It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• What med has worked best for your anxiety ?? Confused!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-23-2006, 12:30 PM   #1
    zosolizard
    Veteran
    (female)

zosolizard HB User
    Red face What med has worked best for your anxiety ?? Confused!

I realize that we all are very different & have different reactions to meds... and I get so confused when I see all of the options out there.

My doctor has mentioned Lexapro, Paxil, Effexor, Cymbalta, Zoloft, and Buspar.

I tried Lexapro for 3 days but personally didn't like how I felt on it.... I had too much anxiety & could not tolerate it. I tolerated Paxil well years ago, but couldn't handle the withdrawals. Also, my symptoms were much different back then - I didn't have anxiety at all.

So - I'm lost! My main concern is hopefully finding something that doesn't create any extra anxiety or mania.

I've got Xanax but that is just a temporary helper for me.

I appreciate any input & opinions from you all.

Thanks so much!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2006, 02:37 PM   #2
    tnmomofive
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tnmomofive HB User
    Re: What med has worked best for your anxiety ?? Confused!

Well its tuff to say which would be right for you all you can do is try but just so you know unfortunately for some all SSRI's will cause more anxiety for the first few weeks or so until the med builds up in your system.Some have alot of side effects on a particular SSRI and another on that same SSRI may not have any side effects.I am not sure this will do any good but the one that didnt give me any sife effects (or maybe to little to notice) was Zoloft I was taking a low dose if I remember right it was 20 to 25 mg once a day....if you want you can give it a try..I would also keep the xanax at hand in case there are some side effects you can use those as back up with the SSRI to help get ya over the hump of the first few weeks.Hopefully you will find one that doesnt give ya much trouble but if your going to go with meds you may have to deal with side effects until they start to work well.

good luck to you

Last edited by tnmomofive; 02-23-2006 at 02:38 PM.

Old 02-23-2006, 05:36 PM   #3
    jkobeck
    (male)

jkobeck HB User

Well, years ago I tried Paxil and the side effects were aweful. I went to a new doc 3 weeks ago and she put me on Celexa, I started out at 5mg for 4 days then went to 10 for 4 days and then 15, and finally 20
    no side effects, a little extra anxiety in the begining but the Klonopin took care of that. I attribute the very SLOW increase to me not having problems. most docs will start at 10 mg and jump to 20. so start S L O W

Old 02-24-2006, 08:32 AM   #4
    zosolizard
    Veteran
    (female)

zosolizard HB User

Thanks you guys. I realize I will just have to relax & give different meds a try. Guess I was just kind of hoping that I could get lucky & find the perfect one on the first try, LOL

I'll def. be sure to keep xanax handy to get me through the beginning...

Thanks again!

Old 02-24-2006, 03:19 PM   #5
    Mr. Jeff
    (male)

Mr. Jeff HB User
    Lightbulb Re: What med has worked best for your anxiety ?? Confused!

Over many years, I have tried all the SSRI's with no help.
    I finally found a newer medication that I have been on for only a few weeks, and believe it or not felt the difference the next day. Talk to your Psyciatrist about Seroquel. It is a medication not originally designed for anxiety, but then again either was many of the medications we take for one reason or the other. I started at 25mg. and Dr. told me to increase slowly as tolerated. It sure gives you a wonderful sleep!!! As far as Xanax vs. Klonopin, Xanax was designed to leave your body in 4 hours, therefor you go through withdrawl every 4 hours, and may experience "rebound anxiety" I have found Klonopin, which stays in the body longer with out abrupt withdrawl has in the long run been much more helpful to me. And... with the start of the Seroquel I need the Klonopin less and less, as a matter of a fact I can take 25 mg of Seroquel and get nearly the same relief as a Xanax
    Talk to your Doctor about this!!
    Good Luck,
    Mr Jeff

Closed Thread