It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Depersonalisation Syndrome ?? derealization, anyone ever been through this?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-11-2006, 06:01 PM   #1
    ontheedge16
    (female)

ontheedge16 HB User
    Depersonalisation Syndrome ?? derealization, anyone ever been through this?

It's so scary I hate it soo much i think about it all the time. I get scared to get out the house. whenever i go to my boyfriends he wasnt me to walk to his friends house but i hate to i get so nervous cuz it feels like i'm not really there. I don't like going to the movies or the mall and to school cuz it feels so bad anyone feel like this and can i take meds for it???
    Please i need advice?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2006, 06:20 PM   #2
    Jess_Son
    (male)

Jess_Son HB User
    Re: Depersonalisation Syndrome ?? derealization, anyone ever been through this?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ontheedge16
    It's so scary I hate it soo much i think about it all the time. I get scared to get out the house. whenever i go to my boyfriends he wasnt me to walk to his friends house but i hate to i get so nervous cuz it feels like i'm not really there. I don't like going to the movies or the mall and to school cuz it feels so bad anyone feel like this and can i take meds for it???
    Please i need advice?
    I feel very out of body all the time - see my thread: "Is this Unusual?"

It's almost like I'm watching myself do things or dreaming them.
    Or I get the feeling that I've done it before in exactly the same way.

I was prescribed paxil for anxiety - but it didn't help me.

I was also in therapy for a while but it also didn't help.

I haven't had any treatment beyond this.

You're not alone. Though I'm not sure if I have "Depersonalisation Syndrome".
    I've actually not heard much about it.

Old 03-11-2006, 06:46 PM   #3
    ontheedge16
    (female)

ontheedge16 HB User

well thats one thing that it mite be but i just know the feeling we are expieriencing is called Derelization. We have to overcome i hate it. I'm in 16 and i need to expierience my life like I used to. If one med doesn't work try another. This one girl said prozac helped for her. This feeling suksm i hate it!
    lets stick together on this ok.
    I need a friend who feels this way, i hate being alone with this.
    KIP
    Rose

Old 03-11-2006, 10:25 PM   #4
    SteveGn
    (male)

SteveGn HB User

Ontheedge and Jess_son, The only time I've experienced the "derealization" is during a panic attack which means alot of other symptoms are happening at the same time. I have a question or two. Is your anxiety the sole result of not wanting the derealization or did the derealization begin only after you had experienced anxiety for other reasons? If your anxiety is only because of not wanting the derealization, what do you feel this derealization state would feel like if you had no concerns about it? Have you had any moments when you just said to yourself, "I'm not going to concern myself with this, I'm just going to relax and not resist". If so, did it cause you to feel any differently...more relaxed. Thanks, Steve

Old 03-11-2006, 11:58 PM   #5
    Jess_Son
    (male)

Jess_Son HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SteveGn
    Ontheedge and Jess_son, The only time I've experienced the "derealization" is during a panic attack which means alot of other symptoms are happening at the same time. I have a question or two. Is your anxiety the sole result of not wanting the derealization or did the derealization begin only after you had experienced anxiety for other reasons? If your anxiety is only because of not wanting the derealization, what do you feel this derealization state would feel like if you had no concerns about it? Have you had any moments when you just said to yourself, "I'm not going to concern myself with this, I'm just going to relax and not resist". If so, did it cause you to feel any differently...more relaxed. Thanks, Steve

The first time I ever experienced derealization was at a late night diner with friends. I was 17 years old. We had went out to talk/snack and it was supposed to be fun - but I began listening to the sound of the ovens/cooks/doorbell/buzzers and I felt sort of sweaty around my neck and hands. I ignored it (not ever having felt this before) and assumed I was sleepy. But as I sat there, the food arrived, and I realized that when I was picking it up and eating it - I couldn't feel anything or taste it. Then the next thing I know my friends are asking me what's wrong and say that I look ill.

I asked them how long they'd been asking me that because all three looked very concerned/all the joyous chitchat had stopped and I knew something was wrong by the look on their faces. I then began panicking. Immediately I assumed something was either wrong with the food/there was carbon monoxide in the restaurant/ or my friends had laced my food with something. I had never felt this type of strange paranoia before (ever) either. I raced to the restroom and immediately began washing my hands but I couldn't feel the water on them. They were tingling (my hands-) and felt like I had 30 layer thick gloves on and the water felt like jello. I didn't have time to ask "What's wrong with me?" or cry or even react - it was like I was moving at the speed of a trapped animal.

Coming back to the table, we left rapidly and for weeks I had the same type of dreamy/hazy type experiences that would evolve into panic after I realized I was into them. It's crucial to remember that I'm subconsciously intrigued , so to speak, when the derealization begins - so I don't necessarily "sense" it coming on. I could just be sitting here talking and then somewhere mid-sentence realize that I don't feel like I'm there at all and begin second guessing myself and others.

I eventually got into therapy because it escalated to a degree of which I was terrified to go to sleep - convinced that something was wrong with me or was about to happen as if I were being informed by something otherworldly.

The therapist told me that I had anxiety and it was common and we began treatment and psychotherapy along with medication.

