It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Citalopram

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-27-2006, 01:53 AM   #1
    Jeff487
    (male)

Jeff487 HB User
    Unhappy Citalopram

I've been taking Citalopram for 11 days now (today will be day 12), but I feel that I just don't want to take it. I've been taking Ranitidine for stomach problems for about 5 1/2 weeks now, and my problems also caused some anxiety and worry. However, my stomach problems have been improving, though not 100%. I posted about that in the Digestive section. I feel that I could probably combat the anxiety by myself without medication. Anyway, I've had a good pattern of going to the toilet every morning for a while now (after having some constipation problems originally) but I've noticed that it's been staggering the last few days, and I'm unable to go less and less amounts - Only which I can assume is caused by the Citalopram, since constipation is a side-effect. My question is, if I come off it, how shall I do it after only 11 days? Shall I cut them in half, and take 5mg for a few days, or what? I don't want to get any sudden onset of problems after stopping them.

Ty!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2006, 08:05 AM   #2
    Punkdizzle
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Punkdizzle HB User
    Re: Citalopram

if that is the generic of celexa or lexapro its an antidepressant and i "think" you can just stop taking it since you have not been on it long at all.. but tapering down the way you mentioned isnt a problem if you feel safer doing it that way... and as always if in doubt call your DR and ask them what is the best way to stop taking it..

Last edited by Punkdizzle; 04-27-2006 at 08:07 AM.

Old 04-28-2006, 02:52 AM   #3
    daftthing
    (female)

daftthing HB User

Citalopram is the generic Celexa. I would highly suggest contacting your dr before you mess around with your meds. You are only a small dosage, but it's best to be safe than sorry.

Old 04-28-2006, 04:24 AM   #4
    musicarvind
    (male)

musicarvind HB User

I'd just like to clarify the name differences for citalopram. CItalopram is the drug name and is marketed as Celexa in the USA, CA and Europe if I am not mistaken. Citalopram is not a generic of Celexa. If you are in Asia, it is marketed as Cipram instead of Celexa. Both are the same drug though which is citalopram.
    My opinion to your case is to discuss with your doctor before coming off citalopram. you are close to when citalopram actually works. ie. 2 works after starting the drug.

Old 04-29-2006, 02:40 AM   #5
    jennymar
    (female)

jennymar HB User

I've been on Citalopram for about two months and it had changed my life. I've gone from panic attacks every day with pretty severe depression to almost completely feeling like my old self again. You might want to give it a chance. My mother and brother are doing well on it too. What works for one person may not work for someone else but this drug has been great for me and my family. All three of us have panic disorder. As for bathroom habits, I've been going back and forth between constipation and the runs. This may be unrelated to the medication though. I had digestive problems ( infection of the colon) when my downward spiral began. Not a very fun package to deal with.
    I hope things get better for you.

Closed Thread