It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• what is buspar?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-04-2006, 08:13 PM   #1
    Wendy88
    Veteran
    (female)

Wendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB User
    what is buspar?

i think it's an anti anxiety med, but Im not sure. I was thinking of asking my dotor about it tomorrow.
    anyone know what it is... or have any luck with this and anxiety?
    thansk!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2006, 08:20 PM   #2
    NitroChic
    Veteran
    (female)

NitroChic HB User
    Re: what is buspar?

Hi Wendy, Nitro's hubby here. I personally take buspar daily and yes its for anxiety and it works quite well. I have been on it for 2 years now and have had very little side effect with it. Only thing I have noticed is upset stomach and deminished sex drive. The upset stomach at times turns into heartburn to the point of having to take antacids. Hope that this helps in your answer.

Old 06-04-2006, 08:36 PM   #3
    Wendy88
    Veteran
    (female)

Wendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB User

hmm diminished sex drive. not good. that's why im going off of Lexapro. I see my doctor tomorrow. I have that issue with a lot of anti depressants. I wasnt sure what buspar was exactly.
    She might put me on Effexor. But I got a lot of mixed responses on that one and sex drive. I might just try it and see... or try the buspar. Im just really sensitive toi meds when it comes to that.
    thanks for the fast reply!!

wendy

Old 06-04-2006, 08:42 PM   #4
    NitroChic
    Veteran
    (female)

NitroChic HB User

What about Zoloft, or Welbutrin? I think they both use the sex drive issue as a selling point.

Old 06-04-2006, 08:47 PM   #5
    Wendy88
    Veteran
    (female)

I'll have to ask my doctor. We have only met twice and that first time she was only thinking at the moment of Lexapro (which I now can rule out) and effexor. I take other meds for acid reflux and sometimes strong meds for a back condition... so I think it limits me from taking certain drugs cause of interactions...
    but maybe zoloft is a real option for me? thanks for the thought. I'll bring it up tomorrow. it's so nice to not have anxiety rule my life these days, I'mndetermined to find something that has side effects I can accept.
    Welbutrin I hear good thngs about... but I like to drink from time to time, and Ive heard it can be dangerous on welbutrin.

Old 06-04-2006, 09:25 PM   #6
    starship
    (female)

starship HB User

After struggling with GAD for many years and having tried many different meds. Buspar is the one that has helped me the most. It takes around ten to twelve days along with dosage adjustments before you start to notice any difference. I have had no sideeffects in comparison to the other meds. My doctor was very surprised in how Buspar has helped me since it is a milder drug in comparison to the others.

Old 06-04-2006, 10:16 PM   #7
    camp808
    (male)

camp808 HB User

I've been on Buspar for 4 years and think it's the thing that turned my life around finally after 17yrs of major depression/anxiety. I'm not as horny anymore, but that could be age, I still lust a lot tho! I'd rather be happy than horny and depressed!

Old 06-04-2006, 10:22 PM   #8
    NitroChic
    Veteran
    (female)

NitroChic HB User

I sure second that motion!!!!! Recalling what I was feeling before, and how I feel now, I am willing to live with the side effects I have. Better that then die without the effects of the meds.

Old 06-04-2006, 11:20 PM   #9
    Wendy88
    Veteran
    (female)

oh i agree.. its just that, I atill have a sex drive but I cant orgasm (im a woman) and well, I just cant give up that part of my life forever. so, Im hoping that I can find a med that, even if it makes me less interested in sex, that when I have it, I can enjoy it on the same, or similar level as I did before.
    we shall see what my doctor has to say about all this. she has given me hints (ive only seen her twice) that she doesnt like to prescribe anti anxiety meds for daily use, and I feel like I need a dialy med. hmm
    anyhpow -
    thanks for all the support. it can be hard discussing such a personal topic, and everyone on this board is so supportive and kind.
    thanks!

Old 06-06-2006, 03:23 AM   #10
    red-rider
    (female)

red-rider HB User

Dear starship and camp808~I am very happy to hear that Buspar has worked for both of you. I just started it a week ago. Only 5mgs a day~for one week~then I will take 5 mgs twice daily after that. I am SO hoping that it works. I take a small dose of Ativan daily which really helps~but if the buspar works~I can wean off the Ativan and take as needed rather than daily~which is a goal of mine. May I ask what your dosage is? and how long it took to really help you? Also~do either of you have panic or just anxiety? I was given the generic(Burisprone-sp?) I hope it works like the name brand? Would love to hear your commments on this med. I do believe some of the older less expensive meds like Buspar have been overlooked for the new pricey SSRI's(which I cannot tolerate). So far Ativan has been my only anchor in the storm!
    Thanx guys RR

Old 06-06-2006, 07:58 PM   #11
    camp808
    (male)

camp808 HB User

Hello! I'm on 30mg a day of buspar - 5mg doesn't seem like very much! One can go up to 60mg a day, i think. I primarily have high anxiety/depression - the docs always said I didn't have the classic panic symptoms. I'm pretty sure one has to take buspar daily to get the right levels in your system, but I haven't experienced any side effects. It still is better than Atvian, I think Atvian can be addictive! write back and let us know how it's goin. Peace

Old 06-08-2006, 03:41 AM   #12
    red-rider
    (female)

red-rider HB User

thanx camp for your reply. Do you take 30 mgs at once? or 15 twice a day? I am now taking 5mgs twice a day~the doc wanted to go slow to lighten any side efffects but I may need more to make it work for me? I guess time will tell. I want to give it a whirl. When I think of all the side effects of most SSRI's I am determined to stick with Buspar. I wish their official website was up so I could get more info that could be helpful but it has been under construction for many months~dont know why??
    RR

Old 06-08-2006, 05:39 PM   #13
    camp808
    (male)

camp808 HB User
    Thumbs up Re: what is buspar?

I'm supposed to take 15mg twice a day but usually take all of it at once b/c I'm used to forgeting the eve dose. I was on 60mg a day but it seemed not to make a difference so I went down to 30 with good results. good luck

Old 06-08-2006, 06:58 PM   #14
    Wendy88
    Veteran
    (female)

yeah - 5 mg i think it like the lowest possible dose. im going ot up it to 10mg if i dont feel anything by next week (my doc. said this was ok).
    we shall see....

Closed Thread