It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• severe anxiety NEED ADVICE!!!!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-14-2006, 07:14 AM   #1
    kw123
    Veteran
    (female)

kw123 HB User
    severe anxiety NEED ADVICE!!!!!!

when i hear people on lots of meds for severe anxiety what do you mean? what symptoms do you get? HOW LONG TO YOU FEEL BAD? iM NOT ON ALOT OF MEDS BUT I FEEL LIKE I SHOULD BE. PLEASE SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCES. I NEED TO KNOW IF MY ANXIETY IS SEVERE BECAUSE I DO NEED MEDS.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2006, 07:38 AM   #2
    tnmomofive
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tnmomofive HB User
    Re: severe anxiety NEED ADVICE!!!!!!

To me severe is when you are finding it very difficult to cope with it all and cannot seem to take care of your day to day responsibilities etc because of the anxiety and you have tried other options like therapy,self help books etc with little or no help from them.I have been this way several times in my life and my doctor gave me anti anxity meds which helped me loads but realize that not all of them work for everyone and most will have a side effect or two at least at frst until they have a chance to work well.So if you take meds the first one you try may be great for you but may not you might have to try a few different ones.Once you are ready to wean off the meds expect to feel some withdrawl but if you go slowly it usualy isnt that bad.Even if you go to meds if you are not in therapy yet I sugesst you get that as well.

Old 03-14-2006, 01:04 PM   #3
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

valium type and prozac type meds are generally the most helpful for anxiety

Old 03-14-2006, 03:13 PM   #4
    SRMom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SRMom HB User

kw123...maybe you could tell us your symptoms and what meds you are on.

My anxiety (when it is severe) causes my heart to race, palpitations, constant worry, muscle tension, headaches, trouble sleeping, wanting to stay home and not be as social, sometimes a little paranoid about what other people think, my temper is short or I cry easily, feelings of derealization leading to panic attacks...and I'm sure more, but that's what I can think of right now.

All of these things make it difficult to function in life and there have been times when I have gone to the doctor for help. I've tried many antidepressants and they all caused more problems, for me, than solutions. Right now, I'm okay and only take an occasional Xanax for my anxiety...but there have been times in my life when I was in bad shape and needed more medication. I try to keep my life uncomplicated, only take on jobs that I know I can handle, I try to resolve any conflicts as soon as possible so I don't brood about them, and I use deep breathing techniques to relax.

Also, don't forget some of these things can be related to hormonal changes with menstruation and for some women, anxiety can be helped by things like birth control pills.

If you could tell us what you are experiencing (since everyone is different) maybe we could be of more help.

Last edited by SRMom; 03-14-2006 at 03:16 PM.

Closed Thread