It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Xanax withdrawel

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-08-2006, 05:02 AM   #1
    rjm1963
    (male)

rjm1963 HB User
    Xanax withdrawel

Xanax withdrawel
    I take O.5 milligrams of xanax 4x daily for severe anxiety. There have been times that I run out before my script can be filled again , and once I lost the remainder of about 45 pills. I went through withdrawals and my Doctor of course would not re-prescribe until my due date.
    My problem is this: When I go through withdrawal I can smell a very strange odor that no-one else can smell, It is difficult to describe but I will try..
    The odor is sort of like a pungent,flowery,yeast like,stale and rotting odor-
    (almost like sulphur) . I first thought there had been something sprayed near my home but I found out it wasn't that. No one else notices this odor. When I have the Xanax back in my system for a few days I don't smell this odor. This has nothing do with my hygene, I am extremely clean.
    I wasn't diagnosed for many years for my anxiety disorder and sometimes cannot leave my house when I don't have the xanax. I wonder if anyone has ever had the experience of smelling strange odors when going through withdrawal ?
    Anyone can reply to this at my regular email addy
    [email]REMOVED[/email].
    Thanks for any input about my question

Please read the posting rules which explain that offering or asking off board contact is not permitted. The boards are to be used for on board sharing, only. The email and private message features are turned off so that use of the message boards remain anonymous. The only contact you may make with members is to post on the board.

Last edited by moderator2; 03-08-2006 at 06:51 AM. Reason: Please honor your membership agreement.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2006, 08:01 AM   #2
    anxietysucks
    (female)

anxietysucks HB User
    Re: Xanax withdrawel

Hi, I don't know how long you've been taking Xanax (maybe you mentioned), anyway I was at 1 1/2 mgs. a day for 3 years when I went CT. All I can tell you is the smell, taste, tremors, brain shocks, thick tongue, lack of sleep (and I do mean NO SLEEP FOR THREE DAYS) - all of this I felt, and I do mean I felt it, until I got back on my Xanax. I wish you the best and really have nothing to offer but my best wishes and sympathy. I know how uncomfortable it is to WD C/T.

Guess that's why its unanimous not to go C/T. Learned now, will never do it again. I'll keep you in my thoughts.

Old 03-08-2006, 10:17 AM   #3
    JoeD617
    (male)

JoeD617 HB User

I've been on xanax since 1983 I was taking 1mg 3 times a day. I weened myself down to .50 I also use to run out at first until I explained to the Dr. I had him increase the dose to 1mg again 3 times a day and broke them in half. The co-pay was the same and I got twice as much. I have never heard of the symptoms that you have with smelling. What I did have and noticed that when out of the xanax I'd have a full blown panic attack. I use to carry those pills with me everywhere and if I forgot them I'd have a panic attack just thinking that if I got a panic attack and had no xanax I'd freak out, My heart would race, I'd sweat it felt like my throat was closing up and I'd get sensitive to noise noticing all the sounds around me and I would get overwhelmed <sp> Just think of it having a panic attack over having a panic attack who would have guessed. I have taught myself to control my breathing and meditate also and this helped. I cut out coffee, most sugars and soft drinks. I hope this helps you, I know the suffering we have to go through.
    PS: I was hospitalized for a week before I knew I had panic disorder because I was self medicating <drinking> taking long hot baths to relax until that stopped working and I went to the ER room and the Dr there knew I had this problem. I returned to him after a month of being on xanax and went in and shook his hand and thanked him. He said I was the 1st person that ever came back to thank him and to this day he still remembers me

Old 03-08-2006, 08:27 PM   #4
    rjm1963
    (male)

rjm1963 HB User

First of all I'd like to aplogize for my inappropriate post in this forum. I have EXTREME anxiety and It is even sometimes difficult for me to read let alone concentrate long or hard enough to realize what i'm doing/not doing.
    Also to those who had answers for me, than you so much. I really thought I lost my last marble....
    Good luck to all and thanks again.
    Rj

Old 03-08-2006, 09:29 PM   #5
    cagedbird
    (female)

cagedbird HB User

I take Neurontin (Park davis) & Clonazepam (generic Klonopin). My insurance at one time instesd of giving me Neurontin,decided to give me generic form made by Ivax. Well the generic was so weak it didn't do a thing for me. After 2 day's of taking it I began smelling burning electrical wires! The smell was sicking,and I was the only one smelling it for days! So yes to your question,withdrawals did the same to me your not alone on this.

cagedbird

Old 03-09-2006, 08:19 AM   #6
    rjm1963
    (male)

rjm1963 HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Xanax withdrawel

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cagedbird
    I take Neurontin (Park davis) & Clonazepam (generic Klonopin). My insurance at one time instesd of giving me Neurontin,decided to give me generic form made by Ivax. Well the generic was so weak it didn't do a thing for me. After 2 day's of taking it I began smelling burning electrical wires! The smell was sicking,and I was the only one smelling it for days! So yes to your question,withdrawals did the same to me your not alone on this.
    cagedbird
    Hi and thank you for also confirming this weird smell. Now that I think of it it does smell like burning wires. I really thought I was losing it when no-one else could smell what I was smelling. When I do run out of xanax early it takes at least a week for it to get back into my bloodstream. I have had so many setbacks in the last 15 years including some very traumatic things happen along the way. I have tried other meds, but xanax is the ONLY one that works. I sleep like a rock and wake refreshed. I self medicated for years (alcohol) which only added to my problems.
    I learned by my own research that alcohol lowers the blood sugar and can cause hypoglycaemia. I drank daily becasue I thought it was the only thing that kept me going, it was a vicious circle to say the least.
    I wasnt properly diagnosed until 3 years ago and I tried paxil ,zoloft, buspar, clonipine and about 3-4 differant meds before my doctor gave me the xanax THANK GOD....
    I hope your doing well with your program whatever it may be. Not very many people can understand what anxiety is, let alone how dibilitating it can be.
    Good luck and thanks again
    RJ

Last edited by rjm1963; 03-09-2006 at 08:23 AM.

Closed Thread