It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Lexapro for Anxiety and other symptoms

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-12-2006, 06:24 PM   #1
    iluvmydog66
    Inactive
    (female)

iluvmydog66 HB User
    Lexapro for Anxiety and other symptoms

Hi ~

I have been seeing a psychiatrist since October. I was married very briefly to a man who turned out to be an alcoholic, I did not realize this before we married and we were together 3 years before we married.

The first 7 months of marriage were VERY traumatic for me. I suffered a great deal of emotional and mental abuse. I moved out - and encouraged him to get treatment. He did yet continued to drink. I found him drunk all the time - while I lived elsewhere.

It turned out he began to stalk me at work and was arrested in the parking lot for DWI, open alcohol in car and harassment. They also found a gun in his office where he works. I have a restraining order against him and have since divorced him.

I don't know if others experience this - but the aftermath is worse then when I was living with him!!!! I feel worse and worse. I began Zoloft (and Ambien to help me sleep) back in October, but came off in February because I cracked a tooth and the dentist/endodontist thought the grinding was from the Zoloft.

Anxiety (which then causes depression) has only increased now. My doctor said I am the worst he has ever seen me. And I have TMD (tempomandibular joint disorder) and most of the time my jaw feels like it is in a VICE. It is so uncomfortable. I get relief at night and feel okay in the AM but as the day progresses my muscles in my jaw spasm and tighten up - docs say this is due to anxiety. I have also lost a considerable amount of weight.

I am now trying Lexapro - just began. Doctor said to start at 5 mgs for the first few days and then go up to 10mg. I am hoping it will help with my anxiety - which I just can't seem to control. It seems subconsious - all I feel are the physical symptoms of my tension and uptight feelings.

Has anyone had these symptoms and gotten some relief from Lexapro?

Thks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2006, 06:37 PM   #2
    tnmomofive
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tnmomofive HB User
    Re: Lexapro for Anxiety and other symptoms

Well im bad for the tension stuff too.I subconsciously will clentch my teeth days at time which of course causes my jaws and teeth to ache.Also my shoulders and all that stuff.Anyway,I used to take Lexapro for several months 25mg and yes it did helped alot took about 2 months before it kicked in real good.

Old 04-12-2006, 07:13 PM   #3
    CAK70
    (female)

CAK70 HB User

I started Lexapro on April 4 and so far I have seen more better days then bad...I was 5 full days without Xanax which is very good for me. I also take Ambien to help me sleep. I have had a couple of side effects from the Lexapro...lightheadedness and I seem to be more tired than normal but other then that I am coping fairly well. I know I can't speak for a seasoned user of Lexapro but I am started to feel a little better. Before I started Lexapro I was grinding my teeth at night...my jaw hurt so bad I couldn't open my mouth all of the way...I couldn't even enjoy a yawn when I was tired but all of this is now getting better with each passing day and as simple as it may seem to someone who does not have the problem, I am finally able to enjoy my yawns

My meds are:

10mg Lexapro
    .25 mg Alprazolam (Xanax) when needed
    10mg of Ambien when needed to sleep (but I cut them in half and it works just the same)

I too, most of the time only feel the physical symptoms...I hardly ever get the anxious feeling...my most prominent symptom is constantly being aware of my heart beating...pounding at times...racing at others.

As I said I have only been on the Lexapro for 9 days but I am already starting to slowly see results. My doctor said to give it full month before making any decisions...so I wait patiently, praying for the best.

Old 04-13-2006, 06:48 AM   #4
    iluvmydog66
    Inactive
    (female)

iluvmydog66 HB User

Thanks for sharing and the replies!! Keep you all posted!

Old 04-26-2006, 07:17 PM   #5
    mylighthouse
    (female)

mylighthouse HB User

Hi LuvMyDog 66 (I love my dog too ),

I can really identify with you. I too, went through a bad marriage and my ex husband sounds a lot like yours. After I divorced, my anxiety and depression increased. I didn't know how to handle dealing with my ex husband when I saw him weekly (when he got the kids). I divorced almost 7 years ago and I've been happily married for 3 years.

I think I've always had an anxiety disorder, but I'm just now admitting it. I have a childhood background of abuse that I only remember little bits of. As I'm getting older (I'm 35), I'm having health/emotional problems more frequently. My husband has been sick and other things have been going on in my life. I'm learning that I haven't handled relationship problems very well in the past. Whenever something bad would happen, I would just ignore it and push it down or make excuses for other people. I think that part of my anxiety is contributed to the fact that I'm actually facing past fears as well as new problems and fears head-on. It is hard! I don't want to go off into detail on all of my anxieties here.

I mainly want to tell you that it is easiest to just think about today. Take one day at a time. That's what I'm trying to do.

As for the Lexapro--I've been on it for a few weeks. I'm taking 20mg....I started on 10 mg. I thought it was helping me, but today I just broke down and started crying my eyes out for half an hour. Two hours later I was making my family laugh. I also have TMJ--was diagnosed with it years ago, and deal with daily popping and pain from one side of my jaw. The Lexapro hasn't helped that relax yet. It also hasn't helped with leg pain at night, nor have Rozerem or Ambien CR helped me sleep.

That's where I'm at. I sure do wish you and everyone here the best.

Closed Thread