feel it pumping really really fast and it makes me shakey for awhile when I get to the top of the stairs.

I have the fastest metabolism ever so I can't gain weight if I try, even with stopping physical activity for a year I'm making sure I eat well (plus I eat like a horse) and I get lots of sleep. Other than this racing heart all the time, I'm perfectly healthy but for some reason I still can't do physical activity. Honestly, I've tested everything from thyroid (I have hyPOthyroidism, weird) to potassium levels. Right now I'm waiting for test results to see if I have metal poisoning. If they come back negative, I'm going to have to assume that I have an anxiety problem since nothing else has shown up. So, is there anyone else out there with the same problem?
    When I was first diagnosed with anxiety i was tested for all of those same things. It is weird how anxiety does weird stuff with your heart. It bothers me too, but i've been dealing with it for 7 years now and i'm still hear.

Old 02-20-2006, 11:17 PM   #9
    gully4mile
    (male)

gully4mile HB User

i think you should take it easy and walk a lot---

Old 02-20-2006, 11:21 PM   #10
    gully4mile
    (male)

gully4mile HB User

oh, and if you 'toke'---look-out, panic will follow---i'll never forget only being 40, and paying this idiot $200/hr to explain how there's no connecection of THC and the 'anxiety' newtork---now it's common fact---do i get my money back????????

Old 02-21-2006, 12:18 AM   #11
    gully4mile
    (male)

gully4mile HB User

unless you've a proven problem, exercise is The anti-depressent---the only safe one---and this is hard to do---but panic may very cleverly look like a 'heart-attack'---similar pain, breathlessness---but what's strange is you get a Highly elevated fear ration---much high than someone really dieing---go figure? i've been tossed in cardiac icu twice---why? badass panic rockets cholesteral, may lead to odd eks, your limbs are cold and blue---blood has rushed to vital organs---you may have intense pain in left jaw/arm---what are they supposed to think?
    what causes this mess? it start with an anxiety producing family---the only other way is strong trauma to the cardiac/esopogeal sphinter musle---luck me, i got 'em both---bonkers 'borderline' family and i turned my back on an Hawaiian wave---T-Boned me on my board against the sea-floor---bruise lasted 6 months---then i had to save 2 lives of children w/heimlich---it adds up---take an inventory---so many things---childhood spirit or sexual or violent abuse---these Create literally 'disabling' panic---

the only thing worse is your drs.' meds---accept no benzos/neuroleptics---take the panic---it just 'stops'---goes away for years, but take the meds/daily? for months? you're toast. milk-toast---never be 'You' again---some 'clients' can't leave their room---ok, but take only as needed and realise you're like the rock mucisian who can't play w/o smack---no difference---good luck, and i'm tranquil---on a moth's income that was a day's---trusted the dr.

Old 02-21-2006, 04:22 PM   #12
    lena_33
    (female)

lena_33 HB User

Ok thanks for all your posts but I think I just need to make something clear. I cannot even go up stairs without my heartrate skyrocketing. With a bit of exercise it goes up to 180bmp. At my lowest resting heartrate, it's in the 80's. Normally my resting heartrate will be in the 100's. I cannot go anything over walking without getting exhausted and my heartrate going insane. Yet theres no proven problem. Anyone else have the same thing?

Old 02-22-2006, 07:12 AM   #13
    Texiss
    (female)

Texiss HB User

Oh my goodness...I have the *same* problem! I asked my cardiologist about the rapid heartbeat and he said it's "harmless". My echo, stress test, holter monitor & lab work all came back okay, but I'm still having a problem. It's to the point where walking to the kitchen and leaning against the counter waiting for the toaster causes me a pulse rate of 120. Very unnerving...and its hard to believe its NOT harmful, isn't it? Sometimes I'm fine but most of the time I'm very aware of it. I am new to this whole anxiety thing, but I'm thinking that my being aware of it, and making sure I'm aware of it, is most of the problem. After a rough few months with little sleep, missing a lot of work, and crippling anxiety which resulted in my not really leaving the house...I'm feeling a little better. I'd like to start walking or stretching just to get back into some kind of movement, but it's SOOOO hard! Do you also find that if you lay down your pulse rate pretty quickly returns to normal? I've also noticed that sometimes, if I'm able to distract myself, my pulse slows. I'm not sure how to get past this. I am not on any medication, and am pretty reluctant to try any as I'm terrified of the side effects and seemingly constant switching of medications, both of which seem to be unavoidable. Has anybody out there had any luck with a therapy-type approach to get a grip on their anxiety?

Texiss

Old 02-22-2006, 02:18 PM   #14
    lena_33
    (female)

lena_33 HB User

Texiss - I'd really like to talk to you about your tachycardia and everything! Maybe we can work to find a cure for both of us. I'll tell you, it makes me feel a lot better to know I'm not the only one out there. If you could email me at [email]{REMOVED}[/email] or anyone else that has the same thing that would be amazing Thanks for all the excellent responses!

Last edited by msmod; 02-22-2006 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Please read and follow our posting rules. Don't post off board contact information of any kind. Ms_Mod

Old 02-24-2006, 10:13 AM   #15
    Texiss
    (female)

Texiss HB User

Lena,

It is reassuring, isn't it, to know we're not alone. I read about all kinds of other symptoms that are related to anxiety, including rapid heart rate. I still have a few episodes of rapid heart beat each week, and sometimes I wake up with a racing heart...but I'm trying to ignore them the best I can and tell myself that maybe, just maybe, the doctors are right and I am not going to drop over dead! LOL! I mean, I'm still here, right? I am challenging myself to get out and do a little more than I did the day before. I went to Wal Mart last night and stopped by the grocery store...by myself...something I haven't been able to do for months. Baby steps I am also trying to stop myself from checking my pulse every time I get up to do something. I know exactly what a tachycardia attack feels like...and I will know when that happens, no need to check my pulse! For me, the rapid pulse seems worse in the morning. Without fail, every morning my pulse is about 130 when I get out of the shower, and I can't figure out why. Anyway, let me know how you're doing...hope your "today" is better than "yesterday"!

Texiss

Closed Thread