It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Antidepressants cause anxiety?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-14-2006, 12:35 PM   #1
    pinkeetoz
    (female)

pinkeetoz HB User
    Antidepressants cause anxiety?

Anyone have antidepressants cause anxiety? I've taken all of the ssri's over the years with no problems. Recently, had alot of problems with anxiety so the doc tried prozac, day 5 had to stop, anxiety worsened. Tried zoloft next, same thing, now, I'm trying Lexapro, which I've taken before and it seems to be doing the same thing. Upped it to 15mg this morning hoping to help with my depression and my anxiety was so bad that I had to take a klonopin. Can anyone relate, if so, please do so, thank you, God bless, pinkeetoz

Last edited by pinkeetoz; 03-14-2006 at 12:36 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2006, 12:39 PM   #2
    bubabaxx
    (male)

bubabaxx HB User
    Re: Antidepressants cause anxiety?

I am no such an expert in that area but maybe over the years your body is becomed overdosed ,so instead of taking pills,why not try going or doing something that would clear up your mind.Just in case I am sending you an usefull link related with your problem so see it if you want:{REMOVED}

{Don't post website links, read and follow the posting rules. Ms_Mod}

best regards
    buba

Last edited by ms_mod; 03-14-2006 at 01:11 PM.

Old 03-14-2006, 01:00 PM   #3
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

the ADs you mention are all prozac type, if the lex doesnt work you should try some other type such as effexor or mirtazepine which may suit you better
    all ADs can be expected to make anxiety worse at first, it helps to start at a low dose, about a quarter of the smallest effective dose ( split the tablet)and work up, I suspect your doc doesnt know this, many dont
    benzos always help when starting an AD

Old 03-14-2006, 01:03 PM   #4
    pinkeetoz
    (female)

pinkeetoz HB User

Thanks guys, I've also been on effexor, like I said, tried them all. Maybe you're right, both of you, not sure which though! Will definitly go back down on the Lexapro to 10mg. Like I said though, I've done all of this, all of the ssri's and bumped up the mg to a high enough dose where it took care of my depression, everything was fine. Why the change now. {REMOVED}any feed back appreciated, pinkeetoz

{Don't respond to posts or parts of posts that are in violation of the board rules. Ms_Mod}

Last edited by ms_mod; 03-14-2006 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Don't respond to posts or parts of posts that violate the board rules. Ms_Mod

Old 03-14-2006, 01:05 PM   #5
    pinkeetoz
    (female)

pinkeetoz HB User

By the way, I"m also weaning from Remeron, any experience with this? I had anxiety before starting this med also. pinkeetoz

Old 03-14-2006, 01:14 PM   #6
    ms_mod

ms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB User

Please read and follow all of the posting rules.
    Don't post website links and don't respond to parts of posts that are in violation of the board rules.

Ms_Mod

Old 03-14-2006, 01:32 PM   #7
    V_dubgurl
    Veteran
    (female)

V_dubgurl HB User

Thats how it was for me. I can't take antidepressants cause the side effects are far worse then the anxiety itself. I have learned how to cope somewhat. Its crazy how bad they make you feel at first. I felt so suicidal when I was on them. It scared me cause I know I want to live. I could stay on them for more then 3 days.

Old 03-14-2006, 03:55 PM   #8
    pinkeetoz
    (female)

pinkeetoz HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by V_dubgurl
    Thats how it was for me. I can't take antidepressants cause the side effects are far worse then the anxiety itself. I have learned how to cope somewhat. Its crazy how bad they make you feel at first. I felt so suicidal when I was on them. It scared me cause I know I want to live. I could stay on them for more then 3 days.

But see, there's a difference with us. I took the different ssri's for about ten years and they worked fine. Why would they react so differently with me now? V, post back, thks, pinkeetoz

Old 03-14-2006, 04:09 PM   #9
    jkobeck
    (male)

jkobeck HB User

I have found CELEXA caused no anxiety for me....HAve you tried that?

Old 03-14-2006, 04:13 PM   #10
    pinkeetoz
    (female)

pinkeetoz HB User

I think Celexa is a slightly different version of Lexapro and thats what I'm on. Have you tried other ssri's that have made you anxious? Thanks so much for your post, pinkeetoz

Old 03-14-2006, 04:16 PM   #11
    ruby-red
    (female)

ruby-red HB User

Hi pinkee
    I dont really know why they stop working or the anxiety worsens, I do believe tho that if you concentrate on anxiety it really does consume you more.
    I couldnt take prozac, and a few others, but now have an old a/d and take valium when needed.
    Hope you find the right drugs to help
    Ruby

Old 03-14-2006, 04:27 PM   #12
    pinkeetoz
    (female)

pinkeetoz HB User

Ruby, I know that you're probably right. The more you obsess with trying not to have anxiety, the more you have it. Would you mind if I asked which AD you were finally able to take, God bless, pinkeetoz

Last edited by pinkeetoz; 03-14-2006 at 04:27 PM.

Old 03-14-2006, 04:41 PM   #13
    ruby-red
    (female)

ruby-red HB User

Dioxepin ( Anten 10 ) I only take 10 mgs and doc laugs as she says you can take up to 185 mg or more, but it works for me, I used to be agoraphobic, so have tried alot over the years, this takes away the teary feeling and anxiousness in the morning, still take valium when needed but I swear by them, I had a rough time on prozac,,trip to hospital so was anxious just trying these, but I feel great.
    Ruby

Old 03-14-2006, 06:38 PM   #14
    comeandrelax
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

comeandrelax HB User

im on paxil cr and the side effects suck but they go away after a while of taking them....so its just like going through a storm before sweet sweet calm sun rise.....as ive been told. i hate the side effects but its better than having anxiety forever with no help. its better knowing that you doing something about it. and if you ease off them at the right speed you will be fine. just like anything else.....smoking for one.

Old 03-15-2006, 07:47 AM   #15
    fusionqueen
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

fusionqueen HB Userfusionqueen HB Userfusionqueen HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pinkeetoz
    Anyone have antidepressants cause anxiety? I've taken all of the ssri's over the years with no problems. Recently, had alot of problems with anxiety so the doc tried prozac, day 5 had to stop, anxiety worsened. Tried zoloft next, same thing, now, I'm trying Lexapro, which I've taken before and it seems to be doing the same thing. Upped it to 15mg this morning hoping to help with my depression and my anxiety was so bad that I had to take a klonopin. Can anyone relate, if so, please do so, thank you, God bless, pinkeetoz
    Hello, I have the SAME problem.........My Dr explained it as your receptors become sensitive/immune to the med and you won't be able to take it again with the same results.This happened to me with Celexa and I have tried a dozen times over the last couple years to take it again and my anxiety and mood is unbearable and it does not wear off..... I am taking a VERY small amount of Cymbalta right now and that is helping aside of the weight gain!! Some Dr will agree some won't I can only tell you how it is with my body...........Oh and Paxil was the same way after 3 years on it.....it quit and have tried is several times with no luck.
    Best wishes!

Closed Thread