It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Can Lexapro cause more anxiety?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-06-2006, 02:33 PM   #1
    pinkeetoz
    (female)

pinkeetoz HB User
    Can Lexapro cause more anxiety?

I'm taking klonopin for anxiety and started taking 5mg of lexapro one week ago. Today I've been having a bit more anxiety than I have had in the last few days. Has anyone else experienced an increase in anxiety on antidepressants?Thx, pinkee

Last edited by pinkeetoz; 03-06-2006 at 02:35 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2006, 04:13 PM   #2
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
    Re: Can Lexapro cause more anxiety?

yes this is common, anridepressant meds often make the anxiety worse for a while, the klonapin will help, maybe ask about upping the dose

Old 03-06-2006, 05:19 PM   #3
    pinkeetoz
    (female)

pinkeetoz HB User

Thanks for your post, I was really needing some reassurance right about now, anyone else?

Old 03-06-2006, 05:24 PM   #4
    dwallech
    (female)

dwallech HB User

Good evening,
    I was put on lexapro, but my anxiety kept increasing, in short, I found out I could not take any type SSRI medicine. Just be careful and aware of your symptoms as there are a lot of side effects. Just listen to your body, if it gets a lot of anxiety, please contact your doctor as a precaution. hope this helps

Old 03-06-2006, 05:28 PM   #5
    pinkeetoz
    (female)

pinkeetoz HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dwallech
    Good evening,
    I was put on lexapro, but my anxiety kept increasing, in short, I found out I could not take any type SSRI medicine. Just be careful and aware of your symptoms as there are a lot of side effects. Just listen to your body, if it gets a lot of anxiety, please contact your doctor as a precaution. hope this helps
    Thank you so much for posting. I was able to take ssri's for the past ten years, including Lexapro about a year ago. Why in the world would I not be able to take it now? Have taken prozac, paxil before as well. Tried those again recently and they caused anxiety as well. May I ask why you're not able to take ssri's? Has a doc given you an explanation? Thank you so much, pinkee

Old 03-06-2006, 06:22 PM   #6
    fusionqueen
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

fusionqueen HB Userfusionqueen HB Userfusionqueen HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pinkeetoz
    Thank you so much for posting. I was able to take ssri's for the past ten years, including Lexapro about a year ago. Why in the world would I not be able to take it now? Have taken prozac, paxil before as well. Tried those again recently and they caused anxiety as well. May I ask why you're not able to take ssri's? Has a doc given you an explanation? Thank you so much, pinkee

Just FYI for me.........I was on Celexa......worked great ...........stopped it........hve tried numerous times and I get so paniced and anxious I have to stop taking it.....My dr said this happens with some SSRI meds..........your body chemistry just can not tolerate it anymore. Let me know what works out for you.

Best Wishes!

Old 03-07-2006, 05:47 AM   #7
    marys62
    (female)

marys62 HB User

I was on Lexapro a few years back then went off. I started it again about a year ago and had horrible anxiety and hot flashes for the first 2 weeks then I felt fine. Give it some time since it takes some time to work. I stayed on it for almost 1 year then went off because it made me very tired and I gained almost 15 pounds. I am fine now, no anxiety, and have lost most of the weight. You don't have to be on it forever - just long enough to do the trick!

mary

Old 03-07-2006, 05:54 AM   #8
    fusionqueen
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

fusionqueen HB Userfusionqueen HB Userfusionqueen HB User

I wish forever was not the case for me..........I ahve had anxiety and panic since I was 5...........I have tried to jsut take Benzo's and I am a total mess. I think this will be a life long thing for me. My daughter is 11 and has panic, anxiety and OCD. They say you have OCD for life........atleast that is what 2 dr's and a counsleor told us. OCD is new to me..............If only there was a cure for this stuff!

Old 03-07-2006, 06:08 AM   #9
    TweetyKay01
    (female)

TweetyKay01 HB User

Yes, I was on Lexapro 5mg also and it actually made me feel worse. I think it was the side effects but it made me feel extremely drowsy and very tense.

Closed Thread