It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Anyone Taking Lyrica?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-27-2006, 06:10 PM   #1
    schmoo47
    (female)

schmoo47 HB User
    Anyone Taking Lyrica?

I'm new here to the Anxiety Boards and like all of you, have an anxiety disorder. I take Remeron, Ativan and Buspar, which seems to control my anxiety fairly well. At my last doctor's visit, she brought up the medication Lyrica. It is made by Pfizer and is used for diabetic neuropathy and seizures. Lyrica is related to neurontin, but is stronger. My doctor stated that it now has been approved for use for anxiety disorders. I've looked up Lyrica on the internet and have mixed feelings about trying it and I was wondering if anyone is now taking it for anxiety. Thanks for your input.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2006, 02:00 AM   #2
    red-rider
    (female)

red-rider HB User
    Re: Anyone Taking Lyrica?

Dear schmoo~I heard another poster mention it briefly a while back. I googled it and like you~my feelings were mixed too. It is somewhat unsettling when a med for a serious physical ailment is used for anxiety/or/depression. And yet it is exciting to know that other non tradtional anxiety could help us and maybe not have all the side effects and the high cost. Last visit doc offered me Effexor samples and I inquired at Walgreens and was quoted $117 for 30 pills! I think that is SO expensive! Would it be possible to ask your doctor if she is treating other patients with Lyrica for anxiety and if it has been successful? I have a question for you too. I take 1mg of Ativan daily as a anxiety prevenitive. It works fairly well. My GP gave me Buspar and I filled it but never took it because I was afraid of the dizzy aspect. Do you take the Ativan with the Buspar? or space it out? and at what milligram. I would like to try the Buspar because it is very affordable. But I dont want to stop the Ativan. I want to take both but not sure how to begin?
    Thanx and good luck to you! RR

Old 04-28-2006, 11:24 AM   #3
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

if the remeron is reducing your anxiety, and sometimes it doesnt, I would rather up the dose, I am wary of all new meds

Old 04-28-2006, 06:40 PM   #4
    schmoo47
    (female)

schmoo47 HB User

Dear RR: Thanks for replying. In answer to your questions, the buspar has helped me tremendously for social anxiety, I don't seem to worry about situations like I used to and I'm not as panicky in the morning when I wake up. I've been on Ativan for years and have been taking 4 mg a day for quite a while. I'm only on a small dose of buspar; 5 mg in the morning and 7.5 mg at night. I take the nightly dose with the Ativan before bed as well as the Remeron. I've been taking buspar for approximately 1 1/2 years. I don't recall being really dizzy when I started on it, but I'm on a small dose. If I remember correctly, the usual daily dose is much higher than what I take. Good luck to you if you try the buspar. It has helped me. My next doctor's appointment is in July and I intend to ask her if any other of her patients are taking Lyrica and their results. I tend to shy away from change, especially since Lyrica is a new medication for anxiety.

Old 04-29-2006, 02:41 AM   #5
    red-rider
    (female)

red-rider HB User

Thanks for your reply schmoo. You have given me some hope after all! I too was given a small dose of Buspar~5mg~twice a day. I have wanted to try it for months but did not want to give up the Ativan. I am very encouraged by your success of taking it for over a year and also that you still take the Ativan like me. Next week I think I shall give it a go. How long was it before you noticed that it was starting to help? SSRI's are given to almost everyone these days and they are SO costly and often the side effects are unbearable. Older and less expensive meds are often overlooked. Newer does not equate better imo. Also~in my opinion,we who suffer from anxiety and or panic need our OWN meds that are made to target our specific problem rather than be forced to take an antidepressant when we are NOT depressed. I like to feel calm. When I am calm~therfore I feel "normal". How about you?
    best regards~RR

Old 04-29-2006, 02:13 PM   #6
    schmoo47
    (female)

schmoo47 HB User

Dear RR: I started feeling better in about one week, but it took a few weeks for the full effect to kick in. Your doctor must be a good one, as he/she put you on buspar instead of increasing your Ativan. Buspar is not as addicting as Ativan. And maybe the buspar will do the trick and you can eliminate the Ativan. I hope so. I agree with you about taking medications that are made solely for your condition (i.e. anxiety/depression). I suffer from slight depression, but my main problem is anxiety. It runs in my family on my father's side. I still have some bad days with anxiety, but not as bad as before. Good luck with the buspar and let me know how you are doing.
    Take care, Schmoo

Old 04-29-2006, 10:06 PM   #7
    bulletinboard25
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

bulletinboard25 HB User

Hey I just wanted to say that I have taken Lyrica and have anxiety problems. I actually had it prescribed by 2 different doctors... The first time it was prescribed to me was by a psychiatrist for anxiety... then about 6 months later a PM prescribed it for nerve pain. I believe it helped reduce my anxiety. Combined with the Ativan (I was taking Xanax), I feel Lyrica can really be beneficial.

I didn't experience any added side-effects from adding Lyrica.

It might be something to actually try if your Dr. thinks you should.

Old 04-30-2006, 02:03 AM   #8
    red-rider
    (female)

red-rider HB User

Thanks schmoo for all the info! I will report back and let you know how it goes.
    you take care too! RR

Old 09-05-2006, 02:41 PM   #9
    girlwitstyle
    (female)

girlwitstyle HB User

Hi there....
    I just found this thread. I too have just been prescribed Lyrica and am incredibly anxious (pardon the pun) to take it! I really hate taking any medication, especially medication like this.
    I am very worried about the weight gain as my weight has been a huge struggle for me over the last few years (after Paxil) and I have just lost 22 pounds and am scared to gain it again through Lyrica.
    I also heard alot of complaints of this drug making you feel out of it or drunk...
    anyone still having success? I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts.
    Also what dosage is everybody on? Did you see any weight gain? Is it increased appetite (I barely have appetite anyways so may be a blessing!) or water weight/bloating?

Cheers

Closed Thread