It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• can anxiety attacks cause chemical imbalance?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-17-2006, 08:27 PM   #1
    comeandrelax
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

comeandrelax HB User
    can anxiety attacks cause chemical imbalance?

im asking cause 6 months ago i had a period of 3 days in a row i had really bad anxiety attacks. ive had them since high school.....but i went about a years without them and then after a bad job interview an hour away from home and it being 100 degrees outside and i was lost....i had a bad anxiety attack. then the next day with another stressful situation i had another one that left me completely exausted....ever have those? i got home and i was done...a friend of mine was over and asked me....are you ok? you look beat. it was bad....but it went away and the next day i was starting to get anxious about having anxiety and i did. so finally everything i was stressing over was done and i went to sleep and i woke up feeling off. lightheaded and alittle out of it....but nothing too bad. the next day it was alittle worse so i went to the doctor and he thought maybe blood pressure. then saw another doctor and said possibly inner ear thing.

so i went for all the tests......you name it i had it. all normal. some i needed to have done anyways. i been down all the roads with nothing. its just everyday for six months has been just hell. these are my symptoms

1. tired almost all the time
    2. anxoius always. need to be playing with something or chewing gum or something to keep me busy
    3. lightheaded just out of it feeling (always!)
    4. kind of dizzy.....not spinning dizzy or needing to hold on to something dizzy....just like the floor kinda moves alittle as i walk sometimes....or my head feels like its moving back and forth on the inside alot
    5. im always scared that im going ot be like this forever or that its going to ruin my life
    6. im in a band and im the lead singer and guitar player and i sometimes have to stop playing cause of it....sometimes playing makes me feel better
    7. my ears kinda feel like they have to pop. not all the time...just sometimes. like afdter i chew gum or something. also my jaw kinda hurts but i thinks thats from chewing gum all the time. it goes away after i stop for a while

do you think those anxiety attacks could have set off a chemical imbalance thats making me feel this way? im started SSRI treatment for anxiety
    Paxil CR......which is what i was told is the number one prescribed one. i heard paxil was kinda iffy but i was told that Paxil CR is new and diffrent....i hope so.

im having a few little side effects from it but was told to expect them in the 1st couple weeks. hope it helps. any advice? sorry for the long post!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2006, 09:37 PM   #2
    deadsy
    (female)

deadsy HB User
    Re: can anxiety attacks cause chemical imbalance?

I don't think it's the anxiety attacks that cause a chemical imbalance... but the chemical imbalance that cause tha anxiety attacks. I too suffer from anxiety and panic attacks. I grew up in a family that was against taking anti-depressants so all of my life I kind of just felt like it was just the way life is and was going to be. It wasn't until I started a very stressful job that I decided enough was enough, and talked to my dr. about it. She prescribed me Zoloft.. and I took that for about a year. It worked wonders! I never felt so good in my life. Unfortunately my insurance didn't cover that drug and it was very expensive... so at the beginning of this year I started taking Paxil. So far I have had very good results with this as well! I also heard mixed things about it in the beginning... but it was either this or live the other way... and well, this is much better. The only thing I worry about is having to take this for the rest of my life. I tried to stop taking Zoloft once and I was having such bad anxiety and withdrawl symptoms... I got very scared. So yeah... anyway, sorry for going off on a tangent.. LOL... but I just wanted to let you know that I totally feel for you.. and wanted to share with you my experiences with Paxil. The only side affects I believe I have experienced are weight gain <sigh> and intense dream (or nightmares). But overall I am pleased.
    Well, Good luck on your journey... I hope you are able to find some relief from the Paxil. Take care

-deadsy-

Old 03-17-2006, 09:41 PM   #3
    comeandrelax
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

comeandrelax HB User

thank you!! were you at all dizzy or lightheaded before taking this? im on week two and just upped the dose. 1st time i took it i felt real weird the next day and got easier the time cam when i took two and i was nervous but it wasn't so bad. now im noticing weird leg twitches. just out of nowhere. maybe its just anxiety. thanks for the responce

Old 03-18-2006, 06:05 AM   #4
    tnmomofive
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tnmomofive HB User

Yes for some anxiety disorders are caused by a chemical imblance in the brain.I myself think there is alot to that there is mental illness on both my moms side and my dads alot of depression,bipolar stuff a childhood doctor of my moms told my grandmother my mom was born bi polar she was just not like the average baby.Anyway yeah I think there is truth to the chemical imbalance some people have tried everything and still suffer greatly with anxiety

Last edited by tnmomofive; 03-18-2006 at 06:08 AM.

Old 03-18-2006, 09:31 AM   #5
    battling on
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

battling on HB User

Hiya
    i have no doughts anxiety causes a chemical change
    Anxiety is something that goes OTT if the flight system is over producing Cortisol.
    This is tested with a 24 hour urine sample

If frontal Lobe is damage this can also cause problems.

jules xx

Old 03-18-2006, 05:19 PM   #6
    deadsy
    (female)

deadsy HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by comeandrelax
    were you at all dizzy or lightheaded before taking this?
    Yes my experiences with anxiety/panic attacks included being very dizzy and light headed... especially when I was experiencing extreme anxiety. I would also get very nauseated and feel liked I just needed to sit down. It's a terrible feeling, but paxil has really helped with this.

<deadsy>

Old 03-18-2006, 05:47 PM   #7
    comeandrelax
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

comeandrelax HB User

yeah i get that too....though im lightheaded and idzzy almost all the time. its like im having a low grade anxiety attack all the time and then its gets worse andbetter through the day. did you have it almost constant?

Closed Thread