It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Derealization/dissociation/dizziness

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-24-2006, 06:22 PM   #1
    Exegesis
    Veteran
    (male)

Exegesis HB UserExegesis HB User
    Derealization/dissociation/dizziness

Greetings,

This is the first time I have posted in the Anxiety forum...I think... Anyway, for about a year or so now I have had the soupy, foggy headed feeling that has been described here as dissociation, etc.

The first time I had this was 9 years ago. It seemed to last about a year, then it disappeared as mysteriously as it started. I have had many tests and spent thousands of dollars, but still cannot pinpoint the problem. For a while, I thought I had an inner ear problem; and I still think I might, since I have had tinnitus and related problems in the past. However, even when tinnitus, et. al. are not present, I am in a 24/7 state of fogginess. I feel as though 30 points have been knocked off my IQ.

Having deep, many faceted discussions causes me to have bouts of dizziness. I also have periods of persistent PVC's and occasional waves of great sadness and weeping. I tried Celexa, but this made me feel neutered, and caused sexual side effects. I have tried Valium, and that sometimes helps with the PVC's, but not the brain fog.

I have lost my joy and am not sure what to do. I get tired of Docs saying, "It will pass, it's in your head." Maybe. But your head can make things unbearable. When I was in 7th grade, I had experienced such relentless badgering, that I had horrible lower GI problems. The mind can wreck the body.

Anyway, I suppose I am just venting, as I am sure many of you have experienced many of the same things. Just thought I'd ask if anyone has benefitted in any way from anything. How's that for a bunch of "anys"?

Regards, Brenden.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2006, 07:14 PM   #2
    trg247
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User
    Re: Derealization/dissociation/dizziness

It sounds like you need to find a depression/anxiety medication that will help. Right off the top of med is wellbutrin that has a small number of side effects. Med therapy has "helped" me to a point where I am still not working but at least I am getting out of bed and not so paranoid anymore

take care
    trg247
    Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
    Pristiq
    Cymbalta
    Seroquel
    Temazapam

Old 05-25-2006, 10:45 AM   #3
    SRMom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SRMom HB User

I agree...it sounds like you are suffering from depression. I have heard that Wellbutrin has a more stimulating affect than other AD's and might help clear your brain fog.

Old 05-25-2006, 11:36 AM   #4
    Exegesis
    Veteran
    (male)

Thanks for the replies thus far. I had considered Wellbutrin, and even got a prescription for it, but I have head that it can cause anxiety in people with tendancies that direction. I should also mention that I have OCD, and have, since I was a kid. It is manageble as an adult, but still present.

Regards, Brenden.

Old 05-25-2006, 11:38 PM   #5
    vo-5
    (female)

vo-5 HB User

the fog sounds like depression. I felt retarded and in depression group sessions I've heard other depressed people say the same thing. we know we are smarter, and it's frustrating that things don't come as easy as they used to in our brains. meds and therapy should help. when you find a good med you will be surprised, probably in 4-6 weeks, how much better you will feel and that the fog will be gone. Good luck to you.

Old 05-26-2006, 06:54 AM   #6
    Red Palms
    (male)

Red Palms HB User

Did the brain fog start after a highly stressful event in your life? If it did, then it's likely an anxiety disorder.

Old 05-26-2006, 09:47 AM   #7
    Exegesis
    Veteran
    (male)

Greetings,

Which meds did you try, and which ones worked or didn't?

As for life events; Well, nothing in particular happened at the moment that this all began. However, I had been to the doctor a few times before all this started, and had been lectured on my high blood pressure (avg. 140 to 150 over 85 to 95) and had tried a few meds that worked, but had unbearable side effects. I went through a period of obsessive BP monitoring. Don't know if that contributed. There had been a few very stressful events in the 2 years prior (death of father; lawsuit) but nothing right before.

Regards, Brenden.

Old 05-26-2006, 01:13 PM   #8
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

squeeze your keys in your hand and concentrate on the pain and see if the problems stop for a while
    read up about lightheadedness on the net
    keep trying to find an antidepressant that works for you start with a quarter of the smallest effective dose by splitting the tablet, i dont know if its depression or anxiety but these meds can help both

anything that relaxes the body also relaxes the mind, try hot tubs, jacuzzis, massage, get a book on home massage and get someone to massage you

Old 05-28-2006, 02:49 PM   #9
    Exegesis
    Veteran
    (male)

Hi Harry,

I tried it. My hand hurts, but I don't know if I feel anymore "connected." Oddly, when I read your post, I read "squeeze your KIDNEYS", and I was trying to figure out how I could do that! LOL! Which reminds me, another thing I've noticed is alot of dislexic reading. I love crosswords, and I can't tell you how many times I have read the clues incorrectly. Just like your post, I must have read "kidneys" instead of "keys" 4 or 5 times before I got it right.

Regards, Brenden.

Old 05-31-2006, 05:44 PM   #10
    Exegesis
    Veteran
    (male)

Just a little bump. Any other thoughts?

Brenden.

Old 06-02-2006, 11:45 AM   #11
    comeandrelax
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

comeandrelax HB User

its is also very likey you had an inner ear infection and those can definetly last as long as a year. celion dion just had one. its very common. a common symptom is anxiety and panic and dizzness. im currenty in a bout of inner ear infection or labyrinthitis is what its called. i was told expect up to a year to feel normal again.

its rare to have more than one episode of it but it does happen. go see a neurologist for it

Closed Thread