It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Just prescribed Lexapro and SCARED!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-18-2006, 10:56 AM   #1
    Hammy5
    (female)

Hammy5 HB User
    Just prescribed Lexapro and SCARED!

I posted this in the depression board as well.

Hello,

I was just prescribed Lexapro and I am not sure that I even want to start taking it. I have been reading that it has caused a lot of people to gain weight and I am not willing to do that. My depression caused me to gain 25 pounds in a year and I am NOT going to gain anymore. I told my Dr. I wanted to be on Welbutrin but he suggested Lexapro. He told me that the most he ever hears anyone say is that it makes them sick to their stomach at first. He assured me that it would most likely not make me lose weight or have sexual side affects but I am reading that differently here as well. He told me that Welbutrin is not good for anxiety but I think that my anxiety is brought on by my depression. I am just a mess right now because I am not sure what to do! I am SO AFRAID to take this medication! Do you think I should call him and tell him I want to try Wellbutin first?

What experiance have you had with it?

Kristine

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2006, 11:34 AM   #2
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
    Re: Just prescribed Lexapro and SCARED!

all antidepressants are good for anxiety, none make you gain weight
    starting any antidepressant should be done gradually with say a quarter of the smallest effective dose the first week

I would dump that doc and go elsewhere, all docs are happy to prescribe antidepressants, often too happy, IMO
    I hope your doc doesnt benefit financially from prescribing lexapro

sadly its not possible to say how any person will react to a new antidepressant, you have to satrt and see what happens

some valium type meds help in getting used to any antidepressant, both go well together

{REMOVED}

Last edited by ms_mod; 05-18-2006 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Leave the moderating issues to the Moderators. Ms_Mod

Old 05-18-2006, 12:30 PM   #3
    across1
    (female)

across1 HB User

I have been taking Lexapro for almost three weeks now. I have been on several medicines in the past and this is the one I have tolerated the most. I know I always get anxiety before taking a new medicine. I am starting to realize it takes a lot of perseverance and patience with anxiety. You can go to {REMOVED}and they have information about it. It might calm your fears.

Last edited by ms_mod; 05-18-2006 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Please read and and follow the posting rules, don't post website addresses. Ms_Mod

Old 05-18-2006, 12:53 PM   #4
    ms_mod

ms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB User

Please read and follow all the posting rules.

Hammy5,

While your question may apply to several different boards, please only post your question on one board.
    The post on this board has more replies so the other thread was closed.

hry33,

There is no need for you to inform others of the posting rules, leave that to the Moderators.

across1,

Don't post website addresses.

Thank you all for your cooperation and understanding.

Ms_Mod

Old 05-18-2006, 05:41 PM   #5
    tmarie
    (female)

tmarie HB User

I was on lexapro for 2 years and did not gain weight.....

Old 05-18-2006, 06:00 PM   #6
    vo-5
    (female)

vo-5 HB User

I've been on Lexapro for two years now and I've gained 70 pounds this year alone. It may not be the Lexapro though because I just found out I have diabetes too.

Old 05-18-2006, 06:30 PM   #7
    lex jude
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lex jude HB User

I have been taking lexapro and depakote for a year now (for anxiety and PPD), and I have actually lost weight (which I was watching what I ate to lose some baby weight. I didn't lose it because I was sick to my stomach or anything). It doesn't make me sick, or dizzy or anything. I take half a tablet a day, at night time. It doesn't even make me drowsy.

For a while I was having sexual side effects, but it could be due to the fact that I have a baby and I am always tired LOL. Plus, I stopped taking depakote, and I haven't had that problem since. So it could have been that too. Who knows.

But my doctor told me that lexapro is the most tolerated med out there. I have no complaints.

Old 05-18-2006, 08:14 PM   #8
    all things
    (female)

all things HB User

I took Lexapro for 8 months, and although I didn't have any side effects, it did make me so apathetic that if you told me I was going to die later in the day, I'd say "Uh, okay". It was the weirdest feeling. Not suicidal, just ...eh.

Old 05-18-2006, 08:35 PM   #9
    NiceguyEddie
    (male)

NiceguyEddie HB User

I've been on Lexapro since last August. I would say that the potential for weight gain is possible, if you are not careful. I tend to crave sugary foods like cookies more since I've started the med, but this maybe my own subjective experience. My weight hasn't shot up like crazy, but I am slightly overweight and stable at my current weight.

Also, for me Lexapro works better for depression than anxiety. I take clonazepam (generic Klonopin) daily to compliment the Lexapro for anxiety.

Old 05-21-2006, 08:34 AM   #10
    CAK70
    (female)

CAK70 HB User

I have been on Lexapro for 2 months and I feel great. I did have a few side effects in the beginning but those are gone now along with my anxiety. I occasionally need a Xanax but if I take one every two weeks it is alot...I feel happier these days...I don't know if that is because the anixety is gone or if it is because Lexapro is an anti-depressant or both. I have not gained weight from it, in fact I think I have a lost a little since taking it because some of my stress is gone from feeling so good. I am 100% satisfied with Lexapro.

Old 05-21-2006, 02:39 PM   #11
    Mr. Jeff
    (male)

Mr. Jeff HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Just prescribed Lexapro and SCARED!

My doc finally talked me into trying Lexapro... SO GLAD I DID!!!
    After years and years of trying differnt meds for my anxiety and reluctant to be on SSRI like Lexapro mainly because of the sexual side effects. I have not gained any weight at all on the Lexapro, even though to me, that is a side effect I would like ( I'm a little to thin) You don't say if you are a male or female, I am a 45 yo male and unfortunately the sexual side effects are a MAJOR effect on me. Have not had a Libdo since I started taking it . However even that side effect is well worth all the benifits I have received from the Lexapro.The only other side effect (which I view as a befit) is that it since I take it at night it makes me tired and I sleep well without feeling hung over in the morning.
    So....after all these years, [B]I have finally found a medication that works on my anxiety. I actually feel like anxiety is not controlling my life!!!!! I have even been able to cut way back on my Klonpin!
    As far as Wellbutrin is concerned - as you may know, it is the same medication they started using to help people quit smoking. I tried ONE PILL and it was like a Panic Attack in a pill - horrible! I do know that it is not one of of the medications of choice for anxiety. So if you want MY opinion steer clear of Wellbutrin. Good Luck with the Lexapro, give it time I am sure glad I did. Looking forward to hearing of your progress
    God Bless, Mr.Jeff

Last edited by Mr. Jeff; 05-21-2006 at 02:43 PM.

Closed Thread