It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• "Natural" cures?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-24-2006, 11:14 AM   #1
    tigerlillyrose
    Inactive
    (female)

tigerlillyrose HB User
    "Natural" cures?

Has anyone found any relief from anxiety, either situational or generalized, from herbal medicines such as Valerian root, etc.? I have insomnia from time to time, and it seems to be a chicken or egg situation (not sure if the anxiety causes the insomnia or vice versa, although I know the insomnia makes the anxiety worse). Anyway, the reason why I ask about Valerian is I know it's used for insomnia (and its effectiveness I'm uncertain of, but have read a few studies that suggests it *could* be effective). I'm worried about using perscription drugs since I suffer from generlized anxiety *and* situational anxiety and have ever since I can remember. I was wondering if anyone had any luck at all with herbal remedies? And if so, what were they and what were the circumstances surrounding your usage of them?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2006, 01:01 PM   #2
    NuttyProf..
    Inactive
    (male)

NuttyProf.. HB User
    Re: "Natural" cures?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tigerlillyrose
    Has anyone found any relief from anxiety, either situational or generalized, from herbal medicines such as Valerian root, etc.? I have insomnia from time to time, and it seems to be a chicken or egg situation (not sure if the anxiety causes the insomnia or vice versa, although I know the insomnia makes the anxiety worse). Anyway, the reason why I ask about Valerian is I know it's used for insomnia (and its effectiveness I'm uncertain of, but have read a few studies that suggests it *could* be effective). I'm worried about using perscription drugs since I suffer from generlized anxiety *and* situational anxiety and have ever since I can remember. I was wondering if anyone had any luck at all with herbal remedies? And if so, what were they and what were the circumstances surrounding your usage of them?
    The benzodiazepines are probably much much more effective than valerian root, Kava, St. John's wort, etc. There is a natural substance called SAM-e which you can buy in any health store like GNC or Vitamin World or Shoppe. Its very good for depression and anxiety. It's just expensive though and it needs to be taken on an empty stomach to absorb properly. You need the enteric coated pills. It could also cause some stomach upset. Omega 3 fatty acids in fish oils or flaxseed is also very good. Fish oils need to be taken with food.

Old 02-24-2006, 01:54 PM   #3
    Toni_no12002
    (female)

Toni_no12002 HB User

I know that you are looking for natural cures like herbs etc but i went to a counsellor about my anxiety and now im fine.The answer was really simple and when i first heard about it i thought it was rubbish but it really does work.

He told me that anxiety is everything being built up and its adrenalin pumping through my body.Like when your on a rollercoaster,or about to have a fight with someone.Its the fight or flight response.You either fight it or run away.He told me to stop my anxiety to exercise alot more.Like running or cycling.Cardio.As it releases adrenalin.After a work out you feel calmer.

After i heard this from him i thought it was rubbish.But one day i started feeling really anxious.So i jumped on my bike.I really went fast.(it was a stationary one)after a while i got off and i felt better the anxiety had stopped!Its strange.So every day i went on the bike and now i hardly ever get anxious.I feel great.Exercise lifts your moods alot.

You should try it its worked for me!

Old 02-26-2006, 11:12 AM   #4
    iyami
    Veteran
    (female)

iyami HB User

im haveing luck with passionflower, but im taking a combination herb soon, thi is just to start me off (my phsycotherpist wants me to easeinto it)
    i actually feel alot less anxious, i still fidgeting but i can fall asleep much faster than before (it took atleast an hour every time, now its only like 20 minutes)and i dont have panic attacks liek i used to
    the cercomstances.. well i have OCD, generalized anxiety, PTST, social anxiety, and a panic disorder, so i was kind of a reck for years, i worked very veryhard to get myself more stable without meds, and got rid of the major problems liek depression and even got more social (but im still a social phobe)

i think as long as your okayish controle-wise, herbs can work for you, i tried tehem years ago when iw as such a mess, and they did not work, i think they can give you a nice push, but they can only push so hard, you sound liek all youneed is alittle push, though.

Old 02-28-2006, 01:25 PM   #5
    CircusSquirrel
    Veteran
    (female)

CircusSquirrel HB User

Vigorous exercise (for me, running) has helped me with my long-standing anxiety more than anything else, including years of therapy, numerous medications, herbs, etc. Lower intensity exercise does help some, but if you can exercise vigorously (or work up to exercising vigorously) then you'll see increased benefits.

Closed Thread