I was in therapy for about two years and it never stopped.

The medication helped with depression - but not anxiety and certainly not with the derealization.

There are times when I have just let it run its course on me ("I'm just having an episode, breathe deep, it'll go back to normal") and it doesn't seem to bother me. But I'm 24 years old now and I still feel it every week.
    Sometimes every day of the week. Others not.
    No matter how much I breathe or yoga or pray or try exercises to aid in the relief.

I've not found a way to become settled with it and "Okay" with it and it's really effecting the general way I live my life. I'm not even sure what started it - it's like that night in the diner changed my entire life.

I've become more reclusive and anti-social (something I never was) in fear of having the episodes again - even though they happen in my own house.
    I can barely ride in cars and have stopped driving altogether. It's too surreal and makes me very very uncomfortable to the degree of wanting to jump out.
    I get days confused. I think an event on one day happened on the one I'm in and it could have been weeks prior. I have constant CONSTANT feelings of deja-vu and paranoia.
    I'm extremely untrustworthy even though I've said to myself 200 times that I know that no one is out to get to me. I can look a doctor in the eye and say, "I know that no one is out to get me - but in these moments, sometimes hours, I am convinced they are."

I actually feel like I am going crazy. Last year was pretty good.
    I had a few weeks every now and then of total relief - without therapy or meds.
    I felt good on my own. Little to no attacks...

But then it started back up.

I've began to fear that something more detrimental is wrong with me. Perhaps bipolar or schizophrenia. But then I've always heard that "If you think you're crazy, then you're not. Crazy people don't know they're crazy." However, I'm starting to doubt that saying.

Old 03-12-2006, 12:57 AM   #6
    MagicSunshine
    Inactive
    (female)

MagicSunshine HB User

Reading the things you are all saying takes me back many years, but who could forget those feelings anyway??

It came out of the blue when I was 19. I woke up in the middle of the nigh hyperventilating. I was staying the night at my parent's home because I needed help with my new baby. I had both of my girls and was divorced by the age of 19. (hhmm...could be the cause). My dad got up when he heard me running through the house. I had never hyperventalated before and I was terrorized. He managed to get me to lay down and slow my breathing. From then on my life was never the same.

During my visits to my psychiatrist, I was also Dx'd with depression. The Dr. put me on valium for anxiety and amiltriptyline for depression. Soon after that I started getting the feeling that things weren't real. Sounds were so loud. I explained it as "hearing too well). I only went out when I had to. The moving of a car seemed to make things worse. I wasn't sure if it was the car or me that wasn't real. I couldn't look out the windows at all. The only way I could sleep at night is if my dad was sitting by my bed. I felt so guilty because my mom was watching my kids all the time. The love I had for them was so deep and I couldn't take care of them. Finally, I ended up in bed. I didn't eat for three weeks but I did drink water and juice. I had a brother and sister still at home and I felt I was tearing the whole family up, although, no one evrer complained. Finally, I was hospitalized and was on the psychiatric ward for a month. It was actually a good experience and I saw a therapist every single day. One that ward the patients didn't lay in bed. We got up, made our beds, took showers, and went to the day room for meals.

When I was released, I felt much better. No more depersonalization or surreal feelings. Things went well for a little while and then my depression surfaced and that's something that stayed. The anxiety still bothers me once in a while. I am now on xanax for it, but depression seems to be the battle I fight daily now. I was just put on lexapro and still on 200mg's of amiltriptyline, also.

I wish everyone well in their search for a healthy and happy life. Take Care...Connie

Old 03-12-2006, 11:04 AM   #7
    V_dubgurl
    Veteran
    (female)

V_dubgurl HB User

Sometimes I feel as if i want to be checked in also just for a vaca!! No one really understands what us anxiety sufferers go through to get through a normal day! And when you try to explain it there like OH! LOL.. I don't have any children yet. And I do want them badly. Im just scared to death that my anxiety will take away from it all.

Old 03-13-2006, 08:55 PM   #8
    Happy Days
    (female)

Happy Days HB User

I have experienced this condition and sometimes I would also have a panic attack along with this feeling. For me it usually happened while I was out around a lot of people like at the mall, theater, restaurant, etc. It was like my body was there but I felt almost as if I was not in sync with my body.

There are medications that can help specifically for anxiety. I am currently taking Ativan and I haven't had any panic attacks in over a year and my anxiety is under control. There are also different breathing techniques and exercises that you can try if you don't want the medications. I would definitely see a psychiatrist about the problem. It feels awful when you feel like you are not in control of your own body.

Last edited by Happy Days; 03-13-2006 at 08:56 PM.

Old 03-14-2006, 05:31 AM   #9
    tnmomofive
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tnmomofive HB User

yeah the feeling sucks I used to get derealization all the time spent a year that way along with other things.The worst is when you do not expect it to happen just going about your business and WHAM there it is like a ton of bricks sometimes id also get dizzy with it was having dinner out one day for my husbands dads b-day had alot of his family there and it hit me then his step mother was staring at me like I was nuts or something I just said sorry I do not feel good and walked outside

Last edited by tnmomofive; 03-14-2006 at 05:32 AM.

Closed Thread