It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Baaad Buspar!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-27-2006, 05:10 AM   #1
    uhoh101
    (male)

uhoh101 HB User
    Baaad Buspar!

I am new to this board, so hello everyone...

On Tuesday of this week I was prescribed 90 1mg Xanax pills to take 3 times daily, and 300mg Lithium for Bipolar disorder, twice daily.

On the very same day my Xanax pills were stolen by a family member and I had no choice but to file a police report, in hopes to get another refill. I took the police report to my doctor and he refused to refill, even though I had requested to be tapered from the Xanax pills anyways, but he said to give it time.

At that point, either looking like a drug dealer or a drug addict I was told they will no longer advise me, after calling the State Medical board and they told me the best thing to do was to file a complaint for patient Abandonment/Neglect because they did not give a 30 day notice.

I called my Doctor to get his license number for the complaint and was told they would write another prescription, but not for Xanax, but for Buspar. I agreed that it would be fine but I am in no way experienced in this arena as I never really paid attention to my panic attacks due to bipolar, it seems I was only focused on thoughts and now on lithium my mind focuses more well-rounded and I noticed the anxiety and panic attacks were worse than I could even comprehend.

The DR stopped the Xanax cold turkey for me and it's been a couple of days now and the Buspar only makes me very fatigued with tingling sensations in my arms, like electricity jolting every few seconds.

I have been to the ER several times this week because of this, costing me $125 per visit on my co-pay and it's killing me mentally and financially, does anyone agree that my doctor did infact neglect me? Can anyone give any self-help advice until I can find a doctor who is caring for a patient instead of a license number?

Thanks for your advice.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2006, 05:43 AM   #2
    mudhound
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

mudhound HB User
    Re: Baaad Buspar!

Hello and welcome. Your dr could be correct. However, stoping cold turkey is tough.

Mudhound

Old 05-27-2006, 12:38 PM   #3
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

welcome unless you were already well established on some other xanax type med, I dont think you can accuse the doc of making you quit cold turkey, with the risks this brings

xanax or any other valium type med is most useful, you should have tried to get some during your ER visits, offer to take a drug screening test as they may think you are a benzo addict who is making up stories to get more

buspar is a tranquilliser of a different type and has a generally poor reputation, it needs to be taken daily and wont work until taken for about 10 days, the makers spend a fortune on advertising it to docs
    I would be trying to get some other benzos, go back and ask at the ER
    the makers of buspar admit its not helpful for panic attacks
    docs usually prescribe the meds that are the most expensively advertised, rather than the meds that are the best

Old 05-29-2006, 09:27 PM   #4
    uhoh101
    (male)

uhoh101 HB User

I've been on the Xanax for roughly 4 months now ..

The ER kept giving me ativan which helped.

Ty for your input.

Closed Thread