It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Starting and SSRI make anxiety worse?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-09-2006, 05:34 PM   #1
    pinkeetoz
    (female)

pinkeetoz HB User
    Starting and SSRI make anxiety worse?

I've been suffering terrible anxiety for three months now. I started lexapro about 7 weeks ago and I'm finding it to not be of much benefit. Probably because I took lexapro sometimes last year and it stopped working for me than, so I stopped it completely. Maybe it won't work for me again. Anyway, my doc started me at a very low level. Each time we moved the med dose up the anxiety worsened. One week ago we tried effexor xr, after the second day I was so anxious, my heart was racing, the doc told me to stop immediately. What I'm so confused about is this. For years I've taken differrent ssri's for major depression and anxiety and never felt this way at the begginning. Why would I be reacting this way to ssri's now? Will be going back to my doc in about three days and am thinking about asking for Paxil. (I've taken it before with no problems, but now, who knows) Can anyone share? Is paxil good for anxiety and depression? It's been a few years since I've taken it, but, I think it worked fairly well. Also, soooo tired of getting on a ssri, it works for a few months and than quits. Klonopin worked great for a while, but, I feel that it causes bad rebound anxiety. What am I supposed to do??? Please help, share your experiences please, ty, pinkee

Last edited by pinkeetoz; 05-09-2006 at 05:35 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2006, 10:21 PM   #2
    Therapeutic
    Inactive
    (male)

Therapeutic HB User
    Re: Starting and SSRI make anxiety worse?

I'm in the same boat, except I haven't tryed effexor yet, and I don't really want to. I got this new dr now since my old GP retired, and he wanted to try effexor on me, but i think it will just make my anxiety worse, since it states right on their website that effexor may increase heart beat. I've tryed Paxil in the past, and it worked a lot better than Lexapro (Ciraplex in Canada). I found that Paxil had much more harsher initial side effects though, but once you get through that, the Paxil works a lot better than Lexapro I find.. Paxil withdrawal can be hell though. I've tryed coming off it, and I felt like a terrible pass. Right now I'm on my last refill of Lexapro, and weaning off it slowly. Then I'm not sure what to do. As soon as I stop taking SSRI's, a few days to a week later, my anxiety comes back full blast. I've only tryed the two SSRI's, Paxil, and lexapro, been on Paxil twice, the lex once. Paxil seemed harder to start and harder to work the second time around though. Maybe benzo's will help until the paxil kicks in full blast, if I decide to go the paxil route again. I don't really know about these SNRI's. Effexor and Cymbalta? I think Cymbalta is not even out in Canada yet, so that leaves me just with effexor, prozac, luvox, and maybe remeron to try if paxil fails.

Not sure...

Anyway, best of luck to you.

Old 05-10-2006, 03:56 AM   #3
    Xtreme2k
    (male)

Xtreme2k HB User

Have you considered trying Zoloft?

Old 05-10-2006, 10:29 AM   #4
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

any valium type med taken as needed only will help a lot, but many docs have been brainwashed to prescribe antidepressants only
    valium also helps in getting used to any antidepressant

when you find an antidepressant that works for you, its very important to learn CBT coping skills, in order to cope with the anxiety if it comes back when you quit the AD

some say an antidepressant often doesnt work the second time around, its not known why

Closed Thread