It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• some thoughts on antidepressant meds for anxiety

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-11-2006, 02:02 PM   #1
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
    some thoughts on antidepressant meds for anxiety

doctors usually prescribe the meds that are highly promoted to them, but I doubt that the new, patented and expensive antidepressants are any better that generic prozac, which of course is much cheaper

several prominent psychiatrists chose generic prozac as theit AD of first choice, on the basis that its been used all around the world for a long time and closely studied, so any problems from it would have become appatent by now
    theres always a risk with any brand new AD for the first year or so, several have been quietly withdrawn from the market due to problems such as liver damage becoming apparent, despite no problems occuring in the earlier trials of the med

on weight gain
    theres no evidence that these meds cause any weight gain or loss, fear of weight gain is a popular excuse for not taking them, some may deliberately eat more to gain weight to have an excuse to stop their AD

weight is altered by exercise and the amount eaten, if the AD calms an overactive anxiety sufferer then less food will be needed

dosage
    in general, anxiety sufferers react more and should be started on a low dose, about a quarter of the smallest effective dose, and told to gradually work up, tablets can be split, a pillcutter from a pharmacy helps, there are doubts obout keeping the slow release feature when the pill is cut, ask the pharmacist
    meds that come in a capsule shouldnt be prescribed as splitting the contents is difficult
    benzos always help in getting used to an AD but sadly are nowdays seldom prescribed
    the risk of a bad reaction to an antidepressant should be taken seriously,as this usually stops the SA sufferer from working or functioning for several days and can result in an ambulance trip to hospital. Often the doc never gets to hear what happened as the SA sufferer never returns

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2006, 06:58 PM   #2
    PeskyRabbit
    (female)

PeskyRabbit HB User
    Re: some thoughts on antidepressant meds for anxiety

My gyno recently prescribed Sarafem to me for PMDD, which is Prozac. I haven't started taking it yet though. I'm so super nervous to take meds and I had a horrible reaction to Lexapro about a year ago. I had to miss work and everything. I know that I need meds because I have GAD and PMDD and I have some level of anxiety most days, but I'm too scared of the side effects. I feel so confused and just don't know what to do anymore. You think the Prozac is good?

Old 06-12-2006, 03:54 AM   #3
    americandancer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

americandancer HB User

Prozac is the one ad I haven't tried. My doctor feels it would be too "stimulating" for me since I have anxiety problems. How could I get him to let me try it?

Old 06-12-2006, 08:15 AM   #4
    dinney
    Veteran
    (female)

dinney HB User

so the proxac is NOT recommended for people with anxiety problems too ? Years ago I was on it for quite awhile then quit (thought I was well), then about a year ago Dr. decided I needed to be back on it, 10 mg. capsule and I felt like a TOTAL zombie (was on the weekly one first, NOT GOOD)..have been on cymbalta, lexapro, etc. Just dont' get along with any of them and KNOW I need to suck it up and get on something but really would like not to feel out of body most of the time...wish I could take 1/2 of the 10 mg. to start with but with a capsule ?????...I TOO am SUPER anxious about the side effects, read them and then I have them .....UGH Am on zanex too but do fine with it, take when needed..

Last edited by dinney; 06-12-2006 at 08:17 AM.

Old 06-12-2006, 09:37 AM   #5
    allsorts
    Inactive
    (male)

allsorts HB User

Well, the weight gain bit is debatable in some respects with some having gained weight and others not. For me personally, I've not had any weight gain - with having been on anti-depressants for 9 months.

Old 06-12-2006, 03:07 PM   #6
    edz61
    (male)

edz61 HB User
    Talking Re: some thoughts on antidepressant meds for anxiety

Quote:
    Originally Posted by allsorts
    Well, the weight gain bit is debatable in some respects with some having gained weight and others not. For me personally, I've not had any weight gain - with having been on anti-depressants for 9 months.
    I no longer take any anti-depressent or anti-anxiety drugs but when I was I gained over 10 pounds in one month with REMERON. I never gain any weight. When I stopped taking it I dropped 10+ pounds within two weeks. You have to weigh out the advantages. Some people don't mind weight gain as long as they have their sanity back and like you said eveybody is different

Old 06-13-2006, 07:08 AM   #7
    EmmaNick
    (female)

EmmaNick HB User

Has anyone ever heard of taking wellbutrin for anxiety? I am told it is for depression but a friend of mine in Philly is taking it for anxiety and says it is great.

Closed Thread